Jen’s Eating Simplified (:

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pinkhippie

Re: Jen’s Eating Simplified (:

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:27 pm

I am only on episode 2 of Bridgerton! I haven't seen the sex scenes yet. I mean there was that first one... but I haven't seen much yet. I am interested to see what everyone is talking about.

That is sweet about your husband being your best friend. I feel the same way about my husband. The other day he called me his best friend and it made me feel all warm and melty inside. :)

I definitely find myself wanting to nibble after socializing. It sounds like you do a great job being aware of it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 pm

What is this Bridgerton you are all talking about? ;-)

Since I have ZERO protected time for TV viewing, it sounds like it's probably not something I can watch with kids around. :roll:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:19 am

I finished the first season loved it and am now reading the books. Auto: you need to sneak it on your ipad or something. ;)
“Don't let people tell you who you are. You tell *them* who you are.” Shyamala Goplan Harris

Instagram "lpearlmom"

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:37 pm

auto its a Netflix Original. We are on episode 5 now!

Linda I plan to read the books after we finish this first season as well. I do like a good romance novel that is well written.

Jen hope you are doing well!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Auto: It’s worth finding a way to watch it in my option :lol:

Linda: Are the books good, even after the show where you know what will happen? I love reading & was also tempted to read, but wondered if it wouldn’t keep my interest since I already know the outcome!!

I’ll hopefully be back later to actually post. This week has been busy. January is a crazy time at work for me, but I’m actually enjoying it :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 am

I am really enjoying the book so far. It gives a lot more detail and is actually clarifying a few things for me.
“Don't let people tell you who you are. You tell *them* who you are.” Shyamala Goplan Harris

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 pm

That’s awesome Linda!! It’s going on my reading list!!

This week has been busy, but in a good way. I’ve gotten into a good rhythm where I’m organized enough to handle a busy week.

I had a night where I didn’t get good sleep & could tell I was really struggling not to eat the next day after lunch even though I knew I wasn’t hungry which always happens on low sleep!! I finally realized that I didn’t have it in me to white knuckle it until dinner & sat down & had 8 milk duds as a snack & reminded myself that as long as I didn’t throw in the towel, having extra was a total victory because normally on days like this I’ll have “just a couple” and keep having “just a couple” so for me this was so much better!!

This time around I’m really working on being more mindful of times with more & making those days count. I’m positive I’ll have days where I don’t do as well as I did this week, but if I just focus on allowing times with more & moving on I’ll be in much better shape!! So far this year I’ve done such a good of self care with nourishing foods & satisfaction where I’m not going over board with the “self care.”

Most of the time though I’ve been keeping it to 3 meals a day about 5 hours apart. I get hungry for meals but not starving. I think I used to try & wait until I was a little too hungry for meals but notice that makes it harder to stop at enough & I’m better off eating sooner. My clothes are fitting well again & I’m assuming I’ll start getting hungrier as I get to the lower end of my set point weight & want to add in more veggies & fruit when I do!! I have a tendency to feel good about how my clothes fit & not want to ruin my progress & almost work to eat less which ends in disaster when it’s not sustainable!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Ah yes, that delicate balancing act of remaining on point with our moderation goals without flipping into too-strict-ultimate sabotage.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes I used to do the same thing with waiting a little too long to eat meals, and then it felt like my stomach was a bottomless pit. Its good that you are aware of that and also aware that sometimes its just better to not white knuckle it and eat what you want/need. I really think that makes for a sustainable way of eating that you are able to do for the rest of your life.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:00 pm

Auto-It is a delicate balance :lol: And balancing act is just it with me, teetering between a little extra permissive & a little less permissible which I’ve finally realized is my sweet spot!!

Pink: it does feel sustainable. Willpower & white knuckling have never really ended well for me. Sure it works for a while but eventually my willpower runs out!!

Things have still been going well. I’ve had one red day this month which I’m actually okay with. I rate my days blue-green-yellow-orange-red so it’s not so pass/fail & it’s more about eating past full or eating when I’m not hungry, not about following external rules. I think for me it’s normal to have a day where I’m running on empty & fall back into old habits. I read that it’s the willpower part of your brain that is the first to shut down when stressed/overwhelmed. It said the best thing to do is to notice how you feel because the other parts of your brain are more about avoiding pain than future goals so knowing getting too full feels terrible vs feeling guilt for making bad choices has better results when you run out of willpower.

