Pinkhippies daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pinkhippie

Re: Pinkhippies daily check in

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks Jen! I am sooo happy about being able to finally get my walks in. I love walking. I am learning to love biking but walking/running are what I really love.

Today, as I came out to the kitchen in my biking clothes, my husband told me he wanted me to know that although I am sexy and attractive now, that I was sexy and attractive before I lost weight and started exercising and getting healthier and that he loves how I look either way.😊 I do feel very grateful to have a husband like that, especially for me who has battled disordered eating for so many years. My first forays into the serious relationship world were not so lucky and I tended to date men who were critical of my body and subtly would suggest I work out or not eat that or ogle super skinny women in front of me.

June 20, 2020

B: oatmeal coffee with half and half

D: 1 burger with fries(ate about half) and a Mcflurry. (ate 3/4)
I was beyond hungry because we rode through lunch. I had brought trail mix because we left a little before lunch, but I was never hungry during the ride. I was surprised by how much I was able/had to eat before I felt satisfied. But I did eat to satisfaction.

Exercise:
A bike ride with my husband is planned. We will see, we are supposed to get rain, like LOTS Of rain.

Edit to add: we did go for a 17-mile bike ride(it took about 2 hours) ! It rained lightly almost the entire time but it felt good and kept us cool. I worked hard! I am much stronger than I was 2 weeks ago and I was able to do so much more. We have a lot of hills around here. 🙂
Last edited by pinkhippie on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Yay for supportive husbands!
Have fun on the bike ride!! It's rainy here, too.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:27 pm

Your bike ride sounds wonderful. I hated running for a long time but am starting to enjoy it in small doses. I think the key for me is to not overdo it and work up slowly to longer distances.

Your hubby sounds amazing! I love that he said that to you. As much as most of us love hearing how good we look after losing weight, there’s always that nagging feeling of “so did you not like how i looked before”? That adds a lot of pressure to trying to maintain a certain weight too that we don’t need. My husband tends to not mention my appearance much at all. Which is annoying but ive come to accept. Thank goodness for other women in my life that are free with the compliments!

Happy Sunday! 💕
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Auto thanks! It was a great ride!

Linda, thank you! I have always been really appreciative of my husband and how supportive he is of all body types. You are right, it really helps with the pressure. Honestly, many times I have regained my weight after someone else comments on my weight loss. Like my dad, or an inlaw or something. Maybe by the time I actually see anyone, I will be solidly enough in my habits that if they comment it will not matter. I am glad you have women in your life who can notice and appreciate your appearance!

Yesterday's bike ride was great! I couldn't believe how far and how fast and how I was able to just keep pedaling I was able to do. I woke up in the night because my legs hurt so bad but when I woke up this morning I felt fine.

June 21, 2020

B: chopped apple and peanut butter oatmeal, coffee with half and half
Ate breakfast pretty late today, wasn't hungry at all for a while

L chickpea curry over roasted broccoli
I can't even explain how amazing this was. I didn't feel like making rice and I was in the mood for broccoli. So delicious

S handful of trail mix
Although lunch was delicious, I guess it wasn't quite enough because I was hungry two hours later

D: Vegetarian lentil tortilla soup with sour cream and cheese and crushed corn chips
Man this was amazing! We had dinner late and I was hungry. I am trying to expand my repertoire of vegetarian meals that are tasty.

Dessert half a scoop of vanilla ice cream
I haven' had straight-up ice cream in over a month, if not longer. I couldn't believe how rich it was. I think I like frozen yogurt and soft-serve better most of the time. felt full and satisfied after dinner and dessert

Exercise:

20 min laid back walk

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Pink: Your husband sounds amazing!! Mine is pretty great that way too, makes me feel loved no matter how I’m feeling about myself :D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Jen thank you! That is awesome that your husband is that way too. I think we all deserve a significant other that makes us feel good about ourselves. :)

I am really tired and a little on the extra hungry side today. Not sure if its hormonal or all the exercise or what.

