OMG, like-minded people! (New here)

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
kccc

OMG, like-minded people! (New here)

Post by kccc » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:51 pm

I found the No-S diet through Mark Forester's review, scanned the page, thought "makes sense" - and have been doing it for about 3 weeks pretty successfully.

I have been doing Weight Watchers for a few years, since metabolic slowdown coincided with a baby, followed by a new (stressful) job. WW works, but it takes a LOT of attention. I lost to my goal, but then have struggled with gaining back 5-10 lbs whenever I go off for a while. I usually catch myself around 5 and start "paying attention" WW-style long enough to lose it. Lather, rinse, repeat. This kept my weight reasonably in control, but I was tired of the cycle. I just don't have time/energy to pay THAT much attention.

This system is SO much easier, and I have a better relationship with food using it. (So far anyway.) Started at the top of my range, am now at the bottom. And may even go on to lose those very LAST five pounds that never left after the baby - who knows?

Came back to the No-S page to show my husband, and actually followed enough links to find the rest of the site. Aha! Everyday systems is pretty much equivalent to my own notions of "Just Enough Structure" (TM). Enough structure to give guidance and make decisions clear, not so much that management itself becomes overwhelming.

And as this site points out, JES is usually linked to habit formation. Flylady calls them "routines" - you build routines that work. (Flylady is a house-keeping site - very, very cutesy and a bit much, but sound in its core idea, which I've just given you. And it offers some useful strategies and concepts. Just don't try to do it all at once.)

So... glad to be here, interested in the general approach. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:23 am

Welcome, KCCC. I'm so happy to hear no-s has been working for you.

And thanks for posting your "just enough structure" formulation. Though I haven't expressed it quite the same way, it's a very nice way of expressing it, and the concept is key to most of the everyday systems.

http://nosdiet.com/#micromanage
You have just enough direction to do your job, but not so much that you resent its imposition. You have a solid framework, but the details are up to you. You have sufficient guidance and sufficient freedom. It's a system without too much system.
Reinhard