Eva's red day check ins

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

orangesanguine

Eva's red day check ins

Post by orangesanguine » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey everyone,

So after listening to this podcast, I decided I should describe my red days, so that I don't fall into the trap of the "what the hell" effect.

First of all, the reason I'm following the No S diet is first and foremost to lose weight. I'm not "overweight" per se, but I am over the weight I would like to be at, which 18 lbs lower. I want to look better, be healthier, move more efficiently and with less effort. For the record, I'm hovering around 140lbs right now and I'm 5'6''.

But if all I wanted was to lose weight, I know of faster (albeit less sustainable) ways to do that. No, I also want to regain a healthy relationship with food. I was actually born in France, but in spite of this it seems I didn't get the memo about not snacking in between meals and keeping feasts to special occasions. Instead, I've been struggling with binge eating for years now, and have developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. However, recently it's gotten better, thanks to a book I read about hunger-directed eating and another one called Brain over Binge.

Still, I found myself constantly having to wonder, "am I hungry?", or "am I bingeing?". All of this required too much of my brain.

This is where the No S Diet comes in. Indeed, with the No S Diet I don't have to ask questions. I eat 3 meals a day, and that's it. Most likely, by the time a meal rolls around I'll be hungry, which makes that meal all the more enjoyable. I even find myself adding raw fruits and veggies to my meals to make them more filling. I've been following this "diet" for about three weeks now, and I notice that I always enjoy food more on n days than on s days.

However, my small failures have tended to turn into monumental failures under the spell of the "what the hell" effect, which is why I will begin describing my failures today.

Jan. 16: a friend made a brownie for my boyfriend and I. I ate some because if I waited until the weekend there would be none left.

Jan.30: I can't remember the exact circumstances. I ate a blueberry, and that was enough to propel me into the "what the hell" effect apparently. I then ate way more than I should have throughout the day.

Jan.31: had to perform at a recital around lunch time. I didn't have time to finish my lunch because I decided to rehearse in the hall beforehand. So then I ate something else, but I don't remember what.

Feb.4: The lunch I ate was too small, and I found myself very hungry about two hours later. So I drunk some soymilk and ate an apple. I did not stray any more than that.

Here is a link to my habitcal, although I'm not sure it works.

Cheers!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Welcome! Very admireable goals!

I think for your brownie failure: well, apart from it not being that big of a deal in my books, it might be worth talking with your boyfriend about this and getting his support so there would be some brownie left :)

Also, if you haven't done so already, I'll never grow tired of recommending Reinhard's strictness podcast.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Bennedicta

Post by Bennedicta » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 pm

I have told the family I love baking for them, and baking day is Saturday!

I am on my first real week, and am looking forward to Saturday! Then I get some of the baking, and by the time Monday comes, even if there is some left, hopefully the novelty will have worn off and I will be good to go. :D

So Brownies for boyfriends at the weekend :D

orangesanguine

Post by orangesanguine » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Feb. 6: There was a reception I went to. I didn't have much time to eat dinner before going, and I ate a couple of the finger foods that were being passed around.

Feb. 7: I didn't have time to eat lunch, so I bought some soymilk as a snack, and then ate a scone at a café.

Feb. 11: Was an S day because I was sick

Feb. 14: Was NOT an S day because I broke up with my boyfriend. It stayed green!

Things I've noticed:

Like I said previously, on S days I actually enjoy food less. I kind of binge aimlessly throughout the day, and it doesn't feel particularly good. For example, on Saturday I baked some pumpkin bread, thinking maybe I could share it with a friend that evening. Except I didn't end up hanging out with that friend, and I ate the entire thing in one day. That did not feel good. So I think from now on if I bake something I'll make sure I actually have someone to share it with. This is also the reason why I don't buy ice cream anymore; the entire jar is usually finished an hour after I buy it, and then I feel sick. Same for raisins. These things are addictive, and it does not feel good to eat a lot of them in one sitting.

So from now on, treats will be had either outside of my apartment or shared with friends, and I will stop buying raisins and ice cream.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm

I have definitely stopped buying treats as often, and when I do, I tend to buy smaller portions. For example, on S Days, I might let each person in our family pick out one small container of their favorite ice cream flavor. That way we eat them up before Monday, and get to have something really special.

Similarly, on the weekends I might go buy a few high-quality chocolates at a chocolate store and really enjoy them. But they'll be gone before Monday. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 am

orangesanguine wrote:on S days I actually enjoy food less. I kind of binge aimlessly throughout the day, and it doesn't feel particularly good.
That's great news, it means you're on the right path, well done! Sorry to hear your boyfriend and you broke up but I think you should be very proud of yourself to keeping the day green!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021