Bingeing

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mo&Maggie

Bingeing

Post by Mo&Maggie » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Just started the eating plan (HATE "diet") last Thursday, so a week today. Really doing well on the non-S days but boy did I hang one on the entire weekend. Why do I binge if I know I can eat what I want on the weekend? Maybe because I don't really beleive it?? I'm in a terrible panic that this will be my pattern (as it has been for the past several months). I'm sure hundreds of you have gone through this. HELP. Many thanks.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 am

I think that is normal starting out. Having fails is normal starting out too. It's the fact that you kept going, and your successes will eventually start to outweigh your binges.

Try not to worry about weekends too much, and focus on what you really want, rather than feeling obligated to eat lots of goodies (something I struggle with!)

best of luck :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 am

It's definitely normal for a lot of people starting out here (me included!). I understand your panic - it is scary to feel so out of control on the weekends at the beginning but it does serve a purpose - to make you feel secure enough to be able to build the habit during the week. And then ever so gradually things start to level out.

What you will gain is a feeling of freedom and peace around food that is unbelievable. Hang in there!