ladybird's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Soprano

Re: ladybird's check in

Post by Soprano » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:59 am

That's great news Ladybird well done being consistent and moderate.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 pm

Quick hello from me! Just popped by to do a quick update. It’s so nice to keep in touch with everyone here. Hope all’s good with you. Sounds like you are still doing well on your journey! I related to what you said about getting a meal size wrong. It’s something I do - make my meals too small then struggle to avoid stodgy snacks! I hate getting all hungry and weak.The challenge of moderation continues! Take care. :)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:10 pm

Thx Soprano and Octavia
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:03 am

Well done! Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 pm

Thanks Amy. It's taken a lot of persistence and practice to get to this stage.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Mon 8 , Tues 9, Wed 10 success
Thurs 11 failure - after a 9km (5 mile) walk in the rain with a walking group, I came home rather cold and damp. In spite of seconds for lunch, I was hungry again by mid afternoon, and had a snack which I think I needed. No overeating involved.

I will add that I don't usually eat morning tea when we stop for a break on these walks . I hardly needed it on Thursday with a decent breakfast only a couple of hours before and not being hungry.
Fri 12 success
Sat 13 , Sun 14 3 meals

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:22 am

Mon 15, Tues 16 success, although I don't think I had quite enough to eat.
Wed 17 technically success, but felt like I'd eaten too much dinner. One of those times allowing myself seconds lead to too much. Judging by what I was thinking, a direct consequence of a bit of undereating Tuesday.
Thurs 18 - not hungry when woke up, so really enjoyed my pot of home made soup when I got home from a mornings exercise. Success
Fri 19 success
Sat 20 , Sun 21 3 meals
Last edited by ladybird30 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:30 pm

Mon 22, Tues 23 success
Wed 24 failure- was feeling rather tired and lethargic, and in the late afternoon suddenly cracked and had afternoon tea.

To keep the 3 meal structure going, I turned it into an early dinner, but it wasn't planned, so hence a failure.

Thurs 25 - decided to declare this an S day to accommodate afternoon tea. After a light breakfast I went out with a walking group and belted around the local forest for several hours. While I had as much lunch as was comfortable on a 13 or 14km (8 or 9miles) walk, I was pretty hungry when I got home and didn't feel like waiting for dinner.

The wildflowers were pretty good.

Fri 26 success
Last edited by ladybird30 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:22 am

Well done on navigating the boundaries of your No-S to accommodate your walking - sometimes a challenge to work around things that affect appetite in a different way.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:36 am

Thanks Amy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Thats cool that you have a walking group! I like hiking but feel unsafe doing it on my own.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:52 am

Mon 29 Tues 30 success
Wed 31 success sort of- had dinner in 2 parts, 2 hours apart.This was planned, including what I was going to eat, as at dinner time I was feeling too tired to eat a full meal, but I knew 1/2 a meal wouldn't be enough.
If it hadn't been planned, I would have called it supper and marked the day a failure.

August summary - weight 134 - 136, much the same as last month. Call it maintenance.
Eating was a bit erratic at times, but only one real moment of concern when I had an unplanned afternoon snack.

Thurs 1 SEP another long walk today, 15km with ups and downs. I was rather hungry when I got home mid afternoon. Decided to wait and have an early dinner rather than afternoon tea. I don't want to get into the habit of eating between meals again.
Success.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:08 pm

Congratulations on maintaining!

It's really interesting to me how important the habit of not snacking is, and how quickly it seems that it can become a habit to snack again. Good job waiting until early dinner! Especially after your walk!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:20 am

Thanks Pink. The change in my eating habits is very important to me, and I am willing to go to some lengths to keep the new ones.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:27 am

Fri 2 SEP, success
Sat 3, Sun 4 3 meals

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:26 am

Mon 5, Tues 6, Wed 7, Thurs, Fri success
Sat, Sun 3 meals

Mon 12, Tues - Thurs- Fri success
Sat 13 3 meals. I woke up feeling a bit tired and unrefreshed. The weather was also a bit blah, wet and uninviting outdoors. Just the sort of situation that would once have had me heading to the kitchen for some unneeded food to give me a boost . I could feel the pull, but put it aside to do some more work on an article I am writing for a club magazine.

Later in the morning when I was properly hungry, I had breakfast after which I went for a mood boosting walk in a break in the weather.

Sun 3 meals

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 am

Mon 19, Tues , Wed success
Thurs S day as I was walking with a group which breaks up my usual routine. 2 meals and 2 snacks
Fri success
Sat 3 meals
Last edited by ladybird30 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:51 pm

This post will be about my progress from bingeing to not currently bingeing.

Anything I write will be about me personally, and I don't want to suggest that mine is the best or only way of approaching this problem.

I am more of an abstainer than a moderator. I am not really interested in learning to eat highly processed foods moderately, because I prefer to eat a nutritious diet of foods that make me feel good.

I started bingeing as a teen, partly due to enormous stress, and partly due to not eating enough during the day while I was at school. Once my brain had got used to me doing this, especially when I started eating large quantities of energy dense highly processed food products, the problem was compounded by physical withdrawal symptoms.

My first step some decades ago was to start to reduce the negative emotions associated with bingeing. I recognised that the more upset I got with myself, the worse things were. If I took a more relaxed and detached view, episodes tended to run the their course.

After self medicating with food after a bereavement 20 years ago I took the next step. I stopped eating my main binge food by finding a substitute which was similar, but didn't have quite the same pull to eat such large quantities. I also promised myself when I was in the supermarket that I could have anything I wanted, as long as it wasn't this particular food. This worked well.

No doubt getting over my loss helped as well.

It may be important that my substitute, while still high in fat and sugar was homemade and had only two ingredients. Unlike the food I was trying to eliminate, which had many highly processed ingredients and was no doubt formulated to make me eat as much of it as possible.

About a year after I stopped eating this food, I had some at a function. My reaction was so what, and I haven't eaten any since. I eventually stopped eating the substitute too mostly.

This post is long enough, so I will continue later.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:33 pm

Mon 26 success, although I may have eaten a bit too much lunch thanks to unnecessary seconds.