I have been really focused on making choices that feel good which sometimes is recognizing white knuckling is draining my willpower & honoring the craving with seconds or a snack, and sometimes recognizing that it takes time for my brain to register satisfied & also that I have a habit of craving a snack at certain times of the day & distracting myself until the urge passes.I do notice I feel better on days when I don’t give into the urge, I’m hungrier at meals & seem to have more energy, and noticing that does make that choice easier to make most of the time!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm

When I am eating the way my body feels best, I love that light and energetic feeling! Heavy food weighs me down and makes me sluggish feeling. I think especially because of my blood sugar issues my energy is very sensitive to this.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:07 pm

Oh good info on the willpower. That does make sense. It seems to shut down with too much wine too! 😊

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:33 pm

Me too Auto!! I always hate how it’s easy to eat in a way that feels good when I feel good but when I don’t feel my best I tend to eat in a way that leaves me feeling even worse :roll:

Linda that is SO true!! I think it’s why it’s so easy to have the extra drink!! Or unnecessary food after drinks :lol: I really notice I struggle with that when socializing!!

Last night we had our neighbors to the cabin for dinner. I normally kind of wing it on nights like this & social anxiety can have me eating more than I’m hungry for, so last night I preplanned what to eat & had such a better outcome!! It kept me so much more mindful & I made a few swaps like extra appetizer that I was really liking instead of the cornbread that I planned to have with the soup. It felt so much better enjoying what I wanted without getting too full!!

I really think there is a lot to this willpower thing. I have started to realize a goal of weight loss has never worked long term because that goal relies mostly on willpower. Sure it works early on when I’m excited & have plenty of willpower but as time goes on & my willpower starts to deplete I quit doing as well!!

Feeling my best is something I need less willpower for. Remembering how lethargic I feel when I graze on the weekends leaves me feeling much less tempted to graze. It’s immediate gratification vs. long term results & the part of my brain that only cares about right now & wants to increase pleasure but avoid pain needs a reason to say no to the pleasure & future goals don’t interest that part if the brain.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:52 pm

I think focusing on how you feel when eating a certain way makes a lot of sense. I’m pretty sure that’s how “naturally” thin ppl make eating decisions or at least a big part of it.

Instagram "lpearlmom"

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 pm

really think there is a lot to this willpower thing. I have started to realize a goal of weight loss has never worked long term because that goal relies mostly on willpower. Sure it works early on when I’m excited & have plenty of willpower but as time goes on & my willpower starts to deplete I quit doing as well!!

Feeling my best is something I need less willpower for. Remembering how lethargic I feel when I graze on the weekends leaves me feeling much less tempted to graze. It’s immediate gratification vs. long term results & the part of my brain that only cares about right now & wants to increase pleasure but avoid pain needs a reason to say no to the pleasure & future goals don’t interest that part if the brain.
This is all just so true for me that I had to quote the whole thing. I have been realizing the same exact thing.

Hope you are doing well!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:37 am

I agree totally that weight loss as the only goal does seem to take too much willpower.

I'm in this for health reasons now, weight loss and vanity were the reasons I started but health is keeping me going. I'd actually be happy weight wise if I didn't lose any more but my health needs me to.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:16 pm

We took a last minute trip to Disney World over Super Bowl weekend so I’ve been MIA. It’s made life chaotic both before & after. We had fun but traveling with COVID kind of taints everything. With kids in college/heading to college so soon me & my husband have wanted to make the most of the time left.

I don’t do well when we travel without exercise. It doesn’t have to be formal, even if I get up & walk a few miles it’s enough, but without it I don’t feel as good. Aside from walking from line to line I didn’t get exercise when I was gone & it really made me realize that exercise for me is a bit of an antidepressant. I’m less anxious, and more enthusiastic, energetic, & happy when I get it. Because I wasn’t getting that in Disney World I turned to food. I didn’t recognize it until after the trip but I ate extra trying to make the trip feel more fun. I came home feeling awful, but it was really good because it shed some light on how doing that makes things so much less fun & has made me realize structure really helps me with emotional eating!! It’s why my version of No S works when I’m sticking to the habits!!

