Shovelglove coach?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
ezuk

Shovelglove coach?

Post by ezuk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 am

Hello,

As I was going to sleep last night, I realized what was missing in my quest for physical fitness.

I can lose weight. I'm doing it right now:

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I'm not a big guy, but I'm not thin and am not muscular. I have been working on the 100 Push-Ups plan:

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

(Top line shows session total, bottom line shows max done in last set of the session). I am fit enough to do over 100 push-ups in a session (spread over several sets). I can do around 30-40 push-ups in one shot.

Now, I know, from my own experience, I can lose weight. In the past, I've managed to get from 78kg (that's around 170 lbs) to 58 kg (that's 127 lbs). Since then I went up again (as you can see in the graph) but at 66.4, I am now headed in the right direction again.

I don't practice NoS -- but I keep a detailed and consistent food log, writing down everything I eat, and I analyze trends and make my own diet which works for me.

So, to reiterate: I know I can lose weight because I've done it before, and I'm doing it now.

However, what I don't know is if I can get muscular and well-defined.

I have never done that in my entire life (I'm 26). I grew up as a pudgy geek and have never really liked sports of exercise of any kind.

The point is that I don't really "know" I can do it. I know "intellectually" that I can do it, but I'm not really convinced.

So, what I realized I need is someone who actually went down this path.

And I want this one person to guide me, and root for me, and I would be accountable to them and would tell them how it's going, consult with them, etc. I could show them videos of my shugging technique and they'd say if I'm doing it right, etc.

Not a community (though you guys are really great), but one single person who started pudgy and ended up fit and muscular. Someone who's been there himself, and I can really relate to.

Obviously, I do not expect anyone to do this out of the goodness of their heart. But I might be able to barter some of my other skills (I'm a computer guy and a writer).

I'm willing to take before-and-after shots and write a testimonial, if it's for someone trying to build their cred as a coach.

Would anyone here be interested in something like that?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Impressive graphs!

While I'd love to be able to do personalized shovelglove coaching, I'm afraid it's just beyond my bandwidth at present...

But I (and others, I'm sure) would be delighted to "comment on your technique" if you posted videos. It would still be a group thing, technically, but maybe sufficient.

Hmm... maybe I should start a "coach me!" forum. Although I guess the "routines" forum could be overloaded for that...

I guess I should add that I think the most important thing is not technique, but consistently carving out those 14 minutes an N-day (the habitcal is VERY helpful for this). If what you're doing feels good to you, and you actually do it, that's vastly more important than whether you do it exactly like me. Still, it is easier to motivate with a coach or partner -- best of luck in finding one or in making do with "crowd coaching" here.

Reinhard