June 22 2020

B: peanut butter toast
One piece wasn't enough. Hungry hungry

L: 1 big bowl of lentil tortilla soup with chips, plain yogurt, and cheese
I had to eat a lot to feel satisfied. I am just having an extra hungry day today I guess. It could be related to the lower weight as well too. edit
After waking up from a mid-afternoon nap, and feeling much better, I think it was being tired. I lost a lot of sleep over the weekend

D: 8 chick fil a nuggets, honey mustard a few waffle fries, small bowl of cheerios with whole milk
In- laws dropped off chick fil a for us. Which was such a great thing! I was CRAVING meat and fat.Ate to satisfaction

I wsa craving protein, meat and fat today. I could feel it like a physical thing. So crazy! But in looking over my menu the past few days, it has been pretty low fat and vegetarian minus the day I got a burger and fries and had a few nuggets on Friday. I need fat to feel good in my diet. Low fat diets make me insanely hungry and shaky and hangry. So, the 90's were full of those moments since that was the prevailing diet wisdom of the time. I am so glad I finally figured it out and fat was devillianized.

20-minute vigorous walk. Now regularly hitting 6k steps every day, sometimes 7 or 8k.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Today was my grocery trip. It's getting better? More used to the new normal? Either way its a little less stressful but there is a huge spike in cases in my town and in my neighborhood so I can't relax my vigilance. I go first thing in the morning to get it over with. Before coffee or anything just out of bed and hopefully there by 8 to 815 am.

Things I am working on regarding No S. Serving myself bigger portions. Often times I serve myself small portions and sometimes it works out, but sometimes I get hungry and either have seconds, or don't and then am hungry for the rest of the night, or the afternoon or whatever and have to snack. Today, my goal is larger portions and if I don't want to eat them all, it's ok to save it for later or even throw it away.
June 23, 2020

B: 2 pieces of toast with butter and a dot of honey, 2 over medium eggs coffee with half and half
I was still pretty hungry this morning. I ate and felt like I could eat more, but I decided to wait for 30 minutes and if I was still hungry I would eat.
10 minutes later I felt fine.

L: 1 big bowl of lentil tortilla soup with sour cream and cheese, handful of cherries
Was hungry, ate to satisfaction, which left about 1/4 of it, but then was hungry about 2 hours later and had the rest of it then

D: parmesan chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and egg noodles
This was really good and I served myself a full plate of food. More noodles and broccoli than I thought I would eat. I ate almost the whole thing. I was satisfied and a little full

Exercise:
30 minutes stationary bike high resistance

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Had a virtual interview for a web development internship this morning. Big desire to eat! I know I am not hungry, its just nerve-wracking. Don't see anyone but your family for 3 months and then do an interview. I think it went well. I had a few moments where I felt I said something stupid, but I think that is the nature of interviews. I also had a few moments where they seemed to like what I said. I am glad that is over with! Now I feel so anxious and restless. argh!

June 24 2020

B: a bowl of bran cereal with cherries, banana, milk, and almonds. Coffee with half and half
Had to eat earlier than normal because of my interview wasn't very hungry

L: 1/4 banana while I heated up my lunch as I realized hunger snuck up on me. I will call it virtual plating. Parmesan chicken breast, noodles and broccoli
Early lunch. I forgot I ate breakfast about an hour early so I suddenly realized I was lightheaded and shaky with hunger. I could have waited but I am trying to take care of myself and not let myself get to that level of hunger. I may need a snack since I had such an early lunch. We will see.

D: 1 bean burrito, some corn with butter, greek yogurt with banana
Didn't end up snacking, but my planned snack if I needed it was yogurt with banana so I put it on my plate for dinner. It fit. :) Ate to not hungry, satisfied but not full. Oh well, breakfast is coming soon!

Exercise

20-minute walk
Last edited by pinkhippie on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 pm

Don't see anyone but your family for 3 months and then do an interview.
This made me laugh!

Interviews are always good experience for us, despite not being very relaxing!

You might get a kick out of Creator (my 11 year old) - he has requested admin privileges on my website and declares I have a lot of coding errors that he would like to fix - and he wants to add captions in many languages to all my videos. LOL. I guess I need a web developer.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Auto, I know, that is what I always tell myself. Interviews are great practice no matter the outcome. It's just hard when I spend the rest of the day reliving cringe worthy moments in the interview. Ahh well growing and learning. Your 11 year old sounds awesome! Maybe he could be your web developer down the road. My 11 year old is getting into coding but she has just started learning.

