Miyabi's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Miyabi

Miyabi's Check In

Post by Miyabi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I've wandered in and out of No S for a couple of years. I had some initial success with it for about six weeks - followed it perfectly and lost 12 pounds. Then I fell off the wagon, but I've managed to keep off the 12 - it seems my sweets habit has been permanently reduced, anyway.

To help me get back on the wagon I want to try using the check-in to aid with my particular weakness, which is late afternoon/early evening snacking. I came up with a mod for myself a while back that seems to help a lot, which is: I have to have dinner for my family planned by the time I leave for work in the morning. Knowing what I'm making seems to help me refrain from eating.

I'm able to post from our office, so I'm thinking I'll make it part of my morning work routine to post whether I succeeded. Even if I've failed I'll still have time to fix it before the witching hour arrives.

For today - success! I not only planned it, I got most of it done already with a pot roast in the slow cooker.
Last edited by Miyabi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Success this morning, have a plan. It does involve having to stop at the store after work for fish, though, which doesn't always work out. It helps that graduate school daughter is home for the weekend. She was a very fussy eater as a kid, then was a vegetarian, and now has left it all behind to become a full fledged omnivore foodie. She not only ate the pot roast last night, she asked which part of the cow it came from, and examined the side of beef drawing in the cookbook with interest. Now if her younger brother would get on board....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, a failure on planning this morning. On the bright side I did realize that I'd failed two blocks after leaving the house, so there's a bell ringing in there somewhere. Mondays are probably the hardest to remember, so should consider checking in on weekends too. I do have a plan now.

The weekend went pretty well. Saturday somewhat wild, but Sunday much better. I grilled a lot of chicken that can go into salad, and will work as a leftover dinner tomorrow - there, tomorrow is planned.....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 am

Success with planning this morning. But I had a red day yesterday due to a failure at the end of the day - my husband wound up eating a business dinner out, and son was otherwise involved, so I wound up snacking my way through the evening. This was after my morning failure at dinner planning. I need some strategies for this situation, which happens at least once a week, and will increase after son goes to college next year.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Planning success. Making one of son's favorites - he will be hearing whether he got into his top choice college tonight, so this will most likely be an attempt at comfort food (since the school has pretty much a negative acceptance rate). Silly because he is not someone who looks to food for comfort, in fact he probably won't want to eat.....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 pm

easy planning today - we'll have last night's dinner, since son didn't get in and didn't eat. I just had a can of soup and H went to another function.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 am

WELCOME Miyabi! You're doing a great job!! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, NoSRocks. I'm still having snacking issues, but I think the dinner planning will help me in the long run.

For tonight, I'm making one of my childhood foods, Spanish rice, as comfort food for me and my husband. Maybe that will help keep the snack monster away.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 pm

All set for today. There should be some leftovers that people will actually eat, too!

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Well, I did plan what we'll eat before I left the house - not a great plan, involves frozen entrees, but not random anyway. Last night DH hurt himself running - insists on running at night- and we were at the ER and the all-night pharmacy till 1 AM. He'll be OK but needs attention, and I'm short on sleep, so cooking is going to suffer.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 pm

ok, chicken is marinating away. Time to dust off the grill. I even managed to have a green day yesterday, not too many of those lately.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:21 pm

There's a plan for tonight. Really, really simple, and son can start it before I get home. Just trying to get these simple plans accomplished is highlighting some problem spots. It should be in my power to do something about them, sometime....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, failed yesterday on dinner planning. Son survived on leftovers, which is fine. I'm not doing this tracking to do a better job feeding my son and husband, but to give myself a break from having to think about dinner in the afternoon and evening.

I'm not going to track weekends for planning. But I do have one for tonight.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Success on planning for today, good old clay pot chicken, the easiest thing in the world, will produce leftovers too.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

OK, made a truly simple plan for tonight. Last night turned out to be not so simple. The chicken was too big for the clay pot - it fit inside, but when it's too big it makes a lot of juice that bubbles over into the bottom of the oven and burns...and I forgot that with H's broken collarbone he can't help with cleanup as he often does. The whole thing took way too long and I wound up munching while waiting, giving me a red day.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 am

Stir fry tonight. It's a good thing I'm only tracking plans and not completion, or last night would be a fail!

