Carolyn's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Carolyn1006

Carolyn's Check In

Post by Carolyn1006 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:03 am

I stumbled across No S years ago, thought it sounded superbly reasonable, and then…forgot about it. I remembered it a few months back when I was gearing up for what I knew would be a profoundly stressful season of life and ordered the book. In the past, my strategy for dealing with this particular type of stress is to make extremely ambitious goals and then fail miserably. This time, I just wanted to limit any undue mental burden and not gain weight. That’s it. I have been following No S for the last month or so.

I realized pretty quickly that I was going to have to allow the fruit any time mod for two reasons: a) I am nursing a baby and b) psychology. I have had severe morning/all day sickness for the duration of all my pregnancies. Once I started tuning in to my body and attempted to only eat three meals a day I realized that I was starting to panic after about 2 hours with no food. Two hours is nothing, right? But after five pregnancies in ten years, my brain associates hunger with danger. During pregnancy, hunger=hours of vomiting. I have found that when the panic starts to set in, all it takes is telling myself (sometimes out loud), “If you are hungry, you can eat fruit.” Sometimes I actually eat fruit, but lately I haven’t needed it. Something about recognizing and confronting the panic has been very healing.

Another really interesting element of this lifestyle has been rediscovering food that I actually enjoy. I have been dieting or restricting food in one way or another since I was a young teen. Even when I was not actively dieting, there were still foods that I never ate just because they became taboo. Like peanut butter and jelly. Why? I don’t know. I can’t tell you how transformative it has been to eat, enjoy, and then be done until the next meal. The jury is still out on whether I like my coffee black or with cream. I have been drinking it black for so many years because...calories. But maybe I like half and half? I honestly don't know.

As someone who has taught theology for years, I really appreciated the focus on virtue in the No S book. There is nothing explicitly religious, but the tenets of moral theology are all there and boy, am I embarrassed to realize how disordered my interior life is compared to what I teach my students! In theology, we talk about freedom as being the ability to do, not whatever you want, but what you ought. What I am finding with No S is that kind of freedom. I ought to feed myself well, to eat in a communal setting with my family (not covertly), to give thanks for the food I eat, and so on but when I was chained to restricting or dieting, I couldn’t do any of that. "Putting a fence around the law" is truly liberating.

I have lost probably 2-3 lbs over the last month taking in to account normal fluctuation. Not much, but the goal was not to gain. Now that the end of the stress is in sight, I am committing to 21 days of No S. I will continue the fruit any time mod as needed. I am also going to keep alcohol for S days only.

ladybird30

Re: Carolyn's Check In

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:29 am

Welcome Carolyn
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Welcome, you have a good plan. I wish you luck.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:41 am

Day 1

B. Baked oatmeal, small apple
L. scrambled eggs, English muffin, small bowl of soup
D. Chicken pasta and green beans

Fruit any time: 2 bananas, 4 dates

In my month dry run, I got in the habit of virtual plating a little too often. Today I made sure to put my food on a plate (even made sure the soup bowl fit on my lunch plate) and sat down for every meal. It was probably too much food but it was an intensely stressful day and I am happy that I stuck with the plan.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Today is my son's birthday. He is young enough to care if I participate in the festivities, but I don't want to go full S. So my plan is 3 meals and a little bit of birthday cake this evening.
Breakfast- 2 almond flour muffins

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:57 pm

Well done for sticking with the plan under stress. I think that putting out all your food at once on one plate and sitting down to eat is a good habit to get into. I have found it useful.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Well yesterday didn't go quite as planned, but I did stick with 3 meals and only a little funny business. I probably should have just made it an S day since it was a special occasion but I don't regret building in some moderation. Today:
Breakfast: Two almond muffins + banana
Lunch: Bowl of chicken and veggie soup + slice of bread
Dinner: TBD

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:38 pm

Well done for sticking with the 3 meals

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:07 pm

Yesterday went well. Nothing eventful although I did eat past the point of fullness at dinner. Honestly, I could have skipped dinner altogether.

Today:
Breakfast: 2 almond muffins + 1 banana
Lunch: Caesar salad, lasagna, and a piece of garlic bread (This was a huge meal. I haven't quite figured out how much I need to get from one meal to the next).

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:43 pm

I got some difficult news yesterday which normally would have sent me into a tailspin. I actually decided to give in an eat something sweet but I realized pretty quickly that it wasn't going to help anything. A few months ago, eating one thing would have led to another and another. Instead, I threw a piece of Ghiradelli chocolate in the trash because I just...didn't want it. So yesterday was a red day, but it still feels like a victory because I can feel my brain getting rewired.

Today:
Breakfast: 2 pieces of whole grain toast, 2 T peanut butter, 1 small apple
Lunch: Bowl of soup, 1 piece of whole grain bread
Dinner: Tortellini with sauce, Caesar salad

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:33 am

Still a victory

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:40 am

S Day!

I followed the three meal pattern until this evening just because it felt right. After dinner, I had some popcorn and a little dark chocolate and that felt plenty indulgent. Oh and some wine. :)

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:45 pm

Yesterday was another S day. Again, I was surprised by the ease of enjoying sweets and snacks without going overboard. Back to Ns today. I have hoping to a solid week of green.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:20 am

Whoops! I missed a few days in the busyness of life. Things have mostly been going well with a few slip ups. I decided to extend this out to a 6 month challenge. My daughter will be about a year old 6 months from now and my general goal is to be back to my prepreg weight by then, or at least close. Unfortunately, breastfeeding is not my friend when it comes to weight loss. I always LOL when people say that weight just falls off when you are nursing a baby. My body is convinced I am in the midst of a famine and holds on to every blessed calorie.

