sugarmama4Him's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sugarmama4Him

sugarmama4Him's Check-In

Post by sugarmama4Him » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I started on Monday and have done pretty well, just wanted to post everyday to keep myself accountable. I'm married, 36-year-old, have two kids: Nicholas, an almost 2-year-old redhead, and Lily Anne, a 6-month-old brunette. I also work as a Christian counselor while my husband works as Mr. Mom.

I'm pretty sick and tired of diets where I get on the diet and all goes well, except that I can't eat something that I'd normally eat...like carbs. Recently I've done the Sonoma diet and the Maker's Diet. I like both of those diets, especially the sonoma diet's pretty easy, but with two young kids and a picky husband, I really don't have a lot of time for all of the cooking, etc.

Plus, last time I was very frustrated on the Maker's Diet because I lost 5 pounds in two weeks, yet went off diet for a couple of days because I couldn't afford it, and literally gained 5 pounds in 3 days!

btw, also nursing, but Lily Anne is almost 7 months and is eating babyfood and doens't nurse as often. Milk supply is built up, so I'm not concerned about that, but will watch if I get a little dizzy or feel like I need to eat something, I'll definitely eat.

God bless,
Height 5'2''
SW: 165
GW: 115

Jesus said, "I am the bread that gives life! No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who has faith in me will ever be thirsty," (John 6:35).

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Welcome to the boards, so happy to have you here. I have found this to be the most supportive, empathetic group of people that I have ever posted with. AND they are a lot of fun.

I have been successful on the plan but have deviated in that I do not treat the weekends much different from the rest of the week - no S Days Gone Wild for me as my goal was to develop healthy and sane eating patterns. I am more likely to have an S treat now and then (as in this past week I made strawberry shortcake for our anniversary).

I love to exercise and find that to be not only a release but an important part of my success.

I post on my daily thread every single day and am totally honest about what/when I eat and whether or not I have gotten in my desired exercise. That accountability is what has meant the most to be, knowing that I will have to "report" what I do (whether anybody else is reading it or not, although I do have a lot of friends stop by and invite you to do so as well).

Best wishes on your journey to better health. :wink:
Berry

determined

Post by determined » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Welcome!!

I agree with Berry...this is a wonderful place to get some encouragement & support.

Have you read the book yet? It's the best place to learn so much about how & why this plan works. I'd highly recommend it.

BTW...love the verse!

Come back often & welcome again....Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 am

Welcome! Great to see another mom of young ones. I have a 3-year-old!

Hope you had a great day!

sugarmama4Him

1 Week Down...a lifetime to go

Post by sugarmama4Him » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone! It's nice to meet you all, and I hope that we can all encourage each other!

First successful week on no S. I won't say that it was easy, but I survived. The weekend was fine. I definitely didn't binge, which was my biggest fear. I did have a few treats such as an ice cream and a soda.

I had a good start for the week. I certainly didn't eat any snacks, seconds, or sweets, but definitely need to add more veggies and fruits in order to make my meals count more nutritionally.

I'm really good with dinners, but lately my breakfast and lunches have been out of wack:

Today I had pancakes for breakfast, hamburger for lunch, and salmon with green beans for dinner. I watched my portions which was good, but again, I need more nutrients. And I almost ate chocolate tonight without thinking, but having a cup of coffee instead helped me!

Oh, and since I'm recovering from a complete obsession with weighing myself every morning, I'm not going to weigh myself until I've done this for a full month.

Blessings!
Height 5'2''

Jesus said, "I am the bread that gives life! No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who has faith in me will ever be thirsty," (John 6:35).

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 pm

You're doing awesome.

I LOVE your verse!

sugarmama4Him

Post by sugarmama4Him » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:01 am

Last night I didn't go to sleep until around midnight, so after midnight I had a little midnight snack. I know it's still within the boundaries of the diet, but I still felt like it was binging. I seem to have the 5 days down really well, and I stick with the 3 plates a day rule. But like a lot of people, that temptation is still for me on the weekends.

I haven't weighed myself since I've started 3 weeks ago, but I feel like I've lost a couple of pounds since I'm fitting into a smaller pair of pants. DH said something this morning that really, really set me off and I was struggling with it. It was about my weight and something along the lines of, "you're not going to keep gaining weight and end up like my mom are you?"

