Pinkhippies daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Re: Pinkhippies daily check in

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Just making sure a few people I've communicated with have seen this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12589
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 68
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 pm

I agree, too. Sounds like you're in a very good place. Way to go!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 200.6
Current weight: 183.8
195- 11/2/20 (193.6)
190- 1/2/21 (188. 8)
185- 10/19/21 (183.8)
180- (FIRST GOAL)
175-
170-
165-
160- (SECOND GOAL)
155-
150-
145- (THIRD GOAL)
140-
135 - (ULTIMATE GOAL)

*^..^711

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Thank you Soprano, Oolala and Sammybunny!

Oolala! Thank you for the heads up on Reinhard's topic! Maybe just to be safe I will take my check-in and copy-paste it to a document or something. I know he wouldn't do anything without letting us know, but just in case...

I have almost posted here several times in the past month, but I never have anything to say! Well, one thing I guess is I'm still trying to decide if daily desserts are for me. On one hand, they can become habitual, but on the other hand, they reduce that urge to go nuts on the weekend. Like we got a box of donuts from the in-laws yesterday and I have had one. One donut. The box is sitting there on the table, but I don't WANT a donut. I also have lots of candy in my pantry for Halloween but I don't want that either. Now... after dinner I might want a few pieces. Or maybe a donut. But it doesn't feel compulsive like it used to. And I don't have that fear of missing out because I can't eat it during the week. So, I think I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing.

My husband and I went on a six-mile hike yesterday and one of my knees didn't like it! I have it in a brace today but I can't walk without pain. So annoying. I have still been mountain biking on a fairly regular basis and getting much more comfortable on my bike and getting better in general.

I guess the one thing that has been going on is my 12 year old has turned into a sloth. And every time she has PE she complains for the next 3 days because she can't walk without pain. The other thing that concerns me is she will only walk on her forefoot, ball of her foot. She says it's uncomfortable to walk on her heels. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get her more active so PE won't wipe her out so much. She does mountain bike ride a few times a month, but it's not enough.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 am

Your daughter sounds like my nephew, I think it is something to do with a shortened tendon, she may benefit from physio and some stretching exercises.

Worth getting it checked out.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Interesting Soprano. I will look into that, and in the meantime try to get her to do some stretching.

Today I was at the dentist for almost 4 hours getting a crown. My poor jaw is so sore from having to hold my mouth open. I have a tight jaw and dentist visits are always hard on me. This crown was replacing a back molar so it was rough. Luckily I had delicious potato soup on the menu for tonight. I was so hungry when I could finally eat again that I ate two bowls of it.

I guess I am not sticking super hard to no seconds at dinner. That would probably be the step that would result in weight loss for me, but it's also the step that makes me feel anxious and more hungry and leads to rebound eating, so I'm not doing that part just yet. I eat to satisfaction/reasonable fullness and if that involves seconds, so be it. Dinner is especially hard because I am feeding my 3 kids. Sometimes, I don't know if there will be enough if it's something they like so I always take a small portion and then take a second small portion if there is any left and I am still hungry. Sometimes there isn't and then I make a half PBJ or something. So dinner just can't be an exact science. But, for lunch and breakfast, I do not do seconds.

Oct 25 Monday

B: a bowl of cornflakes with milk, crushed walnuts, banana, and milk

L: PBJ with a few apple slices, half a glass of milk

D: 2 bowls of potato soup, 2 slices of french bread with butter, 2 mini reeses.

TeacherJ

Post by TeacherJ » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm

I love potato soup. I haven't had it in a long time. I may have to change that.
5'2 female; 40-something years old

Started No S on 7/11/21
Starting size: 16/XL
Current size: 16/XL
Goal size: 10/M

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Teacher J, I don't think I had ever made it! All my kids hated it but more for meeee! Its great too because I have so much left over, I get to have it on this cold blustery day for lunch.

Stayed green all week so far. (my definition of green right now I guess is just no snacks and no stuffing. :lol: Like I don't overeat to the point of eating more than I need. I do still have a small dessert after dinner. Lately its been 2 reeses minis. Im interested to see how I do with Halloween candy this year. Last year I couldn't stop eating it.

Yesterday Oct 26 2021

B: Raisin bran, banana, nuts milk

L: 1.5 bowls of potato soup, 2 slices bread

D: 2 ham and cheese hot pockets with buttered broccoli, 2 reeses minis, 3 licorice twists.

Today Oct 27 2021 Wednesday

B: raisin bran, banana nuts, milk

L: 1 piece beef jerky, bowl of potato soup, 1 piece of bread, steamed broccoli

Was hungry between lunch and dinner. Probably helped along by a cold and rainy day. I made some tea with milk and sugar and it hit the spot.

