are people still posting check ins here?!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MelodyWrites57

are people still posting check ins here?!

Post by MelodyWrites57 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Greetings, here it is September 18, 2012 and I just discovered this "No S" gang! I like the concept and I've been trying it out for just a few days now. I used to be over 100 pounds overweight, but went through a weight management program and am now only 40 pounds overweight, but I've also found that I've slacked off a lot and am stagnant and cannot seem to get rid of the rest of the weight I need to lose...I think these last 40 pounds will take it over the top as far as my type II diabetes, etc., is concerned... So anyway, here I am checking in, but not sure if anyone is even reading this. Day 1 went pretty smoothly. I've already learned the art of replacing sweets with healthy alternatives -- i.e., fruit in place of pastries or cakes, etc., you get the picture. and it's not hard to say no to seconds. HOWEVER, what's been more challenging is the "no snack" thing! I'm accustomed to snacking. yet now I find that I probably didn't need to snack so much! although I'm eating healthier, I'm not practicing a lot of self-discipline. I eat whenever I feel the least bit hungry even if it isn't meal time. So I think this is really going to help me. Only time will tell for sure.

over the weekend, I indulged a bit on Saturday -- guacamole and homemade tortila chips brought over to my house were hard to say no to...but then I thought, oh yeah, it's an S day... it's okay. then on Sunday I ate pretty healthy -- my one indulgence was to snack on a bunch of organic grapes, seriously! I thought, okay I can't just snack on grapes, but I can include a few grapes in my actual MEAL right? but on the S days, it's cool.

so this is Day 5 of the No S Diet -- I'm hanging in there. Ate my usual oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast -- and some grapes (see the organic grapes are in season right now...so that's what I usually go with). I bring food to work that I can prepare...easier than going out, although I could go out to eat as long as I order something helathy and count it as my meal...healthy means not eating any sweets or seconds.
Melody

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:54 am

Yes people are reading. It helps me to read the posts of others. I may agree or disagree at times with the views expressed, but it helps me form new ideas for myself in this journey.

People here encourage you when you are down and cheer you when you are doing well. They also give advice. Pick what works for you.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:45 pm

We're here! You go girl!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Welcome!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm

So glad you're here. I highly encourage you not to lay the pressure on yourself in the beginning to lose that last 40 lbs. Let that be the side effect. But do be calmly serious about eating what you know are reasonable plates/bowls of food on a consistent basis. Try to think less of being healthy than of being vital. In order not to let S days become a your only pressure release, do have some "unhealthy" foods in moderate portions on N days. I found this especially helped for times when I had a lot less choice over my foods, as for example when traveling. I don't freak out if my host doesn't have high fiber bread or a breakfast sandwich at Carl's Jr. is really my best option. Eat it, enjoy it, be done with it.

One woman on another thread went on and off No S for a few years, but came back with a vengeance last January, I think, and committed. She had had all her vagaries with S days done with, and it became easier to have them look much like N days but with a few extras. Don;'t be in too much of a hurry for that, but have faith. Try not to give up! Give yourself a year, and stick with us. Reach out personally, if you have to. You can have a great life and it doesn't have to revolve around calorie deficits, but if you find after a year you want to get concerned with calories, you'll have a much better foundation for kind discipline.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)