When it comes down to to every diet, plan, anti diet thing I’ve ever done has been with a goal of stopping emotional eating because it always feels terrible. It’s crazy to me how hard it can be to choose “feel better later” over “want right now.” Ultimately I think it’s something I’ll never actually eliminate. Some of us I think just turn to food when we don’t have enough in us to make better choices. What I can do though is work to keep my “tank full” and plan ahead because gentle boundaries & loose structure lead to better results especially on harder days!!

Being home has felt great getting back into my 3 meals of what I want, 7 days a week. I’ve been working to include more fruit & veggies, mostly to get rid of the ick feeling after a long weekend of eating terribly :lol: My goal is to use structure to help me out on days where I know I’ll be tempted to eat emotionally. It especially happens on vacation & when we socialize (social anxiety). I usually either set the bar too high “no extra eating AT ALL” that leads to throwing in the towel when I don’t live up to that, or too low & eat whatever I want whenever I want to & feel terrible (this trip). Instead I’m going to start planning for extra like I plan my “normal” days. I have a hard time planning for extra because in my days of calorie counting, less food was always the goal so intentionally planning for extra seems wrong :lol: if I can make my “off days” more tame it will have a much bigger impact in how I feel & how my clothes fit than my “on” days ever will though!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:38 pm

So awesome that Disneyworld is open!! We have kind of contemplated going there, but then we had the big dog surgery expense. I still kind of wonder if we should just try to make it happen somehow.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 pm

We had planned a trip to Disneyworld last summer! But then... pandemic. We do have family members who went in December and they said safety protocols are super high. Maybe this summer...

I know what you mean about eating extra to try to have more fun. I did that over the holidays this year too. And after the last vacay I went on, I think I gave up junk food for months just because I felt so bad! At least we can hear what our bodies are telling us and that is great! I know there was a time when I wouldn't have heard what my body was telling me. I have a hard time planning for extra too. My husband gets annoyed with me because he says I always am trying to eat as little as possible rather than as much as possible. It's true really, and its hard to make that mental shift when my body or my soul needs more food! Sounds like you are doing a great job working on that.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Auto/Pink: Disney World was fun & they were taking temps on the way in the park & enforcing masks. It still felt crowded but a lot was outdoors at least where you feel it’s harder to spread!! I’m still avoiding my best friend who is nervous to get it though because it did seem like risky COVID behavior being there!! Me personally couldn’t do it in the summer, the masks felt suffocating at times & it never got above 80. I do great with masks inside but it’s the heat outdoors that gets me!!

Pink: Me too on the not listening to my body!! I used to come home from vacation so focused on weight gain & guilt & plans to make up for “bad eating”. Now I really recognize that it makes me feel physically miserable. I actually think the more I connect those dots the easier it will be to break the habit of eating emotionally in a way that feels terrible. Recognizing feeling terrible makes using emotional eating as a coping skill less appealing!! And I really do think if I learned to listen to my body needing extra food without guilt it would make a huge difference in my relationship with food!! You always have good insight on all of that!!

I caught myself thinking I should have a light weekend after the vacation but quickly squashed those thoughts & opted just to stick to normal. Last night I had an extra drink & chips/salsa before my whole burrito. The “you should have eaten less” voice made me feel tempted to have Milk Duds after dinner but I had tea instead. It’s funny that the perfectionist voice probably more often than not leads to bad choices. That’s where I really need to tap into how I want to feel!! I knew Milk Duds would lead to feeling too full & less hunger & less enjoyment at Breakfast so I chose not to have them.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:42 pm

Yeah our family member told us they were asking people to leave if they didn't have masks on so I know they were enforcing a lot. I know what you mean about not being able to do that in the summer, masks and outdoor heat feel so much worse!

I think you did a great job listening to your body and not eating light after vacation due to "bad eating" guilt. I appreciate your insights on your relationship with food as well! It seems like we are often working on similar things, and you are so good at verbalizing your thoughts on it.

