Toblincmom's No-S Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Mark and move on :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 pm

I was kind of MIA last week. After a few red days in a row and getting on the darn scale (not a good idea), I tried to jump ship again! Diet head. It doesn't work, of course. So I'm chugging along my path. No restart. I never actually quit. I was just modifying things too much. It just doesn't work for me. So I'm back to my three meals, nothing else! Three delicious amazing plates!

And I'm staying off the scale til the end of March. It just really messes with me mentally. It is actually an obsession of sorts. Gotta break that. I am soooooooooo much more than that darn number!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:41 am

I did notice that obsessive scale-stepping inevitably results in diet-head rearing its ugly head. I think some of us are better off weighing less often, weekly or monthly. Keep on keeping on! We all know that NoS is the only sustainable weight management system ever.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 am

I hear you about the scale! I have a real love/hate relationship with it. I think it's smart to not weigh yourself for a few weeks.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Crazy weekend of wild S days! Yikes... I have decided to try a month or two completely gluten free to see if I get any joint pain relief. The pain has been VERY bad the past 9 months or so. Everything I read says gluten can really trigger RA flare-UPS. So even though I think gluten is in EVERYTHING, I am going to give it a go. Still 3 plates and regular No-S... but gluten-free. It feels like a mountain for me. But I know there's a lot of gluten free stuff now. My main concern is eating out!!! One day at a time.....
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 pm

I had a red day yesterday. BUT I'm giving myself some grace because yesterday was my first day gluten-free. When you don't eat gluten... and are new at it and don't have all the specialized products.... you eat a lot of fruit and veggies on your plate. That was a good thing.... but I got super hungry only a couple hours after eating lunch and ended up having a banana with peanut butter. Not feeling too bad about that. I will add that peanut butter and banana to my lunch plate possibly! This is a learning experience for me.
Haven't been very good on the exercise front. I'd really like to start swimming... but haven't made the time. Hubby is getting ready to go on a huge month-long business trip so that is making things crazy around here! I will be traveling this month visiting family. I am so glad to be on No-S during this time!
Just gotta get through with ONLY 3 plates today, though.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

a new day

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Here I am AGAIN. It's been another couple weeks since I've checked in. I am living and learning and failing and moving on. I will not give up. I keep coming back here. Over and over and over. The reason I leave? ONLY one thing.... the darn scale. I've gotta get over this diet head somehow. I know 100 percent that No-S is the answer to that. BUT then I go and get in my head and freak out and try something else and within days I know it isn't going to work. Vicious cycle!!

So today.... the day BEFORE my 38th birthday......I am going to eat three meals. No other rules. No scale. I've also been striving for 10,000 steps a day. No crazy exercise. Just urban ranger! Back to the basics. Go!
No-S restart 01/08/23

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 am

You can do it! Are you still doing gluten free? I'm doing the low FODMAPS diet right now, and part of that diet involves being gluten free. Yes, the No S diet really does make the most sense.

tobiasmom

21 days

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:15 pm

March 2015
SW: 205.3

Back in the saddle....
Last edited by tobiasmom on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-S restart 01/08/23

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:07 am

First green day in ages!!! Yay! 😛
No-S restart 01/08/23

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:51 am

Good for you!!! :)
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 am

Good job!