I'm trying this check-in thing

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

aspencer27

I'm trying this check-in thing

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi, everyone! I'm going to check in for a 21 day challenge. A few years back, I used to very easily do intuitive eating / not snacking, etc. I never even thought about it. Then, somehow I got off track.

I re-started No-S this week, and it's been going well so far. 3 green days in a row! The nights are the hardest - I'll be bored, at home alone, and find myself just habitually going to the kitchen to grab a snack. But... I remind myself of No-S, and I've been able to remind myself that snacking on an N-day is just not an option. I'm hoping to make it through a 21 day challenge to re-learn good habits and get back on track.

My clothes are already fitting better - I am convinced that by not constantly grazing and eating crappy foods that I'm not as bloated and retaining water. I don't weigh myself because I don't really care about my weight - it's only a little higher than where I was a couple of clothing sizes ago, but my muscle ratio is lower.

aspencer27

21 Day Challenge Check-In

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Here it is, I'm being a little lenient on the NWS days, but it's my challenge, and I'll do what I want to! :D

7/14: SUCCESS
7/15: SUCCESS
7/16: SUCCESS
7/17: SUCCESS
7/18: S-DAY Husband's birthday
7/19: S-DAY
7/20: S-DAY
7/21: FAIL
7/22: SUCCESS
7/23: FAIL
7/24: FAIL
7/25: S-DAY Traveling for a friend's wedding
7/26: S-DAY
7/27: S-DAY
7/28: FAIL

I ended the challenge early, and started a new one below.

Ending on 2 S-days will hopefully make this a breeze, hee, hee!
Last edited by aspencer27 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 am

It looks like you're doing great! :D

aspencer27

Day 4

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks, Clarinetgirl! I'm just curious to see what the weekend will be like. I am going to try to let go, and not think about any rules that are food related.

For Day 4 - Another green! So excited. I again habitually went to the kitchen, but no snacks. Which is good because my husband keeps a lot of chips and candy and cookies around the house - ugh! I went to cook last night, but the fish smelled a little off, so I ordered in instead. So, I think I ate more than I should have but I didn't devour the whole dish like I normally would have.

aspencer27

S Days

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Good thing I took an S day on Friday! It wasn't too bad for dinner, but that definitely would have been a VERY large plate to fit all of the food!

Saturday and Sunday weren't too bad either. I didn't really snack on Saturday - we don't have much food in the house, so nothing to snack on. I did have a small snack on Sunday. I ate way too much for dinners on both nights, and I did have dessert on both Saturday and Sunday night. And it was after I was stuffed!

But, I had my rule of not worrying about the weekends during this first 21 day challenge, and not being able to fail, so the days were a success! Ok, ok, they were yellow :)

aspencer27

Fail!

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Ugh, last night was a fail. Mark it and move on - that's the advice I see on here. So, what went wrong? During the day was good - my two meals, and even though I was craving a snack in the afternoon, I held strong. I was going to dinner with friends, so I knew I would probably eat more than normal, and I didn't want to spoil my appetite. Dinner wasn't too bad, we split some apps and a couple of entrees. I was full, not stuffed, but sated. Then we got dessert - I didn't even think about No S, and I just dug in. I only had a couple of bites, but a couple of bites too many for No S!

Overall, if this is my failure, then, phew! I felt in control with my eating, which is my main goal on this diet. I just need to be more conscious of my N Days in a social setting, at least until the habit is down. I think if I had just reminded myself of the rule, it wouldn't have been an issue. Next time will be better!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Well done on keeping it to a couple of bites, and not blowing it out of proportion. After a while you'll get to the zone of automatically turning down sweets.

Keep up the good work!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 am

It sounds like you're doing great! Limiting yourself to just a couple of bites of dessert is a great first step!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks, Ironchef and Clarinetgal! I got back on track yesterday. In the afternoon, I almost convinced myself to have a snack, and I wasn't even hungry... But, I resisted and made it until I could get home and whip up some dinner. Hopefully now that I'm back on track, it will be easier to stay there. Plus, I'm almost half way through this 21 day challenge - it goes by quickly!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 am

Well done! Getting back on track is more important than never failing :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 am

Ugh, so week 2 was awful! Last Wednesday I went and got chips and hummus as a snack between lunch and dinner. On the way to the pantry, I kept telling myself that I was intentionally failing for the day. But, that was the only fail for the day. Back on track for dinner. But, then on Thursday, I was starving the whole morning! I had breakfast - a bagel with cream cheese, not very healthy, and I was still hungry, so I ordered lunch about an hour later. For lunch, I had 2 servings of my meal. I am counting that as seconds, so I failed on Thursday as well. However, on Thursday night, I did have a success, I didn't eat dessert when my husband ordered it. I wasn't hungry (I had eaten a lot for dinner, too).

