Building a Lifestyle

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LFC2011

Building a Lifestyle

Post by LFC2011 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am

This is day one for me. I've set a couple of rules for myself to go along with NO S to try and break the diet mentality (which is very hard to do).

1. No more diet books/articles. After years of dieting I know all I need to know about nutrition and my body.

2. I'm skipping the scale...for now. I want to focus on just following NO S and making it a true lifestyle change.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Welcome! Wow...those two are HUGE! I think giving up those two things would be lifechanging for me too!!! Great thoughts! Hope you have a wonderful week!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Sounds like your off to a good start!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

LFC2011

Post by LFC2011 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Day one was a FAILURE
I gave in to a snack. A small snack. Wasn't hungry and didn't need it.

Thought for Today:

I'm trying to speak and think kindly about my body. It has allowed me to function in this world for 35 years with no accidents, major illnesses, or surgeries. I've been able to grow two lives and nurse them afterward. I may not have given it the best care but it still deserves more positive words from me. Instead of cringing when I look at it in the mirror, I'll begin to thank God for wonderful machine that it is!