Andi's journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anca72

Andi's journey

Post by Anca72 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 am

Today is day two. First time I've ever tried this plan. And I've pretty much tried EVERY diet under the sun. I somehow stumbled on to this website and downloaded the book and read it completely in a day. Yesterday was a success and today is so far. Kinda glad I started on a Wednesday though.
I also started a blog about this experience. I figured by putting it out there, I'd be more accountable. This is the first time I've told NO ONE about my food plans. Not my sister, not my hubby... not my closest "diet buddies". Nothing I've done has worked long-term (and most not even short term) so I'm purposely NOT doing what I normally do. In case you want to follow along...
http://mynsdiet.blogspot.ca

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 am

Welcome & good luck! Im doing the same. Haven't told anyone and don't plan to for several months.

There's a great support system here. Look forward to hearing your updates!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, Linda.
Another successful day down. It's funny.. dinner was naturally low carb (steak, broccoli and a handful of strawberries) but because I chose those foods and was not eating them because I "had" to.. they tasted delicious and it was just what I wanted. Both breakfast and lunch had been higher in carbs (pasta at both) and I think my body just craved something different. I love looking forward to mealtimes and not feeling wracked with guilt. It isn't something I've experienced in a long time.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:40 am

Awesome!! I definitely am a believer that we
Need carbs. They're not evil but just another diet scam IMO. I go for balance of all the food groups but do whatever feels right for your body.

Only one more day till the weekend. Yay!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 am

Hi there Andi. What a brilliant week you are having. Stick with it. This is such a long term plan you just have to go with it I think and relax into the rhythm of 3 meals a day. Something my grandmother would consider to be obvious and completely normal. I understand your anxiety around cabs, there are so many foods we have been told to steer clear of. I feel like that about sugar. Just one teaspoon makes me feel I am going off the rails!! But how wonderful if we can eventually eat anything we like but in moderation and not under compulsion. I long for that, keep going the way you have. You will have support from all of us on the way.
Tessy

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks so much Tessy. I've always believed that plans of "moderation" didn't work (I've tried WW at least half a dozen times) but really that wasn't moderation. It was counting every last point and spending so much time and energy on what to eat. It's strange (and wonderful) that in only a couple of days my compulsion around food has already lessened. Part of me wonders "can it really be as simple as this"? but I'm just not going to stress about it... just follow the simple rules. I am a little nervous about the weekend since I've read through posts and most people trip up there. But I'm just going to listen to my body. Without really feeling deprived, perhaps I won't have the usual response of wanting to go eat every "bad" food in sight.

Anca72

First S weekend

Post by Anca72 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Yesterday was another SUCCESS. Now for the weekend. This morning I made an egg/pasta concoction and had coffee. Meant to go to the gym but got derailed. Had a couple pancakes with my kids a couple of hours later. Definitely already eaten more than I usually would. I need to stay conscious of what I'm doing!!!

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Yesterday was a success. Today marks the last day of my first week. I didn't love the S days as much as I thought I would. I like having more structure. I am going to try stick to the rules as a base and mix it up with one thing per day like a dessert after a meal. Not dessert after EVERY meal and as a snack. Just made me feel yucky. My appetite seems to be more today but I'll just stick to the rules and go about my life.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Well done on completing your first week Andi. You have made a brilliant start. I hope your dessert idea works for you. I cannot have dessert or I would eat it all and more. But I do try and always have fruit it just has to fit on my plate with everything else. I find I have to stick to vanilla noS, it is the rules and regularity I need. Good luck for next week.
Tessy

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

I meant only having dessert on S days... certainly not every day. I have one or two servings of fruit on N days and that is my "sweet". Also one cup of coffee in the morning with a teaspoon of sugar. But I certainly went overboard on the weekend. Had chocolate chip pancakes with breakfast and then had a mocha at Starbucks and then nibbled on dark chocolate in the afternoon. Had a DQ Blizzard on Sunday.... way too much sweet for one weekend. I need to figure out how to balance that part out. But it gives me a good starting point.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:25 pm

See what you mean. Sensible. Sugar great danger for me. Good luck taming the sugar beast. I think I shall try your dessert approach too. Chocolate chip pancakes sound very yummy to me. Clearly time to sign off and go to sleep :D
Tessy

