Intervals or Reps?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Djemps

Intervals or Reps?

Post by Djemps » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 pm

While browsing through various threads on the forum, I've found that a lot of 'shuggers' include a certain amount of reps per movement in their 14 minute routine.

E.g. 50x Fireman on the Left side and then 50x Fireman Right....

I recently downloaded an Interval Timer on my phone and have been using it when shugging. I don't pay attention to reps but instead try to keep up a steady pace for the whole interval. Then I rest for a few seconds before starting another interval. Let give you a few examples.

When I want a 'heavy' workout I will do:

Six sets at 2:10 each with 0:12 rests between.

This allows me a total of Three unique movements, Left and Right sides being worked for 2:10 each. That equals 13 minutes of work and Five 0:12 rest intervals add up the final minute to make 14:00 total.

If I want something lighter, I will do:

Eight sets 1:36 each with 0:10 rests.

Conceivably, I could end up doing more reps on my dominant side since I'm not keeping track. But so far I have not noticed a huge difference between sides.

Has anyone else tried something like this?

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:45 am

I've done something similar with a boxer's interval called "minute drills".

Here's an example from Ross Enamait's Site:
Ross wrote:Burpees x 30 seconds
Jumping jacks x 30 seconds
Split jumps x 30 seconds
Repeat (total time = 3 minutes)
Rest 30 to 60 seconds and complete 4 to 6 rounds
I usually do a combination of bodyweight and SG moves when I do these (though I haven't for a long time). It's fun to mix things up and use different moves, take out the "repeat" and put in 6 different ones, do three moves for a a minutes each, etc.

And there's the Tabata Interval, which I don't recommend doing with a shovelglove. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

infoproj

Post by infoproj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm

This is a good point - a time based system is preferable for the long haul.

If you are concerened about targets then go for reps, however this is ultimately self-defeating in that you become obsessed with the target. Any less than your last total is a failure. Take time off due to illness and you'll be disheartened at how much fitness you have lost. In other words it introduces a subtle but constant pressure to your life.

If you are just doing a time-based routine, results are irrelevant. Some days you'll do loads of reps, bad days you'll do a few. You never 'cheat' because the time is constant, you just adjust the workload to how you are feeling. So you never get the chance to beat yourself up as long as you hit the timeslots fairly regularly.

I have adopted a similar approach with cycling and in effect opted out of the exercise rat-race.