And it was hurtful, but I've made the decision to forgive and move on (after a "discussion" of course and he did apologize), but now after I've done a little bit of binging today, I've decided that I'm definitely going to start up the exercise again. I've been struggling with exercise because I walk outside for exercise. However, here in Texas, we have been in like our 40-something straight day of 100-plus weather and it's way too hot to take the kids and go walk in the heat.

So, I picked up an exercise dvd from the library (Tae-bo, maybe a little too ambitious), and I've decided to either walk really early in morning before weather is too hot (around 6 a.m. since it's around 90 degrees that early here in TX and much hotter even around 8am or 9).

And I've also decided that for now, my only S day every week will be Saturday, and by Sunday, I want to get back on track after my out of control Saturdays. So I'll see how this goes starting tomorrow.

Another thing that I want to do is to try to fill my plate with half fruits and vegetables. I have felt as if I haven't quite been eating enough fruits and veggies lately, so I'm going to start now.

Also, so far these few weeks I've felt really yucky after my s days and think that I need to get back on track on Sundays so that when I go back to work on Mondays, I don't feel terribly yucky.

Overall, I feel pretty proud of myself for getting into this new mindset. My body seems to be adjusting to eating less. When I do eat more on my S days, I feel that I'm much more aware of my bingeing and I'm much more fuller sooner than I would have been before doing No-S.
Height 5'2''

determined

Post by determined » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 pm

I wish we could sit over a cup of tea & chat. I could have written so much of your post...and I can absolutely understand the mental wrestling of this adventure being so very difficult. I'm not sure why that part is so strong, but it's the hardest part for me.

I love the verse on your signature so I feel as if I can share another verse with you. I thought about II Corinthians 10:3-5 this morning. You probably know them...the "taking every thought captive" verses. I really think this passage fits what we are fighting because this internal battle is one that takes so much of my energy & my joy. I not only want to win this because I want to be healthy, but because anything that occupies this much of my life is something I want demolished. Anyway...let me know what you think.

Hang in there....you're absolutely doing better than you think...

Determined...
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 pm

sugarmama4Him wrote:Another thing that I want to do is to try to fill my plate with half fruits and vegetables. I have felt as if I haven't quite been eating enough fruits and veggies lately, so I'm going to start now.
I also use a 9 inch dinner plate, well in today's society it would be considered a salad plate. I started to use it about a year ago and love it. I also read the diet book 9 Inch Plate "diet", which is not really a diet book at all..just shows how much we in Amercia have supersized our lives. Just a thought, I know it helps me, if I used the 12 inch plate I would be way overdoing it.

I also have fruit at the end of each meal and it truly helps keep one satisfied.

Like you, I want to start my No S on Sundays...one day on the weekend is all I can handle with going over the top.

There is also a post for people that started in Jun/Jul/Aug if you want to stop by there and visit us.

Welcome!

Mmmm, I'm a Christian too and wonder if we should start a post with everyone's favorite scriptures!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:19 pm

[quote="NoSnacker"
Mmmm, I'm a Christian too and wonder if we should start a post with everyone's favorite scriptures![/quote]

Love that!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

sugarmama4Him

Post by sugarmama4Him » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am

determined, I love that passage and think that it does apply to us. It is a struggle that takes place in our mind: our thoughts. We have this inward struggle of, "I'm having a bad day...do I indulge and overeat to make myself feel better?"

Or, we also have thoughts like, "I'm overweight, therefore I'm not as good as so-and-so who weighs like 90 pounds!"

I really love Paul's words in Philippians 4 which remind me, "whatever things are true," and I know that these thoughts that I wrestle with above aren't true. So we do need to "take these thoughts captive."

but alas, No Snacker, you are right...maybe we do need a thread of all of our favorite Bible verses! Really good idea! I also love your idea about the nine inch plates and want to implement that.

i'll be praying for you both to experience God's work in your lives this week!
Height 5'2''

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

I'm sure you will enjoy the 9 inch plate..buy yourself a pretty one,,you might even have to buy a childs plate..I love mine, I really do..when I try to use the large one, I'm like oh this feels too big and not right...

K, I'll start a post about favorite scriptures..under "Off Topic".

deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8