Then, for my 3 S days in a row, I went crazy!!!! I ate a ton, binged, had desserts, everything! And today, I had a work event, and I ate a bunch of snacks and then had dinner after I wasn't even hungry.

So, all of that being said... The past is done, and I can't go back and change it. I am starting a new 21 day challenge. And I am sick of being sluggish and feeling awful after the binges and crappy food, so that is going to get me through these next 21 days. Also, I have a beach trip coming up, so that should be good motivation too.

aspencer27

New check-in

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 am

7/29: SUCCESS
7/30: SUCCESS
7/31: SUCCESS
8/1: SUCCESS
8/2: S DAY
8/3: S DAY
8/4: SUCCESS
8/5: S Event - 1 cupcake
8/6: SUCCESS
8/7: SUCCESS
8/8: FAIL
Day 1 - 8/9: S DAY
Day 2 - 8/10: S DAY
Day 3 - 8/11: SUCCESS
Day 4 - 8/12: SUCCESS
Day 5 - 8/13: SUCCESS
Day 6 - 8/14: SUCCESS
8/15: FAIL
8/16: S DAY
8/17: S DAY
8/18: FAIL
8/19: SUCCESS
8/20: SUCCESS
8/21: SUCCESS
8/22:
8/23: S DAY
8/24: S DAY
8/25:
8/26:
8/27:
8/28:
8/29:
Last edited by aspencer27 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 17 times in total.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 am

Hiya,
My tip would be to make sure you have food you really really want planned out for all three meals and enough of it as well - for me, I only stick to NoS if I have psychologically and physically satisfying meals. And hot drinks in between at the beginning.
Good luck!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks, Eschano - agreed that planning is such a help in this process! It definitely helped make yesterday a success. Today, however, I have been in meetings all morning, with no time for a real breakfast, so I am using all of my willpower to not grab a snack before lunch. Ugh! Oh well, only one more hour to go, I can make it! The threat of having to report a Fail on my second day on this new challenge will just have to be enough to keep me committed.

Great idea on the hot drinks - they do feel more satisfying then just water, I think I'll go and grab a tea or coffee now to help me last through lunch.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

It was a hard-earned success, but a success none the less! I felt hungry for most of the day, but I was able to hold off until lunch and in the afternoon when I just naturally graze. I didn't get home until late, so grazing at home wasn't an option - that makes it easier. Hopefully today will be easier now that my body is readjusting from the crap food I ate last week. I definitely felt a lot more sluggish, which I hope will help me want to make better food choices.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Alright, another success! I've been good 3 days in a row, and today I get one cupcake at work, yay! Friday nights can be pretty difficult for me - a long week at work, then go out and relax with the hubby at dinner. We always split an appetizer, share a couple of entrees and he ALWAYS orders dessert. I usually don't think about it and have a bite of the dessert. Tonight, my focus is to have just a little bit of the appetizer, eat my dinner only until I'm sated (not full, but satisfied), and to skip the dessert.

For the weekend, I'm not going to worry at all. A snack if I want, a dessert if I want - I can't fail. I think getting back to it on Monday will be the real test!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Alright, 6 days under my belt for this round! I am headed to the beach this weekend, so I think that will be motivation for me to be green this week, too. This weekend was pretty good for my S Days, nothing out of control. On Friday, I met up with a friend for drinks and dinner. I had some of the appetizers, and I couldn't finish my dinner - I had a pretty big virtual plate... but I think it's a success (no seconds). And, the biggest part - I skipped the dessert! Even when my friend mentioned how delish it was and that I needed to try it, I just said no thanks, too full. That was that! On Saturday, I didn't snack all day, and I had dessert with dinner. On Sunday, I had a few bites of dried fruit for a snack, and dessert with dinner. I ate more dessert both nights than I was planning, but they were S Days, so they were a success!