D: 1.5 portions of baked ravioli, 1 garlic knot, 3 Twizzlers, 2 reeses minis

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 am

More than half of my teeth are crowned. None in the very front. I don't think I've ever had a 4-hour procedure, though. When I was a kid and we had very little money, we lived near dental school so I had work done there. Everything took at least three times as long- so much longer that when I went to a regular dentist a several years later on my own as a teenager, I almost started crying because when he got done so fast, I thought maybe he was trying to pull a fast one because my mom wasn't there. Nope, it was just that he had years of experience! But also at the school, they used a dam to keep patients' mouths open. Even when you don't have to work to keep your mouth open, your jaw gets sore. I feel for ya.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 68
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 am

Well done on keeping green despite the dental work! And yum, potato soup, delicious, especially at this time of year!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Oolala yeah I guess it's just something that happens. The procedure didn't take quite so long, it was just that they make the crown onsite so I had to wait for it to get made. That sounds tough to have everything take so long at a dental school! No wonder they are using a dam. I hate those because it holds my mouth open wider than it can comfortably go.

My jaw and my teeth feel much better now though.

Thanks Amy!

Well, I didn't eat too much candy during Halloween but then I noticed a strange pattern where I was eating a little more every day, and then this weekend, anytime I ate anything sugary I got a headache and just felt bad. So... I guess I need to go back to vanilla no s with no sugar during the week. Healthwise and habitwise, it just makes sense. It's kind of an insidious creeping and I don't want to feel bad when I eat sugar.

But, Im really glad I gave it a good long experiment to really come to the conclusion on my own as to what is better for me and how I feel.

So, we will see how it goes this week.

I will probably be in sugar withdrawal.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:27 am

Good luck with the sugar withdrawal...like you with sugar, I have come to a similar conclusion for myself with alcohol - it just doesn't do me any favors at all, so I decided to take a break until the end of the year.

And you inspired me - I made potato soup last week and really enjoyed it! Glad your mouth is feeling better!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Hey Amy!
Glad I could inspire you! Im definitely going to have to make potato soup one more time before the year is over!

Good luck with no alcohol! Today is DAY 1 with no sweetsfor me. I didn't have any trouble with no dessert after lunch because I have only been having sweets with lunch since Halloween. Dinner will be the challenge. I have frozen fruit, tea, and cereal for an emergency sweet crave.

Breakfast:
raisin bran with milk, nuts, blueberries and milk

Lunch
Egg, melted cheese and ham sandwich, sauteed broccoli

D paremsan chicken with rice, a biscuit and some frozen mixed fruit
( I had no veggies, tommorow is grocery day and we are out. Brought in some fruit to add color and fiber at the very least! LOL)

Gingerbread Tea

I did it! No sweets today! The fruit really helped. The tea was good too. Also no seconds which I don't always manage to do. Today was a success.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 am

Well done! Just take it day by day and before you know it, you'll have a whole string of sugar free days! :mrgreen:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:53 pm

pinkhippie wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Brought in some fruit to add color and fiber at the very least! LOL)
I love a colourful plate with lots of different vegies or fruit on it. Somehow seems much more inviting to me than just various shades of brown.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:25 am

Thanks for the encouragement Amy! I hope so!

Ladybird yes, I always feel like I'm eating the SAD diet when everything on my plate is beige or brown. I like a lot of color too.

Tuesday

Breakfast
Raisin bran, walnuts banana and milk

Lunch
Parmesan chicken, rice, a huge helping of green beans and a biscuit

Dinner
2 eggs in a hat, peaches and strawberries.

Decaf chocolate hazelnut tea

Another day of no sweets and no seconds. I'm also easing my lunchtime a little earlier. It had been later so that the between lunch and dinner hours were less and so easier not to snack but with the result of not being hungry for dinner and so actually overeating. If I don't have a hunger cue I don't have a satisfaction cue.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:29 am

Day 3!
Im feeling it today. My car had all the warning lights go on and Im suspecting the hyrid battery is about to go which means we might have to get a new car in the middle of a car shortage. I have to take my 9 year old to a field trip she is really looking forward to tommorrow and then I'm going to the mechanic. Suffice to say, a lot of stress and wow some Halloween candy would really hit the spot! I did not do it though.

Breakfast
Raisin bran, banana, walnuts milk

Lunch
Parmesan chicken, rice, green beans, a clementine

Dinner
3 pork tacos on corn tortillas with salsa, 1 clementine

Organic chocolate orange tea with milk

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 am

Well done on resisting! Hope you get the car sorted.
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks Soprano!

Its the hybrid battery of course... Oh and a the water pump! I have spent the past week looking into all my options and Im still trying to figure it out. Sigh.. At least it still drives!

This weekend I did quite well with my No Sing, As some of you know, I have dessert with my family every Friday night so I start my S day at dinner time on Friday but end my S day on Sunday after breakfast. I think that probably evens it out. I did not have a dessert on Sunday. I had pizza and a brownie on Saturday but still stuck to 3 meals no snacks.

Last week was all green!

Monday is going well. No seconds, 3 meals only and No sweets.

