Shovelling without the glove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Hoeka

Shovelling without the glove

Post by Hoeka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 am

Been thinking about starting SG, and wanted to "test-drive" it before committing and buying yet another piece of junk exercise equipment. :lol: :lol:

So, I decided to call the spade a shovel and tackled my compost heap. Now, I'm a dedicated greenish gardener, so there's lots of compost to be turned. But, also I have a wonderful gardener who looks after the compost & turns it when necessary. So this was new & alien. We've also had lots & lots & yet more lots of rain. So the soil is soggy. Soggy soil is heavy. Heavy soil is hard work.

I managed a heroic 5 mins and had very little to show for it. But: I enjoyed it. Today's mission is to figure out a way to let both sides get a workout: it was akward throwing the soil to my right, so I only used the more natural, fluid right-to-left motion.

Going to visiting my parents this weekend. If Dad has a sledgehammer in his storeroom, his cheapskate daughter will appropriate it. :D
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare