SarahKay is Ready!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sarahkay

SarahKay is Ready!

Post by sarahkay » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Hey guys! It's been a long time! So much back and forth, posting on the forums, hiding from the forums, creeping and thinking about coming back, then running away again....

In the past few weeks, I have tried to really lose weight. I tried reducing my portions to reasonable amounts. I practiced eating meals and no snacks, and I generally waited until I was hungry for the next meal or when it was time to eat. I have lost a few pounds already! My clothes feel a bit better. My weight seems to hover at around a 2-3 pound loss, I feel a bit better, I reduced my appetite by reducing my food... as if my stomach shrunk a bit.... all these great things. And during all of this, I realized that I was basically following No S!! I wasn't giving myself any S days, because they seemed counterproductive, but I did allow a couple treats per week.

So I think that's my version of No S. It's pretty much vanilla, except I'm avoiding free-for-all S days and looking at them more like "treat" days. It seems to work for me. Somehow, this time I have clicked something in my mind. I realize how much time and energy is used on food and thinking about food. I'm wanting to find better ways to enjoy life. Eating is only one small joy. There are many more! I am putting energy into other areas and trying to not obsess about food constantly. Since what I am doing is No S based, I thought it would be great to come back to this forum for encouragement, inspiration, and hopefully to help others, too!

Anyway, I'm back. And I feel much more ready after the past few weeks. I started walking too! :)

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:33 am

Today didn't go so well.... my mom was preparing a lot of dishes and desserts for our party tomorrow. So I ended up tasting and munching on little things here and there. It wasn't a totally terrible day, but I could have stopped at one bite of the leftover cream cheese not 4 or 5.... you see the idea.

Tomorrow being Christmas Eve and the next day Christmas Day, I have two S days in a row. But after that it's time to behave again! I really want this to work. I think I'm headed to the tutorial page for inspiration....

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Christmas Eve! I'm so excited!

I am wanting to do well with this. I feel in my gut that eating according to hunger is the best way to go, but it is nearly impossible to do with so many triggers and social events where you want to eat with friends or at a party, etc.

Today and tomorrow are S days for me. I have parties both days! But after that I will continue my efforts! :)