kristine... hello!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kristine

kristine... hello!

Post by kristine » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello!

I was going to lurk, but decided to be accountable and lay out all my demons. Also, I was turned onto No S through my BFF, LVBopeep. We're battling together!! Lurking is my usual style... but here we all are.

Stats:

Almost 40 SWF, 5'7-8", current weight (uuuuuugh, can't believe I'm coming clean) is 185#, no kids, no current boyfriend. Been fat since toddlerhood, never had a skinny day in my life. Heaviest I've even been is about 205#, lightest ever is about #160. Fairly active with work and home life although I have fallen off the exercise wagon. I love to walk, but usually can't find the time, or ambition to do it.

I'm bringing to the No S dinner table usual busload of demons and baggage. Self esteem issues( everyones got them!), (huge)work anxiety, mild depression, mommy issues, and healthy dose of unhealthy alcohol consumption. Oh, and laziness!

I've been doing No S for almost 3 weeks and been very happy with it, so far. Fell off one day when there was a birthday party for one of the interns at a local restaurant where food is served family style, but still didn't pig out too bad... and NO desert. Biggest problem has been the glass ceiling. Alcohol is the flag bearer for the rest of my challenges, food, fat ass, mental issues, personal accountability... That being said, drinking has gone WAY down, except for a few slips.

Changes noticed: No big weight loss, but less stress about food... less fear of really screwing up and associated guilt. Greater sense of control over food and social drinking, personal time. And (sorry gentlemen) no ravenous, uncontrollable hunger while PMSing.

The article about 45 days to form a new habit is favorited and hit home... love the Urban Ranger forum... walking is my thing!

Feel like I've been to an AA meeting... taking a seat now

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Wow. That is throwing it all right out there...with a sense of humor. I wish you luck!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

LvBoPeep

Post by LvBoPeep » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

:lol: Hey there :)!
Jaime