Jen's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Jen's Daily Check In

Post by jld141 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

I've been doing No S since the beginning of May but have had a lot of red days. I think it's time for me to do the 21 day challenge, and hopefully by posting it on here it'll become easier for me to resist temptation to snack.

I don't have too much weight to lose, I'm 5'3'' and 135 pounds. I'd like to lose about 20 pounds.

DAY 1: No S...let's see how today goes!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Welcome, Jen!
I'm doing a 21 day challenge too and we can do this!
It helps me to not think of it as 21 days or that may overwhelm me.
Just be compliant today. And then again tomorrow and before you know it, 21 days will go by and your habit will be stronger!
Good luck!
Liz

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks for the support Liz! I really hope to lose weight finally once and for all. I've been trying so many things only to lose about 5 pounds and then go right back up again. I really hope this time it sticks.

Today was a successful No S day, although I think I had a little bit more than 1 plate full at lunch. But at least I didn't have any snacks!

For any long time No S'ers: does it REALLY get easier after 21 days? When can I expect to be on autopilot and to not be tempted at all?

Time to do it again tomorrow!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeahhh so today was a failure. I was doing okay, and then my grandma offered me a piece of cake, and I tried to resist at first, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. I know that this is no excuse, but at the time I was weak and gave in. And I felt bad for cheating after that and was still starving because I had a very small lunch so I had a snack before dinner. I had a small dinner though so I overall didn't eat too much today, but I still don't feel as good as I do on a normal No S day.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better... I'm getting tired of saying that! I know No S will work, I just keep messing up!

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu May 17, 2012 1:41 am

I know the feeling!! I keep messing up too! But I do believe this plan is the best way to lose weight and relax about food.

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Ugh another day of messing up. I've decided that peanut butter is going to be an S food for me, because I can't seem to stop eating it once I start!

Why can't I get going on this plan??? I need to just focus and really try harder because I'm starting to think about giving up!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:46 am

Don't give up and try not to be so hard on yourself! I had a ton of fails my first month on No-S and I feel that now, after 7 weeks I am finally starting to get the hang of it (and I still have fails!) At the same time, I am feeling much more positive and peaceful about food and eating than I have in a very long time...

If you want to gain a normal relationship with food, this is an awesome place to be.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat May 19, 2012 9:57 am

Ditto to what Amy said...don't give up. Perhaps allow yourself the peanut butter on the weekends, this way you won't feel so deprived and you'll have something to look forward to.

I came back to No S 15lbs heavier so truly there is no weight loss plan out there that will work for the long term and we are all wanting long term success I'm thinking.

I had my first fail after coming back on 3/19, most important thing it to make adjustments and move past it and most importantly it is better to stop a binge and start from where you are to put off getting back on track.

It was hard for me yesterday after my fail, just a lot of self talk. I'm happy it is the weekend for sure...I look forward to my weekends after complying all week.

You can do it, takes time, some people get it right away, others it takes a few attempts...I'm the later...but that is okay :)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks for all of the advice! I've decided to stick with it. I was good the past couple of days. I guess I'm just going to be one of those people that doesn't get it right away...it may take me a few tries, but I want to lose weight more than anything!