TGIF! Let's Get This Party Started!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

beelizardbreath

TGIF! Let's Get This Party Started!

Post by beelizardbreath » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:37 pm

It's time!

After finding many excuses as to why I cannot stick to NoS, I decided maybe I should actually try it before throwing in the towel, haha.

I'm 42 and have 3 kids; my DD is 18 and getting ready to head to college in the Fall, DS1 is 2.5 and DS2 is 7 months. Yes, my DH and I were THAT close to freedom when we decided we we're quite ready to be empty nesters.

My pregnancy with DS1 brought gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, both carried into my next pregnancy and the HBP seems to want to linger.

All of this leads to the extra 15-20 lbs I'm carrying right now. My goal really isn't weight loss, but to get off of the BP meds...not to mention I'd like to be a hot mama, lol. :wink:

I'm using a FitBit Charge, which I love, as well as HabitCal.

Speaking of HabitCal, I know the recommendation is to start Vanilla NoS for the first 21 days, at least, but I have mine set up to success/fail for each meal. I really need to see the small steps and right now, a full day seems to be too much.

However, this might be another BS excuse and I'm open to any and all recommendations!

Happy Friday and I look forward to meeting everyone here!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Welcome! I am on Day 21 of my first 21 day challenge. I jumped right in to vanilla No S. Do what's right for you, but I encourage you to give vanilla No S a try. We are all here to cheer you on!

beelizardbreath

Post by beelizardbreath » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 am

Thank you for the welcome and advice!

I'm not sure if today is a success or not; I had 1/4 of a granola bar between breakfast and lunch.

Let me rephrase that- I know it's a total fail, but am not sure how to rectify it. Right now, DS1 wakes to eat around 3:30am and DS2 starts his day at 5:00am. It ends up being a very long time between meals and if I was to eat lunch when hungry, I'd be eating at 10:00am and never make it to dinner.

The only solution I have is to allow a small snack between the two morning meals and slowly phase it out.

Congrats for 21 days! That's very inspiring! :D