soleil's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

soleil couchant

soleil's daily check in

Post by soleil couchant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:29 pm

I have tried noS for the last few months and it works well for me when I take the "vanilla" approach. I didn't lose a lot of weight, but there were many other benefits to reigning in my eating habits. However, as soon as I added some modifications to try to speed up my weight loss, I fell out of the habit. I don't have all that much to lose (about 10 pounds), but I find that when I follow noS to the letter of the law, it has a very positive effect on my mood and I enjoy my meals so much more. So I am challenging myself to stick to plain ol' noS for 21 days on this thread to firmly reestablish the habit.

Shadowduck

Post by Shadowduck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Good luck, Soleil! Slow 'n' steady wins the race! :wink:

soleil couchant

Post by soleil couchant » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 am

Oct 15 Day 1 SUCCESS Oct 16 Day 2 SUCCESS
Oct 17 Day 3 SUCCESS
Oct 18 Day 4 SUCCESS
Oct 19 Day 5 SUCCESS
Oct 20 Day 6 S-day

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Soleil,

Sounds great - ideally I'd lose about the same amount of weight, so I will take your challenge up as well and go for 21 strict vanilla days.

Good to hear from you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021