I finally finished re reading Reinhards No S book yesterday and I am re-inspired. His points about the fence around the law and why we avoid snacks all the time no matter what makes a lot of sense to me. Same with seconds. No sweets is usually not an issue for me, but seconds and snacks are. This is usually because I have misjudged my hunger, so like I said earlier, I'm going to work on really getting those habits down and make sure my meals are plenty big, even if I don't finish them. I am also going to specifically track those habits as well for a while.

Also, now that I am at maintenance, I am not going to post my weight every day. I will still keep track of it for myself for now, but only post it if it changes. Right now I am still 154ish, and staying there or 155 works great for me.

June 25, 2020

B: a bowl of bran cereal with milk, cherries, banana, almonds. 1 piece of whole-grain toast with butter, coffee with half and half

L: parmesan chicken, spinach, noodles, half a cup of plain yogurt mixed with peanut butter and banana, 3 apple slices
This all barely fit on one plate. the yogurt was in a ramekin on my plate. I was quite hungry, especially after my vigorous elliptical workout. However, I should have started eating the yogurt first because I got too full to finish, but wanted to keep eating the yogurt, therefore I ate a little past fullness. I wasn't able to finish all the noodles, chicken, and spinach.

D: Bean burrito, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, avocado, salsa, cherries
Definitely overshot lunch. I wasn't even mildly hungry until about 5:30. Ate around 6pm. I tried to remember my lesson from this afternoon and eat the cherries first since that is what I was craving, but I still ate a wee bit too much. Better than this afternoon though. Didn't eat much of the carrots, most of the tomatoes, most of the cherries, and almost all the burrito. It all fit on one plate.Felt a little uncomfortably full for about 10 minutes after the meal, then it faded

No Sweets
No Snacks
No Seconds

Exercise:

30 minutes on the elliptical
Last edited by pinkhippie on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:08 pm

His points about the fence around the law and why we avoid snacks all the time no matter what makes a lot of sense to me.
Isn't it cool how great Reinhard's book is after all these years?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Auto, it really is amazing! I think that is why people continually come back to this way of eating and living, and this forum still has active members after years and years, despite the advent of social media.

My goals for today: Continue to provide myself with larger amounts of food on my plates, but slow down my eating, chew more thoroughly, and check-in halfway through eating. finish each meal feeling comfortable but not stomach stretched even if it means leaving some or a lot of food behind.

I was re-reading my check-in and dizziness really was a huge problem! I know my glasses helped a lot, but I was still prone to it at other times. I wonder why it went away, and I hope it doesn't come back. I don't know if maybe IF helped me balance my blood sugars or what. I did notice that I was eating a lot more food back then, but it was to keep the dizziness away. I have also cut down on my amount of sugar by quite a bit. I don't know, but that was such an awful helpless feeling, and I do feel lightheaded if I am really really really hungry. But now that is the only time.

June 26, 2020

B: cereal with milk, cherries, bananas, almonds. Coffee with half and half, 1 piece of toast with butter.
I was hungry this morning and whenever I have fresh cherries, I crave them with milk and cereal. I will probably go back to oatmeal after I am done with the cherries. I also craved a piece of crunchy toast.

L: 1 bean burrito, yogurt with a drizzle of honey and cinnamon, apples for dipping.
been really into yogurt lately for some reason. Just plain with either fruit or like half a teaspoon of honey. Ate to neutral. I didn't feel full, but I didnt feel hungry. Despite my best efforts, the meal only took 12 minutes. I set a timer for 20 minutes after I was done to see how I would feel at that point. After 20 minutes I felt fine. Not hungry, not too full. Now to see what time I get hungry.

D: 5 chicken nuggets, roasted broccoli, honey mustard, frozen yogurt
Everything worked out really well today. I started thinking about food about an hour before dinner and getting hungry about 30 minutes before dinner, which is my best timing. Ate to the same as lunch. Not hungry, not full.

A 20-minute walk/jog! Ok, like maybe 2 minutes of jogging broken up by walking but its a start! I am very happy about that. Everything feels good.