Breakfast
Raisin bran strawberries, milk, crushed almonds

Lunch
Homemade vegetable soup, two pieces of buttered toast, 1 clementine

Dinner
1 bowl of Chicken veggie stir fry, a very small apple and a few pieces of frozen fruit

Ginger Lemon Tea

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:04 pm

So we ended up taking the car to the dealership. I know I know... believe it or not, they were only a few hundred more for a new battery and they were less for the water pump. So that plus the loaner car I get to drive around this week, and I guess its worth it. Im just grateful we have enough in savings to cover the cost and fingers crossed my little car lasts at least 3 more years! Im driving a 2022 Toyota Camry right now and Im like wow! New cars! bluetooth! Technology! LOL My car seemed like cutting edge when I got in 2007 with its digital display and its back up camera. Cars have come a long way since then!

Anyway, on to eating.

I have been writing in my planner the 3 habits of 3 meals, No sweets and no seconds and it's curiously motivating. I really want to be able to cross those boxes off at the end of the day. If there was ever a stressful week that I craved sweets after dinner it was this week! I wanted to eat chocolate A LOT with the stress of deciding to put so much money into my old car. But I did not! And I am happy I didn't because I feel better physically. Still the same weight though. SIgh...

Oh and I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I'm doing for the first time NaNoWriMo. It has been a very educational experience and takes a lot of discipline to write my required amount of words a day. But, I'm doing good and I finally know what the ending of my story will be (pretty much) I hit 37 thousand words today! The most writing I have ever accomplished on a novel attempt.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 am

Well done on resisting the stress eating - it is not easy when facing upheaval like the decision you had to make on the car. And NaNoWriMo, that is a big deal and it sounds like you are going to make it with that word count! I attempted it several times, and only managed to reach the final word count once. Nowadays I do my daily writing on the website "750 words", which for me is very motivating, and I find 750 words a lot more doable. Good luck on finishing! :D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Thank you Amy! That's awesome you have done nano wri mo and finished your word count and that you have done Nano so many times!

I finished my word count for Nanowrimo today. It was pretty intense and now that I know what it's really like I don't know if I could do it again! It's the first story I have ever finished in my life, and I'm pretty happy with "draft zero" as they say.

Amy, thank you, I have never heard of the website 750 words and I looked it up and that looks awesome! I'm totally going to sign up! One thing I really enjoyed about the nano was having a reason to write every day. I felt like my creativity was unleashed and my ideas seemed to flow for the first time in a long time and I want to keep it up. This looks like a great less overwhelming way to keep up the habit. So thank you for letting me know about that.

Also, I got my car back! It drives amazingly! My husband says it drives like it's new again and I wouldn't go that far, but I hadn't realized how much the quality of driving had degraded over time until those problems went away. I guess my battery had been going for a long time. I also went back to 49 mpg city driving which I haven' seen in YEARS. When I took it in last week it was at 33 MPG and previous to that it had been 39 or 40 for a very long time. Anyway, I'm relieved and I really hope the car can keep going for the next few years. I'm going to take as good of care of it as I possibly can.

Well eating. This week hasn't been as good. I had seconds yesterday because of the dinner I made. I served myself a small amount in case there wasn't enough and after everyone had finished eating I was still hungry so I had another spoonful. I haven't had any sweets. I was visiting my dad two days ago and he brought out graham crackers and tea at 3 pm. I couldn't resist. But, it's ok this week is going to be wonky anyway.

We are celebrating Thanksgiving Thursday with my family and Friday with my husband's family so two special days there. But I'm going to try not to snack and be moderate. We will see what ends up happening.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 am

Congratulations on finishing NaNoWriMo and completing the first draft of your story! That is a huge accomplishment - well done! I know what you mean about the daily writing habit and not wanting to let go of it. I hope 750 words works well for you. I find it highly motivating to want to keep up my streak! :D

And getting your car back in such good shape, that is awesome - right before Thanksgiving, too! Enjoy the holiday! It does make the week a bit wonky but so nice you get the chance to spend it with family, it sounds like it is worth the two S days! :mrgreen: And next week you can make a fresh start on the eating.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Thank you Amy! Now that I have done it and I have had 3 days where I haven't written, I can't believe I actually did it! Revising will be a whole other experience. 750 words sounds so much more doable and motivating. Yes, it's so nice to get my car sorted before the holidays!

Phew, yep lots of food so far this week. I have been trying to have still only 2 or 3 meals a day and dessert only once. I only had 2 meals on Thanksgiving and the day after because we did big meals around 11:30. Today I had 3 meals and one dessert. ( a slice of Pumpkin pie with ice cream) I know weight means nothing but my weight has been maintained so far during the holidays. We will see what happens...

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:14 am

Well, it is always good to know you are holding steady! :mrgreen: I bet it will be a relief in a way to get back to normal eating next week. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday here in Belgium, just a normal weekday, so I never have to deal with the dietary fallout from it, for which I am grateful :wink: Enjoy your Sunday!