Today was an S day (birthday). Back to N days tomorrow!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:18 pm

Hi Carolyn!

Welcome to No S!

Sounds like you are doing well! I also started doing No S while I was nursing. Wow! It was hard! Breastfeeding made me insanely hungry all the time! I think your fruit mod is a great idea. I also remember reading we are particularly susceptible to sugar and fat cravings while hungry and nursing because that is a quick source of calories so keeping yourself from getting too hungry with your fruit snacking sounds good too. Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say Hi and empathize with the breastfeeding and weight. My weight did NOT just fall off while breastfeeding. Good luck!

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:39 pm

9/9

Breakfast: Carrot muffin
Lunch: Strawberries and pear fruit salad, salami, energy bite, and air-popped popcorn. Am I the only one who ends up with rather eclectic meals?

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Yesterday:
B. 2 slices of Dave's killer bread, 2 T PB, banana
L. Tuna fish, flax chips, pear
D. Fish, rice, salad, sourdough bread, half banana

Today: S day!
I am planning to stick with three meals with a sweet or two a day this weekend. It felt really comfortable last weekend. I had sourdough toast with butter, a pear, and a little dark chocolate for breakfast today. Yum.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:28 pm

I am going to start tracking exercise here too. Yesterday, I walked about 2.5 miles. Today I have an hour of PT which, trust me!, is a workout. I am hoping to get in a walk too though.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Well Saturday I ended up walking a cumulative 7 miles with the family, plus an hour of intense physical therapy. I was more than happy to rest on Sunday! My S days felt really moderate. I did end up eating between meals but nothing crazy. I ate some sweets because I could, but the only thing I actually enjoyed was dark chocolate. Happy to be back to N days today. We have a lot of religious holidays this week so rather than go full S on those days, I am going to allow one S (probably a little dessert with my family in the evening).

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 am

Today was RED. The weekend didn't feel constrictive, but maybe I didn't give myself enough freedom. Whatever the case, I took a bite of something between meals, then another, and then went into full on "what the heck" mode. I am ending today at 7 pm and will start fresh tomorrow.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Breakfast: Fajita + banana
Lunch: Half quesadilla, 1/3 avocado, 3 squares dark chocolate (religious holiday), sugar snap peas
Dinner: Spaghetti with meat sauce, veggies

Green!

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 pm

I forgot to include yesterday's exercise - 25 min of a strength workout program I have really been enjoying.

Today:
B. Two slices of Dave's killer bread, 2 T peanut butter, 1 banana
L. Spaghetti, green beans, an apple, and a little dark chocolate (another religious S day)
D. Chili

I am hoping to get in a good long walk this afternoon.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 pm

No time for a walk yesterday. I am planning to do my 25 minute workout this afternoon.

B. 2 slices Dave's killer bread + 2 T PB + banana
L. Chili + cornbread
D. Leftovers of some sort...maybe stir fry

My husband gave me an enormous, 32 ounce Yeti and I have really been enjoying hot tea all day long. I do 1 green chai tea bag per cup with a little milk and it is just perfect. I have always been an all-day-long tea drinker but I love not having to microwave a mug a gazillion times to keep it warm.

My weight really isn't budging which is disheartening. I know postpartum hormones + age are working against me, so I will keep trucking. Even if I don't lose another pound, the food freedom is so worth it to me.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi Carolyn! Looks like you are doing great!
Even if I don't lose another pound, the food freedom is so worth it to me.
I totally agree with this! No S is not for fast immediate results. At least not usually... but the mental space cleared up by not obsessing over food, and actually enjoying your food is so amazing and so worth it!

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 pm

Boy! What a week! TGIF. I got in 20 minutes of strength + 1 mile walk yesterday.

B. Overnight oats with berries and pepitos. I love overnight oats but rarely remember to set them up!
L. Tuna fish sandwich + banana+ a little dark chocolate (After four days straight of getting up at 4 for work meetings, I really felt like throwing in the towel this morning. Instead I used a small plate for lunch and added a little chocolate as a concession. The cravings are gone and I think I can make it to bed time without snacking or other sweets.)
D. Will be tuna noodle casserole and veggies

I am planning for a 2.5 mile walk this evening to burn off some stress.

Carolyn1006

Post by Carolyn1006 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm

We had a quiet, refreshing weekend. Saturday was spent taking every blessed thing out of the garage, reorganizing, and putting it all back again. We moved into our house awhile ago and still hadn't gotten into all the boxes, so it felt good to get it done. Sunday, I got in a nice long hike with a friend. Beautiful weather! I enjoyed some sweet and snack through the weekend but nothing crazy. I weighed myself on a whim this morning and I hit a new low! I know my weight will bounce up again but it was nice to break through the number I have been sitting at for weeks. I track weight trends and I have lost about 6 lbs since June. It isn't much, but it does add up to about 2 lbs a month.

Today
B. Dave's Killer bread + PB+ blueberries
L. TBD
D. Homemade pizza, salad