Also, my recent habits have got my steps up by quite a bit. Now almost every night I reach 7K steps. One habit that has helped is anytime I talk to my husband on the phone I go in our backyard and just walk around. :D

For the first part of my Day the N part

No Sweets
No Snacks
No Seconds
Last edited by pinkhippie on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 pm

My husband has started taking more walks and he schedules phone dates with his brothers or parents. It's so nice for them all to talk more (and walk more!) :-) Win-win.

Pinkie - I totally remember your multiple entries about dizziness. Fascinating that the spells are less frequent now. I would love for you to figure out specifically the triggers for that. Keeping track in this forum is helpful for those sorts of investigations. I can go back months and even years and see what I was eating, feeling, etc. and correlate times of solid habits with times off the wagon, etc.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:06 pm

I’m a fast eater too!! Love the timer idea! To slow myself down I eat in shifts pausing to make each thing as I go for breakfast & lunch but that only works because I’m a virtual player (: at dinner I can be done before others even sit down :lol: (we do our dinners buffet style where everyone plates their own)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Auto, yeah that dizziness was weird. I would love to figure it out too. It still happens every once in a great while. I will try to record it when it does. I love being able to go back in my food journal here and see patterns. I have even used it for making sure leftovers are still good. :D Like, when did I make that chicken? Oh I see the first time I had it was 3 nights ago. So handy!

Jen, yes eating in shifts would definitely slow things down. I have pondered the virtual plating idea as well. Today I took my bean burrito and cooked it in the oven until it was crispy, then ate it with a fork instead of my hands. That REALLY slowed things down!

June 27 2020

B:(10am) 1 bowl of fiber cereal, cherries, banana, milk, almonds coffee with half and half
I wasn't craving crunchy toast today and I ate breakfast late because I slept in. I was hungry when I ate.

L: ( 1pm)1 bean burrito with peppers, onions, salsa and sour cream
I knew there was pizza for dinner tonight so I had a smaller lunch with some extra veggies. I was hungry when I ate, satisfied when I was done

S: (4pm)half an apple with 1/4 plain yogurt and cinnamon
Yum yum this was delicious! I started feeling pretty hungry and dinner was going to be late. I was glad I had this snack after the pizza order was wrong and my husband had to go get the correct order

D:(6 15 pm) 2 pieces small bbq chicken pizza. 1 cookie brownie with half a cup of vanilla bean frozen yogurt.
I ate this pizza very slowly. It didn't seem like a lot of food but I realized that after I ate those two pieces that I was pleasantly satisfied. OH my that cookie brownie hit the spot! I don't normally like them, but today it was just what I wanted and perfect with the frozen yogurt. I was pleasantly full (stomach didn't feel stretched but I felt satisfied)l and content, but didn't feel overfull or like I ate too much. I think that pre-dinner snack really helped as I didn't wolf down my food and ate more leisurely.

Exercise:

30 minutes elliptical, higher intensity than last time. This was a good work out. I was able to push myself harder as my cardio fitness increases.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:03 pm

So happy to see you still doing so,well. I love that you are really tuning into your body to try to meet it’s needs. It’s kind of like combining intuitive eating with nos shich is kind of brilliant!
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm

I agree with Linda!! I love how you have used No S that way!!

I also agree on sometimes a snack helping!! There are times when allowing a small snack keeps me from getting to the too hungry point that always leads to too much food :lol: The brownie/cookie thing sounds awesome!!! Sounds like you mastered the perfect S day :D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm

lpearlmom wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:03 pm
So happy to see you still doing so,well. I love that you are really tuning into your body to try to meet it’s needs. It’s kind of like combining intuitive eating with nos which is kind of brilliant!
Thank you Linda, YES! That is exactly what I am trying to do! It's definitely a tricky dance because I have to organize my hunger to come pretty consistently in a consistent level at consistent times. But, I think it is pretty doable with some flexibility.

June 28 2020

Jen thanks! I really feel like I do better with a snack in between lunch and dinner. It prevents preventative eating and it really helps me not eat so much at dinner. I think I will start planning it as a regular thing. I can't deny I just feel better with a small snack before dinner.

