I've lost seven pounds plus in three months shovelgloving

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
dittany

I've lost seven pounds plus in three months shovelgloving

Post by dittany » Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm so surprised. I didn't start shovelgloving to lose weight but to get stronger and ward off osteoporosis in my future (weight training is important to keep women's bones strong), but I went and weighed myself in a chemist's yesterday, and I'm down to 136 after being between 140-150 for the last few years. I'd already noticed my clothes were looser and I'd dropped a size.

I do do quite a few hindu squats, I'm up to about 70 each time, and somehow I've got a feeling that they might be the reason, although obviously its impossible to tell for sure.

I just can't believe that 14 minutes exercise a day can have such striking results. Why doesn't everybody know about this???

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Congratulations and thanks for letting us know!
I just can't believe that 14 minutes exercise a day can have such striking results. Why doesn't everybody know about this???
You got me. :-)

I'm still hoping eventually they will.

Reinhard

dittany

Post by dittany » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Well I'm going to be singing its praises to anyone who wants to listen. I really am amazed that only fourteen minutes a day is enough to make a difference.

I did a lot of exercise in my twenties (I was a rower so had to be pretty fit) but like all those kind of things that take huge time demands the rowing and the training that went with it fell by the wayside, and in the past few years really the only exercise I've been getting is walking.

This is ideal, because if it was more than fourteen minutes I just wouldn't do it - I wouldn't be able to psyche myself up on a regular basis.

The other bonus of fourteen minutes is that it's much easier to just go for it and do as much as possible, because you want to fit all the exercises in before the timer goes off. On the other hand I can remember plenty of time spent in the gym on a Saturday morning just looking at the rowing machine or the weights and thinking "this is going to hurt" and then taking my time about getting started. On the other hand fourteen minutes with Shovelglove, and it's over. A lot of the time it's fun of course, but on the days it isn't, fourteen minutes isn't too much to do.