Reminder/Warning

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Finnigan

Reminder/Warning

Post by Finnigan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm

I had found myself a nicely sized (short handled) 10 lb hammer to use in my Apt. at a flea market. It was obviously old and the handle needed tightening in the head. I bought a new wedge and tightened it up.

Well, recently I had noticed that I could hear the handle lightly popping like the handle had a split that was creaking. I kept looking for it, but couldn't find it.

Last night my wife and restarted our SG workout (we fell off the waggon for a while). We did 14 drive the post to each side, and I moved into shovel coal, and on the first move I felt the head of the hammer shift. I immediately stopped. I grabbed the head of the hammer and gave it a wiggle to see how loose it was and it came off in my hand. The wooden handle completely split apart INSIDE the head.

I will most likely get a new handle for it, but for now I'll borrow a hammer from work. I'm keeping the handle and I cut the split wood off. It makes a nice "whacking stick" to keep in a dark corner or under the bed.

This is just a reminder to remain aware of what you are doing. If I had been absent minded and not felt the head move, the next shovel move would likely have launched the 10 lb head at my wife.

Happy and safe shugging!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Wow. Scary. Glad you detected this in time -- and thanks for the warning.

I guess sledgehammers aren't exactly like cast iron pans....

Reinhard