B: 1 waffle with banan, yogurt syrup, 2 pieces of bacon
Our twice monthly waffle breakfast. Don't remember being super hungry, but I felt good when I was done and hungry for lunch around normal time

L: 1 container of lentil vegetable soup with toast and butter
Was hungry and wolfed this down because I had a scheduled phone call in 10 minutes

S: half an apple

D: 2 pieces bbq chicken pizza, roasted broccoli
Was hungry, I feel like my snack needed to be a bit more substantial. I was hungry last night around bedtime.

Exercise:

Not much, Sunday is my day off. Just tried to get my steps in.

Monday June 29 2020

B: 1 bowl cereal with cherries, banana, almonds, milk. Cofee with half and half, Toast with butter

L: whole grain bagel sandwich with banana and peanut butter

S: none! Wasn't hungry.

D: weird vegetarian egg taco things, corn, rice

Exercise:

20 minute walk ( so hard to get back into it after a day off!) But I did and I am glad.

Ugh had HUGE emotional talk with teenager after dinner. I wanted to eat SO BADLY. I was rationalizing it like well I didn't have my afternoon snack so this will be fine. But this is where no S habits saved me. I don't eat after dinner. It's not about my weight, or anything external. It is just a habit I have been cultivating for several years. I recognized that I needed some self care so I made myself some hot tea with a little milk and honey. I really enjoyed it and about 20 minutes later that burning urge to eat had passed. It was completely emotional.

This is why I love No S so much. Putting my eating on habit and structure really helps me identify emotional hunger.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Great job not giving into the urge!! I too can have SUCH strong urges at times to eat for reasons that have NOTHING to do with hunger!! I love the idea of having tea instead!!

And if it makes you feel any better my 18 year old has been a bit of a pill lately. I keep thinking it’s preparing me for him to leave for college :lol:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Hah hah thanks Jen! Now, I just know that eating actually doesn't make me feel better AND it starts to create that habit of feel strong emotions eat something and I don't want to go down that road again. But the tea has to be yummy! no just plain herbal tea... unless you like that sort of thing. ;)

Yeah, teenagers can be tough! My teen is stereotypically "good". she doesn't go out or get in trouble, she listens to what I say, she tries to be a good big sister and member of the family... but it doesn't even seem to matter. Emotionally, she is a LOT to deal with. Her emotional needs seem ever-mounting and impossible to meet sometimes. I know it doesn't help with the blended family aspect either. She has a lot to deal with between us, her dad and his girlfriend, and her stepmom and her boyfriend. Lots of shifting and adjustment there.

June 30- 2020

B: 1 bowl of fiber cereal with cherries, milk, almonds, coffee with half and half
I was not hungry until really late this morning! About 11 30. And even then, not starving. I ate a small breakfast so I would be hungry for lunch

L: 1 fried egg sandwich
after another emotional talk with my teenager... Lunch was a little bit late, but it worked out because of late breakfast.

OS(Optional snack)

D: tortellini alfredo with garlic bread and broccoli

Exercise:

30 minutes Stationary bike.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm

Oh dear, you know I can relate. That emotional stuff can be so difficult to deal with at this age. It’s exhausting & draining. Be kind to yourself. We will get through this, right?? 😊

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi Pinkhippy! I too had a late start to eating-- I should have had your lunch! Too late, too hungry, too many carbs ===> wiped.

It is hard to deal with other adult humans, and the stakes are high for teenagers-- they've never done this before, and everything has more weight. Personally I struggle to let my daughter be upset or angry. It's hard to let her have her feelings because of course I want her to be happy all the time.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Thank you Linda, I know you can! It does help me to feel a little less alone.
Hi Larkspur! Thanks for visiting! I like fried egg sandwiches because they are like a lazy egg salad. :D

Yes teenagers are tough because they are basically like adults... but not. My mom was MIA when I was this age too so I don't have that experience to draw on. I struggle with letting my teen be upset too. Especially because they have so much going on with their mental health. It is hard.