Since the weekend was pretty tame, today should be easy to get back into. Oh, I forgot to mention... Apparently our work cupcakes are on the first Tuesday of the month, so Friday's cupcake event was moved to Tuesday. :D

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:55 pm

One week in, and all green! Only two more weeks to go for the challenge. I didn't get home until late last night, so there was no temptation. Also, in the afternoon (when I just typically out of habit get a snack), I didn't even think about it. Just skip the snack!

Today I get a cupcake for August b-days in my office - an S event. If I break the rules of anything else, today could be a failure, but if I stick with just my S event, then it will be an S-Day. I'm meeting a friend out for dinner, so I'm planning on keeping my portion size small for today to be considered a success. I can do it!!!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:42 am

Well done! I'm delighted it's going well for you.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Great job! :D

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks, clarinetgal and eschano! Yesterday was a successful S Event. A delicious cupcake, that I thoroughly enjoyed. And for dinner last night, I convinced my friend to not get the dessert. We split a few appetizers, but overall I didn't overeat, so it was great.

On Friday I'll be traveling to meet some friends - I'm planning on not giving in to dessert!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 am

Nice work aspencer!

It's amazing how sweets "pushing" can be deflected by a simple "oof, I'm so full already". In our heads, refusing dessert can seem really tough, but often the reality is a lot easier that we fear.

Also, isn't it cool how enjoyable a planned treat (like that cupcake) can be? Pre-No S I don't think I ever truly enjoyed a treat, because I always felt in the back of my mind that I didn't deserve it / shouldn't be eating it. Last Saturday I had a mini key lime tartlet and was thinking "how awesome that this is on my plan!"

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks, ironchef - so true about the sweets! I have an event tonight, which sometimes I'll just graze on food, other times I'll be so wrapped up in the event I barely eat. Hopefully tonight if I start towards grazing I will be mindful of the eating and only get one plate - that can be tough, though, since they usually only have the small appetizer plates...

As for yesterday, I almost had "seconds" by eating the bread that came with my meal (that was not on the probably too large plate I had just finished), and I just told myself that I am in charge and could decide if I wanted a FAIL even though I wasn't still hungry. And I skipped it, and made yesterday a success.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:05 am

Good for you for listening to your body, and stopping when you were full! :D

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Ugh, fail on Friday... It is marked and I'm moving on. I snacked on some peanuts late night while we were just hanging out. This weekend also felt a bit out of control, but no failures on S Days for me! Hopefully I got it out of my system and get back on track today!

Only one more week for this 21 day challenge - I can't believe how fast it goes.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:03 am

That is a great attitude, just mark it and move on. :D Yes, that is the nice thing about S Days.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Yay! Another green! It wasn't too hard yesterday. I did crave some snacks, especially when the guy that sits next to me at work grabs something every afternoon, but I resisted then I had meetings to keep me distracted the rest of the afternoon. Also, I had my late night class, so I just made a small dinner when I got home and didn't have time to snack.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:25 pm

4 days of success in a row! Woo hoo! Yesterday wasn't bad, and I even avoided dessert at my friend's house.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 pm

You're doing awesome!!!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks, Linda. Almost a full week of full compliance! And, I'm already starting to feel so much better with food. It's so nice to not be out of control when I eat! I have also seen how I used to just graze unintentionally. I'd have a smaller dinner and then justify having a snack or two even if I wasn't hungry. While I do think my meals are probably larger than they need to be, that has helped me regain my focus on eating.

I saw someone else posting about how they want to savor their food more - that is my next goal, too. I think sometimes out of habit I just eat quickly and don't even notice, especially lunch in the office. The one thing I'm still thinking about is the how. Maybe I'll re-read that section in my Intuitive Eating book to see what their recommendations are.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Up to 6 days in a row, yay! I have my in-laws coming to town tonight, so dinner is going to be tough, we always get dessert. I know I can just skip it, though, I've done it many other times. Then S Days, and I'll be on my last single digit day for this streak. Must make it through today!!!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi there, thanks for dropping by my thread, I really hope your day goes well today. I'm rooting for you :-)

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Ack! And the streak is broken. Oh well, today is a new day. I actually did pretty well on Friday. My one virtual plate at dinner... was probably a pretty big virtual plate, though... But, when we got home from dinner, my mother-in-law had brought her award winning chocolate cake, and I had a small piece. Totally a fail-worthy event, so no big deal.