Also, an awesome victory on not having milk duds because you felt like you should have eaten less. The same exact thing happens to me. When I feel like I ate too much, sometimes that makes me want to eat MORE or more treats and then I feel even worse. I imagine choosing tea felt a lot better for your body as well.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 am

Pink: I always feel like we are similar in our approach too & love reading your posts :D

Things have been going well for me!! I love this Instagram person I follow called hooper.fit she has a similar approach to what I do with 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, based on hunger & including “fun” foods with meals. She had a post that talked about habits being more important than results & that first you must get the habit down & once that happens the results will follow.

I realized that I have great habits for working out & eating on “normal” days, but where I need work is on non-normal days where I am more tempted to eat emotionally. For me, I don’t want all 7 days of the week to look the same. I enjoy having a little extra on weekends, holidays, & vacation, but also those days are the ones where I can be tempted to overdo it & and end up too full & feeling crummy because of it. When I have a solid plan I tend to do better. It’s the vague sense of “extra when I need/want it” that tends to backfire with emotional eating. Committing to extra gives me something too look forward to & makes it less tempting to overdo it or graze. I’m someone who does better with structure!! I’ve NEVER enjoyed grazing but will find myself falling into the trap of doing things like grazing on appetizers when socializing or eating too many chips at a Mexican restaurant & ruining my dinner. If instead I plan to have a plate of apps & wait until dinner to have more, it keeps me more mindful of what & how much I am actually eating & leaves me more satisfied than grazing does. I make a point of enjoying it more when I pay attention!! So that’s my main focus going forward. Creating a habit of better planning on non-normal days & intentionally planning for extra (as opposed to using this to eat so much less on non-normal days that it feels restrictive).

This week will be one that can typically be hard. We have friends coming to spend a few nights at the cabin with us. That’s always thrown me for a loop. I graze as a way to cope with social anxiety, feel pressure to eat breakfast/lunch with everyone even though I don’t always want to eat when/what everyone is which leaves me unsatisfied. I’m going to work on having a more solid plan for what to eat for my 3 meals & also quit trying to people please with my eating & eat what/when I want for breakfast & lunch .

I could tell last weekend that a solid plan really helps me!! I like structure with both time management & meals!! I really think that’s why S days didn’t work for me. The free for all became a free pass to eat emotionally. It was the same with IE, no structure lead to not enough reason to choose “feel better later” over “want right now”. With structure I know I’m not hungry because my meals leave me satisfied & that if there is something I want I can just plan to have it with my next meal.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 am

Totally right on the same page as you with the planning. Ive been watching this YouTuber (rachel sharp) who does adf and i realized she meal plans on her eat days pretty much every single day. It sort of hit me the other day that’s what i need to do too. Knowing good things are coming helps me feel safe and i dont feel such a strong compulsion to eat non-stop. Funnily though i think i eat less when in social situations but then again i think drinking is my coping mechanism for social anxiety which is definitely worse.

Anyway so glad you’re figuring out what works. Plus meal planning is fun!

Instagram "lpearlmom"

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Have fun with your guests at the cabin! You guys sure spend a lot of time there. It sounds heavenly, although I get it that with visitors it won't be as relaxing!

And as for planning, I am a fan! I pretty much always plan my meals for the day each morning. On my thread. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:57 pm

I have trouble planning because I eat according to my mood so much. That is one reason I love No S so very much. I can decide what I want when I'm hungry and what Im hungry for because there are no food restrictions. I do meal plan for dinner, but I just have a big list of recipes to make and figure out what I am in the mood for or what works for the family for that day.

Special occasions or differences in the day really throw me off my stride too! For example all these snow days.

I hope you are enjoying your time at the cabin!

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:57 am

Mmmm. Snow. I wish we could get some of that in the South!!
Height: 5'4"
Highest BMI: 34.3
Current BMI: 31.9
Goal BMI: 21.5-23.2 range

*^..^711

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 pm

Linda: I noticed on your thread you were doing well with more planning!! I totally agree, it makes it less tempting to eat extra knowing there is something with being hungry for coming!! I actually do both, have extra drinks & extra food. We spend a lot of time with people where having drinks seems to be a big part of it. I’m usually more mellow than most, but it’s still a lot.