Yesterday I was in the middle of making dinner when suddenly I just needed to get away. The younger girls were bickering, I had had that big talk with my 17-year-old, and I felt trapped. So I stopped chopping veggies, turned off the stove, took my headphones and my phone and listened to music while pacing in the back yard on the side of the house where no one could see me. I felt sad, and then mad and then I started to feel better. I really needed that tiny run away. I came back in 20 minutes later feeling much better and ready to continue on with my evening.

July 1, 2020 ( What happened to June!?)

B: 1 bowl of fiber cereal with cherries, almonds, milk and coffee with half and half

L: 1 fried egg sandwich
I was pretty hungry, had a late small breakfast. I like having a late breakfast lately. It lets me be actually hungry for breakfast and if it's not too big I am hungry in time for lunch, and I can eat yummy stuff without worrying about protein content and all that. Ate lunch to satisfaction

D: 1 homemade hamburger with sweet potato
This was soooo good! Homemade burgers are pretty amazing and I don't make them very often. It was hard to stop eating and I may have eaten a teensy bit too much, but not too bad. the slightly stuffed feeling went away in about 5 minutes.

Exercise

about 40 minutes of walking broken up into 20 minutes chunks
Last edited by pinkhippie on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm so proud of you for recognizing that trapped feeling and heading to the backyard! Wonderful self-care.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am

...I’m impressed too, pinkhippie! When the noise mounts up in our house I can get furious, and then I start to feel frightened that I’m going mad. Eg. DD (17) likes to watch grim, macabre unsolved real life mysteries on TV, and will try to get me involved in speculating what happened to the girl who disappeared etc...or the Kardashians will be blaring out and I can see her IQ dropping by the minute....meanwhile DH is fixated on his phone or iPad or playing slightly-too-loud experimental music. ARGHHHH!

Sometimes DD will ask me which is my favourite Kardashian. How do I answer this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all need to get away...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:15 pm

It’s awesome that you were able to recognize what you needed in that moment and find a way to meet that need. It really makes such a difference. I have such a hard time with boundaries which means i tend to put everyone else's needs before my own. I also tend to forget im not responsible for everyone else's feelings. All i can do is make sure im acting appropriately, the rest is up to them. Easier said then done of course.

Anyway, hang in there. You’re doing great.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Great job on taking a moment for yourself!! I have such a hard time & feel so much guilt for having any negative parenting feelings but when I just take a time out & let myself feel the negative feelings they fade & I’m back to myself so much sooner!!

My teen is a pretty great kid too & in some ways it can leave me feeling like I’m not allowed to feel frustrated with him :lol:
I think that teens have to be “on” with all the other people in their lives to be liked & they need us to be a soft place to land. I try to remind myself of that when I’m feeling frustrated with his moodiness :lol:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Thank you auto! I was happy with myself too. Not so long ago, I know those feelings would have been hiding in the pantry eating secret cookies.

Hi Octavia! You have a 17 year old daughter too! I know that feeling of needing to get away because the noise is overwhelming so well. My blue tooth noise-canceling headphones are some of the best money I have ever spent on myself. I pop those on whenever I start getting overwhelmed. It is so helpful!

Edit I just saw your response Jen! Not sure how I missed it.

Yeah I know what you mean by feeling a bit guilty because your teen is a great kid. That is a great reminder about being a soft place to land! I also try to remind myself of that. I always tell my teen that its ok to be mad at me/us and her feelings are valid and all that. I know they are practicing being adults too. I had heard since I became a parent how difficult the teen years would be, but I just assumed it was because they might be rebellious and go out and get in trouble. hah! No, that is not it. They are such complex creatures and parenting is like walking a tightrope all the time. Especially with the teenagers.

I got word yesterday that I have been chosen for the internship that I interviewed for! I am excited because its a graduation requirement but also nervous. I am basically redesigning and updating a company's website. There has been a lot of confusion about my start date. My adviser keeps telling them I can start early. I keep telling them I can't start until fall, they say they are ok with fall and then my adviser says I can start early. It's getting a bit stressful. I hate having to constantly correct my adviser. Hopefully today I sent my last email about it. My adviser has so much going on, I think she is just missing some vital details. It is really hard for me to set boundaries and it was hard enough to tell this company in the interview that I couldn't start until fall. I guess the universe is just providing me with practice. Lots of practice. Thanks, universe! :)

It just always amazes me how stressed out I get telling people I can't do something or I need to not do something right now. It also makes me want to eat when I do declare boundaries. I feel uncomfortable all day like I have done something wrong. My husband has absolutely no trouble setting boundaries or telling people he can't do something. It is truly amazing to me.

