Podcast #84: The Hygiene Hypothesis as the Explanation for Everything

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast #84: The Hygiene Hypothesis as the Explanation for Everything

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 pm

Enjoy!

Episode 84: The Hygiene Hypothesis as the Explanation for Everything
Cure all your ailments with dirt, pain and danger

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode/84/

NoSDoc

Re: Podcast #84: The Hygiene Hypothesis as the Explanation for Everything

Post by NoSDoc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:44 pm

Dear Reinhard!

I absolutely agree with your hypothesis! I sometimes think of this in other words: you don't gain strength living a soft life. And especially we living in "the first world" have quite soft lives: never hungry, cold, miserable, in danger etc. No wonder we have so many week people around - physically and mentally. I think strength comes from going beyond your perceived limits. I am very intrigued with this idea. I like to watch/read/listen to all these stories from ultra athletes and special forces selection etc. where people put themselves through hard times and come out stronger, with more confidence and energy.
HOWEVER: when I look at my life and observe it honestly I am much more in the team: "systematic moderation" than "extreme challenges". I sometimes wonder how these 2 worlds go together. Do you have an idea on that, an educated guess?
Probably consistency and continuous work is also a form of strength?! Perhaps systematic moderation prepares oneself for going beyond one's limits SOMETIMES - which might be more healthy and wise in the long run? Perhaps it is more "both and" than "either or"?! It's all speculation from my side. I really think of this a lot and have not come to a conclusion that brings those 2 worlds together: "systematic moderation" and "going beyond one's limits".
I'd be happy to get you perspective on that!

All the best from southern Germany, where we have a beautiful spring and still some snow in the Alps - really beautiful! :D

Stefan

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 pm

Thank you for this thoughtful response, Stefan!

I think, high-level, the way to bring moderation + challenge together is two fold:

1. "Exposure therapy" on all fronts. So seeking challenges -- but moderate and controlled challenges, that are likely to stretch but not break us. To the extent that we have control over things this is a great approach. This is something we can actively do ("spider hunter," etc.)

2. When "uncontrolled" challenges jump out at us, pain or fear or spiders beyond anything we would ever have sought out ourselves (as will eventually happen, even in our modern, hygienic lives), instead of simply freaking out, we can try to take a breath and seek the "exposure value" in these situations not of our choosing. This is more a matter of prep than action, or maybe re-action. The value we gain from these crises may be small compared to collateral damage of the larger shock or trauma, but it maybe be something, and it may be important, and it may be the only way such things can ever be obtained.

Reinhard

NoSDoc

Post by NoSDoc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 pm

Dear Reinhard!

Thanks for your response and sorry for my late answer. I totally agree with what you write. For most of us for the biggest part of our lives this will be our approach.
But still I somehow miss a third category: willingly / conciously taking up a BIG challenge. Something like: I will climb Mount Everest without oxygen or I will loose 100 pounds and become a Navy SEAL or I will marry again after having been abused or we fly to the moon or whatever the challenge may be. Something where failure is likely. The stuff that inspires people. Or is it only me who gets inspired by such stories? That could also be and tell some things about me and end the discussion... ;-)
Perhaps these people practice systematic moderation in all other areas of their lives and have a "big challenge" in one aspect? Who knows? Or they gather strength for quite some time practicing systematic moderation which enables them later to go "all in"?

Reinhard - at least I enjoy this "philosophy conversation"!

All the best

Stefan