Nonskanse's Daily Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Friday... not so good. Saturday was exactly like an S day, unintentionally, so maybe that fixes it a little.

Sunday I was a bit unreasonable.

But Saturday a bunch of us went hiking for about 4 hours, and that is good.
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm

This past week was most interesting. I passed on Wednesday and maybe Friday.

Other days I failed :/ Not horribly on all of them.

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Bad news - I have high cholesterol. :(

So now I can't eat some of the things I like.

I'm going to switch to non-trans fat margarine (I love butter but don't use much), cut out the egg yolks, avoid cheddar like the plague, restrict to chicken and fish, and eat more avocados and beans (good for dipping I guess). And I'm going to have to go to the gym and do cardio (previously mentioned nasty air quality and noise of the street outside my apartment complex).

The worst bit is it is mostly genetic.

I'm quite sure No-S would work with this just fine, **_IF_** I had the self control to do both at once. I don't think I do. One stressful week at work (last week) and I nearly ate all day straight. (I did better than I thought I would though).

Since my BMI isn't out of whack, (I am aiming for 23 or so, I'm at like 24.2 and a bit)... I may have to put no-S on hold for the greater good.

:(

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:30 am

So I bought some omega 3 fish oil pills and have resolved to go to the gym every day that doesn't begin with an S

The new No-S...

I did ok for no-s today, but being a little depressed about high numbers influenced me a bit.

I'm going to drop the cholesterol 60 points and by then I'll be in the habit of good foods for cholesterol that I can probably commit 100% to no-S as well.

My goal for now. I'll keep posting success and failure.

Today: Success except I couldn't eat breakfast before the glucose and other tests, and I had an extra apple.

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:59 pm

4-5 wasabi soy nuts here and there, but overall pretty good the last couple days.

Dinner with a friend tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Chol watching - bought some oatmeal, haven't had turkey bacon, beef, or butter. Been eating my fish pills, chose the salmon over stuffed shells one day....

Could be worse!

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:01 pm

It can always be worse! <wink>
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:11 pm

I suppose it can always be worse...

Friday was pretty naughty - 4 meals more or less... there was a party...
Thursday had an extra tangelo and a little handful of soy nuts at dinnertime.

Night time is my weakest time.

Time for some oatmeal, methinks. Boring boring boring. I think fatty foods and i must've been having some secret affar. Maybe they have even less fatty turkey bacon somewhere....

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Turkey bacon is NOT bacon! :lol: :lol: :lol:
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:23 pm

True Dat.

Today it was someone's 8th anniversary at the company, and per tradition, he brought in 8 pounds of m&ms.

I had far less than I wanted, infinitely more than I should have (should have had 0). Bad scores on no-S and being good about cholesterol.

Have had lightly sweetened (sucralose) oatmeal, 1/2 cup cooked for the past week. Kind of boring but not too bad...

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Not doing too badly lately.

90% success. That is, I don't tend to snack more than 3 days a week and i snack once each day that I snack. I also am trying to stick to fruit not chips for the snakcs.

But these are N days I'm hitting. Oatmeal is getting old fast, but that is not a good reason to be stuffing my face.

Saturday and Sunday were only a little bit worse than a standard N-day, so maybe I'm approaching my balance. The cholesterol thing - we shall see.

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:47 am

Too much seafood over the weekend.

But all F/S/Sn were no-s days, mostly because the meals were big and we were touring my grandparents around town.

Weekdays not so lucky. Keepin trying.

Haven't gained anything, still at "1 pound down" from my most recent serious attempts.

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:46 am

Not bad this week not great. Some days total failure....

*sigh*

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:11 am

Keep on trying!
I got a fortune cookie once that said, "Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing perfectly"

You are trying... This was a bad week but you can start over again next Monday!
Have a nice weekend Jenn!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

nonskanse

hooray

Post by nonskanse » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:12 am

Today might just be a success.

Tuesday I missed lunch due to scheduling (my own fault) and had beer and cookies after dinner... not together though :) Almost counts!

I think even w/o working out the past couple weeks and having mostly IFFY days I'm down another pound.

If it's still down 2 more days of the next 4, I'm counting it as GONE!

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:41 pm

Debs right - just keep trying. better to try and fail than not try at all. And we are our most harsh critics. Being human and having a hard time at this new lifestyle is beyond hard. Sometimes it is downright impossible. But I will bet you are noticing more when you are pushing it, you are being more conscientious about little things like parking farther away in the parking lot, you choose fish over stuffed shells :), and so manylittle things every day. I will bet you didnt do that 2 years ago. Its like that 3 steps forward, 2 steps back thing... You are still moving forward, its just slowly and sometimes we back pedal. But its still forward motion and forward momentum gathers speed over time if we insist on continuing forward instead of just sitting down & giving up. AND YOU HAVENT!! You are still doing great if you ask me. Better than I feel most days about my progress.
Anyway - heres to another chance every day to "do over" if we mess up.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:47 am

Where'd ya go? I miss ya!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

nonskanse

on the horse?

Post by nonskanse » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:45 am

Not so hot whilst Vista was shipping, I must admit.
I'll try again but holidays are up.

Power went out in Seattle for a few days, that was interesting and pretty much all N-days since we had to eat at places with power.

nonskanse

Blah!!!

Post by nonskanse » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:27 am

Ok So I read "Mindless Eating"...

Since I wasn't really losing weight even trying the S and no-S days, I would get tempted and indulge, just like the other diets. It kept starting as "just one of this " or that.

And then got worse.

At first it was carrots, then it was chips again.

I am not strict enough with myself!!

So... tomorrow I am going to start trying really hard. AGAIN.

Keep on truckin.