July 2, 2020

B:1 bowl of grape nuts with cherries, milk, coffee with half and half
Yum! Been craving grape nuts, actually ordered them online. Felt full and satisfied after this meal

L:

D: 5 chicken nuggets cup of frozen yogurt, broccoli
I was strangely not hungry for lunch today. Breakfast was late and I realized I felt a lot of stress and wanted to eat but not for physical hunger. We also were having an early dinner so I just waited and never got super hungry. Dinner was good and I didn't feel like I overate.

Exercise:

Walk with jogging surges 20 minutes ( also it feels like 103 here today with almost 80% humidity... So this was harder than normal)
Last edited by pinkhippie on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi pinkhippie and all - good to see some long time posting friends on this thread and always happy to make new friends as well.

I was talking to my husband this morning about this forum (he is concentrating hard on losing ten pounds and I was explaining plateaus, etc., luckily he understands and said he is in no rush - if it takes months to lose the weight the months would have passed anyway.) He has been a working cowboy/horse trainer most of his life and, due to a misdiagnosis, ended up with his left leg being amputated above the knee. It is, therefore, very difficult for him to get in the aerobic activity he was used before the multiple surgeries. He is, emotionally, fine and grateful to be alive but having to adjust to a new lifestyle of course.

So, I said - Hey I haven't read/posted on my No S board in quite a while. Saw this thread and have spent most of the day reading every single post and reply. Loved it all. It is so interesting to watch the progress that you have made by just making wise decisions along the way. And I love reading about your family.

I live in the Missouri Ozarks, am 71 years old , work from home as a legal assistant but have spent a lifetime being interested in health and nutrition. Have been on this board a couple years longer than my date shows due to some glitch. I will say, without a doubt, this is the most supportive group of people I have ever encountered in this sometime scary place called Cyberville. :)

My best to you and yours. Stay the course - you can't go wrong when doing right.

(now off to catch up with some other threads)
Berry

alene1

Post by alene1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Congrats on getting the internship! You will do great, and I'm sure it will be fine if you wait till fall. Just stand firm. Have a great Friday!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 am

Hi Berry! Thank you for coming to visit my thread. I remember you! I am flattered you found it interesting enough to read. I do that too with these check in threads, it is so interesting to see people's progress and get to know them a little bit. And of course, it is great to have these to come back to and read to sometimes see your own decisions more objectively over time.

I am in the Ozarks too! Just in Arkansas. I am sorry to hear about your husband. It sounds like a big adjustment for you and him especially since he had such an active lifestyle before his leg was amputated. That is great that you can talk to him about this forum.

Law is another area I was really interested in and I batted around the idea of being a paralegal legal assistant but I ultimately decided to go with web development. I don't' think I am organized enough to be a legal assistant.

Thanks again for coming to say Hi!

Thanks, Alene! I am nervous about the internship but happy as well. I felt weird most of the day but it finally wore off and now I feel ok about it. I think setting boundaries is just pretty foreign to me.

July 3 2020

Today our holiday started. So I guess it was an S day. Husband had the day off of work and we saw the In-laws.

B: Early lunch of steak, macaroni salad, and broccoli salad
Didn't eat breakfast because I had an early lunch at about 11 with the In-laws. Another social distancing event.

L: technically a giant bottle of Gatorade and some peanuts.
This was in the middle of our bike ride and I was barely making it due to the heat. My husband got some Gatorade at a gas station. Best Gatorade on the planet! I was really needing it.

D: chicken bacon tomato sub sandwich with fries and ranch (half) 1.5 cinnamon sticks
I was so hungry! I ate all that and didn't even feel full, but I felt satisfied.

Exercise:

2-hour bike ride with husband in feels like 103-degree heat
Not heat exhaustion but I got very close. I just didn't want to give up, so we took lots of rests and got some emergency gatorade. I am totally wiped out though.