This weekend, on the other hand, I ate way too much, and I just wasn't satisfied. I want to get to the point where I eat until I'm sated - no more, no less, but right now I'm eating too much. I'm toying with some ideas on curbing it, but I think I'm going to wait until September to track. I am going to try and implement some on my vacation, but I'm not going to stress over it.

I got the worst "compliment" this weekend... I was clothes shopping, and I wanted to try on some jeans. A lady came over and asked my size, when I told her she says, "that size is sooooo big! You don't look that big, I thought you were my size." Ugh, what am I even supposed to say to that? Gee, thanks, I don't look as fat as I am? Oh well, the good thing about that was that the jeans were too big, so I guess she was partially right, ha!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Another fail, but I felt pretty ill last night. I don't think I ate enough for lunch. I had seconds for dinner. Not a bad fail, but I know I didn't have to have the seconds. And I had a pretty unhealthy meal all around.

Today is a new day, and it will be even better!

aspencer27

S Days gone wild!

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Ironchef recommended the S Days gone wild podcast for help with my S Days. It is so helpful.

I think the biggest hurdle for me to overcome is actually enjoying my S treats. I have definitely had times where this is the case, and it makes the S Days so much more enjoyable. I've also had times where I try and eat so fast before the guilt sinks in, and those are no fun.

As Reinhard recommends, I'm going to keep my S Days free, but really try to think through my treats (snacks or sweets - I rarely have seconds) to ensure I'll enjoy them, and focus on not furtively eating. It's a treat, I deserve it. Just knowing that it isn't (shouldn't be, anyways) a free-for-all makes me less stressed.

I have a vacation coming up in a bit, and I am toying with the idea of making the whole vacation S Days. I usually eat better on vacation anyways just because I am busy doing and seeing things, and there just isn't food constantly around. (Boredom eating and the habit of grazing because the food is there are my two biggest challenges with No S) Hm, maybe this will help kick my S Days into gear, where I truly enjoy them and I'm not just wildly out of control. I'll have to think on this one, though...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 pm

I'm glad the podcast was helpful - I really like listening to / reading Reinhard's words.

I got some great tips from posters here for vacation eating a few years ago.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:08 am

Keep at the 21 Day Challenge. When I saw your post and you were taking it up, it reminded me that the two times I have completed the challenge, I averaged a 10 weight loss both times.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Back on track, phew! I kept wanting to self sabotage yesterday, but I didn't. I don't know why yesterday was so hard. Oh well, today is a new day, and I just have to keep at it.

Over43 - that is awesome with the weight loss! You're such an inspiration.

Ironchef - I'm definitely going to read the vacation eating post - thanks for all of the great tips!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:14 am

Yay--good job pushing through!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks! Yesterday was an easy success. Those are so nice to have! When I got home from my workout - which was crazy hard and I felt exhausted - I was just going to order something unhealthy just for comfort food. I realized that I was just doing that out of habit, and I didn't even want it. So, instead, I thought about what really sounded good to me, and I got that instead. I focused on really enjoying my dinner. It was so much better than just mindlessly eating!

For vacation, my plan is to keep my N Days, but not track while I'm out. If something seems fail worthy, then I will happily fail, but I'm going to set the bar high. And I'm going to focus on really enjoying the treats and really enjoying the meals, too.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm at it again, another green day! Last night I wasn't very hungry, so I just got a sandwich. Then, the rest of the night I tried to convince myself I should have some chips. I kept telling myself that they would fit on a plate, go into the kitchen, not really want any of what we had, convince myself that it would count as a fail since it would technically be seconds, and then repeat the whole cycle again. What a rollercoaster! I'm glad I didn't give in, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

Today is another N Day. Fridays are sometimes hard because my husband almost always gets dessert when we go out, but I've been pretty successful so far. I can do it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm

You are getting there! After dinner snacking is a hard one to give up.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.