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:30 am

Forgot to post yesterday, but it was a planning success. And another today. Lots of other No S failures, and exercise on one day only. My dog has just reminded me that the weekend and his long walks are coming, and I have some good podcasts saved, so looking forward to some nice S days.....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Success for tonight. I feel pretty silly sometimes that this is so hard for me, since I don't really mind cooking, I just mind having to make decisions about cooking. I had a talk with a friend the other day whose husband retired a while ago, and he has taken over cooking. She says she used to stress over dinner planning too, but now she just comes home and pitches in to help and finds it very pleasant. So maybe it isn't just me....

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:24 pm

Welcome! I agree about the menu planning ahead helping! I plan Mon-Sat. once a week and it really helps me a lot!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi reneew, sorry I don't know how to make the squiggly thing in front of your name. I admire anyone who can do weekly menu planning. I've never been able to do it! Maybe if I practice this for a while I can get to 2 days...

Success for tonight because I'm going to a sports "banquet" which is really a potluck buffet and is generally very good. The challenge is to go through only once and avoid the end of the line where the desserts are lined up.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

back to grilled chicken tonight. At last night's potluck, I was fine with one plate of non-sweet food. I noticed that hanging around afterwards talking to people was harder, because there were boxes of cookies still sitting out, which I didn't have, but they called out to me.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:02 am

chicken revsisited, since no one was around to eat last night, with baked potato S can start before I get home. I have to remember to pay attention whether having this in the bag makes the afternoon easier.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Success for today, but had a failure Friday which I forgot to post. Double failure?

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Had to eat out for the last two days so no meal planning required, but I should have posted that here anyway to get in the habit. While travelling yesterday I had an easier time with No S than I do at home. The snack cues are missing when I travel....I do have a plan for tonight

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:16 pm

started to post this am and was interrupted. I did make a plan for tonight. Have yet another admitted student open house in Boston tomorrow - these tend to be N- friendly days as they run you around on a schedule with free buffet lunch in the middle. Gluttony, or the ice cream sundae bar, could be visibly embarrassing, as various deans, professors, etc tend to appear at your table (though they may just be after the free food too).

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am

success, easy one for tonight. Over the weekend I had - pretty much an N day while running around Boston, in spite of all the opportunities there, but a wild S day at home around the food. I lost a little weight over the weekend, so something to think about is to stay out of the house doing something active at least one day of the weekend!

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Easy one tonight because I can make what I had planned for last night. Son actually called me at work yesterday and offered to make dinner for all of us! He's trying to curry favor for going to the costly college of his choice, so we need to take advantage of this for as long as possible.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 am

Last week fell apart with posting about plans, actual plans, sticking to a plan, and in every other way. Have to get back on track here. Tonight we're going out but the rest of the week should be ordinary.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm

the good thing about a week as messed up as this one is that one days' plan lasts all week. Tonight maybe I will get to cook my super-marinated chicken. ..

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Success in planning for tonight. Son has track meets 2 days in a row so I'm doing his pasta carb loading option. I think he is taking advice from the 2-meal Mike guy they are discussing today - he eats 3 meals, but his options are extremely limited. Whatever, next year he's on the college meal plan.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Back to another pre-track meet day, so another pasta night. Last week I didn't post my plans at all. I see I had functions or worked late every night. I probably need to ratchet my definition of dinner down even further (though it's pretty low already) , at least for the next two months.....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Success for this morning. I cut up and marinated meat for a stir fry. I can cut up vegetables when I get home, or if that seems like a lot I think I have a frozen stir fry mix lurking in the back of the freezer.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

success for today, but failed yesterday and wound up not posting anything and eating junk in the evening. Had perfectly nice leftovers in the fridge that my son and husband ate but I did not. Have to admit that if I can't/won't take a minute to plan, it means I am planning - I'm planning to have one of my evening mini-binges. Because I think the day will be stressful and I'm going to need it, I deserve it, etc.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 am

Time to get back on track. I have been planning pretty well lately but not checking it in. Yesterday was a success with planning and a green day....this morning I had to get up at 4 PM to take my daughter to the airport, so planned leftovers for tonight!

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Have a minimalist plan for tonight involving packaged things. There's a school event starting at 6:30, and two more of those this week. I get home at 6 pm at the earliest, so I'm looking at "cooking" at 8 pm at the earliest.

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

In the bag for tonight (marinating bag). And dodged the cookie bullet at the reception last night, yeah!

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 pm

another school night. I managed to get something in the slow cooker and to throw some of last night's dinner in a lunch bag. But this plus walking the dog left no time for breakfast.....

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm

another school night. Problem is with these things is that I don't want to eat in a rush before going, but then don't feel like a whole dinner when I get back, and have the snacky winey urge instead. So tonight we'll have something sort of snacky that needs no further cooking, and see if that helps.