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Yesterday was my first FAILURE. I was doing really well all day. Went to meet friends at a restaurant for dinner and avoided all appies but then.... my meal came with dessert (ice-cream made at the table with nitrogen... very cool) and I ate it because it was there. Wasn't even special. I know I wouldn't have ordered dessert but felt obligated because it came with it. Very lame excuse. Just because something is essentially free doesn't mean you have to eat it!!! So.. today I review the lesson learned and move on. I am going to be much more careful this weekend (more judicious with my S use) and hopefully that will negate any damage done by the small bowl of ice-cream.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Oh dear. What a shame. I know how you feel. But it was not a major WTF binge and you know what went wrong and why. I think you will be back on track tomorrow. With no damage done :)
Tessy

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 am

Tessy, thanks for the encouragement. Today has been better. Felt like snacking but avoided it. Had an iced-coffee and distracted myself. I know dinner will come soon enough.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 am

Hang on in there. The weekend is just round the corner :)
Tessy

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Andi,
Just saying hello. I was off the boards for a few days and missed your debut. Looks like you are doing well and are getting the encouragement you can expect and appreciate from all the lovely NoSers on this board. We are a great help to each other. I am glad you joined us. S days seem to be a nemesis for all of us at least for a while, myself included. But if you read some testimonials you will get the long view and stick to this. The bumps will iron out and there you will be, slim, trim, healthy and at peace with food. Brilliant!
Best of luck.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

jw

Post by jw » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Belated welcome, Andi -- I also missed your joining the board while I was on vacation, racking up a lot of moderately red days. Back on the wagon now, I am particularly happy to see you are doing a blog -- a lot of the ones on the sticky are no longer maintained. It's inspiring to see each other's progress! Best wishes!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome, JW and Kat.. it is so nice feeling supported here! This weekend was better than last (not perfect but certainly better). I didn't have the compulsion to go run out and eat EVERYTHING. Maybe a couple extra Oreos than I really needed but that was it. Last night I ate salad with a burger on top because that's really what I craved. No sweets or starches sounded good. For me.. that is big progress. I have to remember that this must be a personalized plan. Although I "can" eat wheat on it... the truth is.. it doesn't make me feel good... even if it is "legal". I need to find a happy balance where I can have it once in awhile but not every day and certainly not back to back meals. Living and learning though... and that's the key.
-Andi

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 am

Another successful day down. Super stressed because I've been packing all day. Tomorrow is the last day in this house (as we move Thursday morning).. which we've been in for the past 11 years. I certainly would have snacked all day if I weren't consciously following this plan.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:40 am

We just moved a couple of months ago. Boy is it stressful!! Hang in there & great job sticking to NoS!!

jw

Post by jw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:46 pm

good luck on your move, Andi -- lots of new beginnings for you! How exciting!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Anca72

September

Post by Anca72 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:24 am

So, It's been a crazy week or so with our move to a new house. Hasn't been perfect eating but could certainly have been worse. I was on plan all week and it really helps to stick to the 3 meals a day. Just makes things very simple. This month I'm trying a slight variation that I think will work better for me. Going to start my weekend at 6pm on Friday night and finish at 6pm (or earlier depending on when I start dinner... but dinner will be back to the rules) on Sunday. This allows me more leeway on Friday night when I want it the most and more structure by the end of Sunday (when I'm certainly ready for it). Will let you know how that goes.
I did get on a scale at the beginning of the month and for the first couple of weeks I've maintained my weight. Not so bad considering the move.. and that I missed over a week of normal workouts. Now I'd like to see it go down though....

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 am

Hi Andi

Wow, you are doing so well to manage a big move like that and stay on course. I would have been floundering I am sure. Have a good week and enjoy your new home.
Tessy

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Tessy! I'm taking it one day at a time.

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 pm

I feel guilty that I don't have time to read much of anything here.. my life is just crazy at the moment. I promise that when it slows down, I will. Anyway... I got on the scale today (I feel like I can live with 2-4 times a month) and was pleasantly surprised to see it down. This little plan may work!!!!