Milly daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

milliem

Milly daily check in

Post by milliem » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello NoS folks!

I have been an on off member for a while so just a bit of background - I've been mostly off for the past year it has to be said! Briefly my weight loss journey started with me at ~180 pounds, I used NoS from around 2013 to start me off and lost around 5 pounds (definitely chalked up a success at not gaining any!) I found it very hard to lose substantial weight just using NoS though, S days never really sorted themselves out. So, I switched to calorie counting and got down to a low of around 149 pounds in September 2014. A combination of loose eating, planning a wedding, getting married and a big old honeymoon has me back up at around 164 pounds now :shock: Largely since 2014 I have been maintained between 155 and 158 though.

I find calorie counting helpful at times but exhausting and not a long term solution. I've always kept NoS at the back of my mind and see it as a long term habit that hopefully will help me lose initially and then maintain without unnecessary mental effort.

To start with I need a bit of accountability and practice at getting back into the swing of things. I'm officially starting tomorrow and plan to use this diary to check in whether my day has been GREEN, RED or an S DAY. I may or may not log what I eat but will log failures and S days/events in more detail to hopefully stay honest :) No mods at the moment, although breakfast tends to consist of a green smoothie, I may need to bulk my breakfasts up a bit to avoid the temptation to snack!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:35 am

Welcome back.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 am

Wb! I didn't lose weight at first w NoS either. I can't do calorie counting though. Makes me crazy but I did lighten my plates up a lot over time & added a little exercise. I've lost almost 40 lbs so it can be done!

GL!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:51 am

gingerpie wrote:Welcome back.
Thank you!
lpearlmom wrote:Wb! I didn't lose weight at first w NoS either. I can't do calorie counting though. Makes me crazy but I did lighten my plates up a lot over time & added a little exercise. I've lost almost 40 lbs so it can be done!

GL!

Linda Smile
Nice work Linda, well done!! I did lose a little but unrestricted my default was still way too many sweets and snacks on S days to actually lose much, and I gave it a fair whack. I don't mind calorie counting, I found that after a while it becomes easier to mentally figure out a ballpark calorie figure which can be helpful. I tend to drift off calorie counting after a while though so am hoping that reintroducing NoS habits will keep me focused even when I'm not counting. Luckily I don't have too much of an obsessive mindset - which is also why I weigh daily at the moment. I'm looking for the trend rather than panicking about a daily number.

I picked a tricky day to start NoS I think, I'm working from home which means temptations abound as well as less work distractions to keep my mind off food than when I'm in the office. I calorie tracked my intended food and ended up at <1000 calories which isn't great, I know I'll be starving and tempted to snack so I'm going to re-evaluate a little.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:09 pm

11th November: SUCCESS

I'm a little hungry now (it's 8pm) but it's manageable, I might have a cup of tea before bed.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:09 pm

I went to bed feeling hungry on Sunday night - I didn't die - and I did sleep - but most of all, I felt SO pleased with myself in the morning!
:lol:
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Thursday 12th November: GREEN

Not too bad today, three reasonable plates, some hunger after dinner but nothing I can't manage. I even resisted the suggestions by my husband to get chinese takeaway for tea as a treat - technically it would have been fine if I stuck to one plate, but we went with our planned dinner instead (smothered pork with mash and vegetables)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 am

Hi, Milliem! Welcome back to No S! I counted calories the first 5 months this year and it drove me crazy. :lol:

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Friday 13th November: SUCCESS

I've been hungry ALL DAY ugh. I managed to grit my teeth and get through it but it wasn't pleasant! I think I need to make sure I have a decent lunch, as the gap between lunch and dinner was definitely the most painful part...

MaggieMae yeah calorie counting can be a pain, I'm not too wedded to it but find it helpful every now and then to check in with my food choices :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:03 am

Saturday 14th November: S day

Hoo boy. It started well, I wasn't hungry for breakfast and had a sensible lunch and a couple of digestive biscuits in the afternoon. Then I went out for dinner with friends and had a burger and fries and a couple of beers... then dessert... then snacked on cake all evening. Oops! Well it was an S day (and my first one since the restart) so it's not surprising really. Hopefully I was just getting it all out of my system :)

Onwards!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Just dust yourself off and back at it today 8) No worries right?