Auto we are here a lot!! It’s only an hour & a half from home & is me & my husband’s happy place. We don’t really like home that much. We’re there until our kids graduate, but we have one foot out the door there :lol:

Pink: I could totally see that!! My daughter & son are like that too. I will know what sounds good, but don’t really care when I have it, I’m super patient with cravings :lol: I knew at the beginning of the week I wanted Chinese while we’re here but didn’t really care when, so all week I’ve had it planned for Saturday night.

Sammy: Snow is fun (in the mountains anyway, much less so in the Suburbs) !! We had little boys from California who were so excited to see it here :lol:

Our friends left today & having a little more structure worked so well while they were here!! Having slightly bigger dinners & extra drinks with guests means I’m usually less hungry during the day & won’t feel hungry enough for both breakfast & lunch so I’ll eat just one. The problem with that is I get extra hungry at dinner & tend to WAY overdo it, so this time I kept my schedule of both breakfast & lunch but just ate a little less & it worked so much better!! I wasn’t as tempted to graze before dinner & since that wasn’t in the plan, it was easy to wait for dinner!! Dinners were much more mild having an idea beforehand of what to eat. I picked things I was really excited about that left me feeling done & not coming home looking for dessert. I’m someone who does so much better with structure so it makes sense that I’ve always struggled on weekends/vacation when I “loosen up” and am not as structured. I’ve always stuck to my usual 3 meal rhythm on weekends/vacation but it’s the “what” that I never was as intentional with. It never occurred to me to create structure that intentionally included extra!!

I did really good at managing my social anxiety this time too!! Whenever I started down the path of beating myself up for something I did/said I reminded myself that I’m a pretty considerate, generous person & that if they didn’t like me for me, there wasn’t much I could do about it. It really hit me that working to be the perfect friend wasn’t going to be something I could sustain. I just had to be me, flaws & all, and not worry so much about if that was enough or not. I’m hoping I can start going treating all relationships like that, putting less pressure on myself to be perfect & taking it less personally that I’m not for everyone.

Today it’s just me & my crew. We’re having a chill morning & skiing after lunch. Then we’re ordering chinese & watching a movie tonight. After 3 nights of hanging with friends & having extra drinks it sounds amazing to have a low key night!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 pm

Your day plans with the family sound so so wonderful. Skiing, Chinese food, and a movie?! Perfect day!
I just had to be me, flaws & all, and not worry so much about if that was enough or not. I’m hoping I can start going treating all relationships like that, putting less pressure on myself to be perfect & taking it less personally that I’m not for everyone.
Yeah. All of that ditto for me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:51 pm

I just had to be me, flaws & all, and not worry so much about if that was enough or not. I’m hoping I can start going treating all relationships like that, putting less pressure on myself to be perfect & taking it less personally that I’m not for everyone.
Yep I was going to requote the same thing. I had just sent a text to a friend and I was kind of agonizing over it. Was I nice enough? Did I sound interested enough and caring enough? And then I decided, this is me and I have to be ok with it. If they have a question about something I said it's up to them to ask it. I can't keep quadruple-guessing myself so everyone will like me. And then I got on here and saw what you had typed in your post. So, kind of like what you were saying. It's so true, and kind of a hard lesson to learn(and relearn) and keep working on. :)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm

Auto/Pink I love that that quote resonated :D And Pink that is totally me, overthinking texts!!

It felt nice to just be us after having guests!! We have been watching Ted Lasso which is SO GOOD!! Seriously such a feel good show that all of us LOVE which doesn’t happen often!! My son even puts his phone down for it :lol:

I decided my weekend should be like “normal” days after a week with a little extra which wasn’t realistic. It was still a mild weekend, but I did have unplanned extra. After experimenting with giving up Milk Duds last week it was candy that I pushed the limits on. Restricting, even for the “right” reasons (to feel good) doesn’t work for me. I just do better including small amounts daily or I feel the need to get it while I can when I do include it.

