Beccas daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cuppycakemomma

Beccas daily check in

Post by cuppycakemomma » Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm

I started the journey about a month ago. But some background first:
I am a 27 year old mom. 2 kiddos one of whom is currently breast-fed. I had him in January. Over the past 8 years or so my weight has crept steadily upward. I knew things were bad when my midwife told me I needed to really watch my weight during my last pregnancy. I was cleared medically to ease back into a normal life back in March.
Now some numbers.

Starting weight 188.5(mid-april 2013)
Current weight 177.5(4weeks on no S)

I'm am allowing myself a couple mods. The first is I can have up to three lactation cookies a day to help keep a good milk supply. The second is allowing myself to have slightly larger portions because I really do need the extra calories to keep producing milk my baby needs.

I have also started the couch to 5k program and am 3 weeks in.

And finally I neurotically weigh myself because seeing that number ultimately go down feels so good.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 16, 2013 7:32 pm

It sounds like you are doing well! Good luck!

You will find that the weight loss slows, but the good habits survive.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

cuppycakemomma

Post by cuppycakemomma » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you. I'm trying. This is the first time in years that I've been below 180 and it feels really good.
I know that these first 10 pounds were the easiest. I don't care if it takes years to be where I'm supposed to be but I like how easy this diet is. Its so simple. I don't have to count anything but plates.

I was going to do weight watchers but spending money to lose weight was really why I decided to try no s first. I really had nothing to lose except weight.

cuppycakemomma

Post by cuppycakemomma » Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm horrible at checking in. But I've been doing ok. Not great but ok. Husband was sick on Monday and gingerale is in my kitchen. And I've had a couple. I didn't go to the gym on Monday and I just feel off. But you can't be better if you don't try so I'm going to continue to try.