I’m putting a tighter ceiling on number of drinks. I always have a daily ceiling, but it changes based on what’s going on & is probably a bit too high overall. I’m going to have a weekly limit instead so that I can choose each night, but once the weekly ceiling is hit, no more. It’s already made me be more mindful if it’s worth it to have one or “one more” and when I’m stealing from future me, it’s a little less appealing. Plus we like having a couple on date night & weekends so it’s worth waiting instead of wasting them on a “Tuesday”.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:33 pm

I have been trying the sweets everyday strategy since I got my Valentine's Candy. I have noticed it seems to cut down on weekend S madness which is something I have suspected is an issue for me for a while. But, I have to use extreme willpower to only have a small predetermined amount every day, instead of just not having it at all. It's still an experiment in progress. But it feels more natural to me rather than just tanking up on sweet stuff on the weekends. Anyway, just to say I think I may do better not restricting, even if it is to "feel good" also. :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm

But, I have to use extreme willpower to only have a small predetermined amount every day, instead of just not having it at all.
Pinkie - this is exactly my situation with alcohol

Jen - I'm right with you on moderation with alcohol. Well, actually at the moment I have given up on moderation and hence just taking a clean break. So much energy put into moderation and at the moment I have other things I need my energy for!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:44 pm

Auto, yes it is tough! I guess my goal is to achieve the habit of moderation all the time. Like maybe somewhere along the way I got in the habit of gorging on sweets, and I am trying to get the habit of eating a moderate amount. We will see!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Auto: moderation is hard!! For me I usually focus on the number & while I am focusing on the number somewhat, I’m focusing more on being mindful about how I feel before, during, and after I heard that a drink typically has 20 minutes “up” followed by a down that leaves you needing another. That has actually really helped me be more mindful of if I really want to start that yo-yo with my emotions.I do feel drinks are fun but leave me feeling lethargic & meh after. No drinks is less fun but I feel good all night.

Pink: with sweets everyday I do great during “normal” times. I tell myself I can have fruit if I’m still “hungry” but no more sweet. On a day when I feel off though, I still can find myself having “a little more” but it’s pretty rare. That’s where last weekend I realized “no sweets” wasn’t going to help, I’d just eat in a way that felt crappy on the weekend & end up with the same total amount as if I just had a little each day :lol:

I’m in such a good place at the moment with drinks & food. I’ve been so much more mindful about both & feel great. As the days get longer though I tend to struggle less with eating more than enough. Not sure if my body likes keeping extra weight on in the winter or if it’s just the winter blues that leave me using food as a crutch to feel better. Still tweaking the balance of adding fruits & veggies but being less hungry for meals. I can’t eat less “normal” food without feeling deprived, but adding fruits & veggies tends the leave me less hungry & it will take hours (6+) to be hungry again, but it doesn’t feel good to wait longer than 5 hours to me. If my weight came down a little I think I’d need the extra food so I probably just need to be patient!!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Yes that is what I was coming to realize with the sweets situation too. Eating a lot on the weekend to make up for the N days was pretty much leading to the same amount only feeling really terrible because I ate more than was good for me in a single day.

I think my body likes a little extra weight during the winter for sure! It sounds like you are doing great with your food and your drink. Onward with patience! :)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Yesterday I woke up too early (4:45) and was tired. Being tired is an immediate drain on my willpower tank. It’s hard to feel motivated, I procrastinate, and usually feel more hungry & crave carbs, looking to food for to help me through the day. I had a little extra at lunch even more at dinner. I felt actual hunger, but definitely wanted carbs and ended up getting a little too full. Days where I “need” more are part of life for me. I’ve noticed how much more calm things are now than how they used to be. Habituating food, no off limits foods, structure of 3 meals a day, eating what I “want” (that is both mentally & physically satisfying vs only what my taste buds want), avoiding “diet” foods, and being more mindful of how I want to feel have all made such a huge difference in my relationship with food!! My goal has always been the PERFECT relationship with food but that isn’t realistic. I’m going to be tired, overwhelmed, or hit times where extra food is part of the fun & eat in a way that doesn’t feel good. Today I feel much better after a good nights sleep!! We head to the cabin later so today will be busy getting ready for that. We’ve gotten in a bad habit of takeout/eating out too much so I’m working on dinners at home. I do like the break from cooking though so tonight I’m just doing roast beef sandwiches with ruffles potato chips that is at least an easy dinner!!