Ellis tries again!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ellis

Ellis tries again!

Post by Ellis » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:10 am

I hope it's okay to make a new topic for my check in. I started my previous one in august 2020. I did lose some weight back then, very slowly. I have no idea why I stopped. Usually I lose my focus (with any type of diet) when I have a few weeks off work or when I am on vacation. I guess that's what happened back then. After that I followed no-S on and off, not really sure how to handle my S days. I added rules, I added more rules and in the end it makes it much more complicated and harder to stick to. I do need some additional rule for S days, because free reigns means binging, but not too many. So here's what I am planning to do:

Normal days
• Plain No-S (no sweets, no snacks, no seconds)

S-days weekend
• Just 3 meals, no snacking, and no seconds
• I can have a sweet breakfast if I want
• 1 dessert

S-days special days like holidays or birthdays
• No rules

Weigh-in on first Friday of the month
2-12-22: 65.1 kg
Last edited by Ellis on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year - Weight (BMI)
7/20 - 65.3 kg (23.1)
7/21 - 62.5 kg (22.1)
7/22 - 66.1 kg (23.4)

CW: 65.1 kg - GW: 58 kg

Soprano

Re: Ellis tries again!

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:34 am

Try not to think of it as a diet you are on. For it to work and for you to maintain your losses you have to make permanent changes to your eating habits.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:44 am

Soprano, that's a really good point. I've been dieting since I was a teenager (with a normal weight even) and I've always had a troubled relationship with food. No -S fixed that in a way for me, so I still can't really understand why I stopped back then. But that doesn't matter anymore, because here I am. :) I do know that special events, where I get to see people I've not seen in a while, trigger my diet demons. :( The "I need to lose xx pounds so I will look good" will make me look into crash diets for a quick fix. I will have to let that go. It's tough, but I try to remember the peace no-S comes with. :D
7/20 - 65.3 kg (23.1)
7/21 - 62.5 kg (22.1)
7/22 - 66.1 kg (23.4)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:22 pm

I understand and have been the same, I don't diet now and I'm the lightest I've ever been it's as much a mental journey as a physical one.

Good luck

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 pm

Losing that diet mentality is a big part of making peace with food, but I have found that being consistent with NoS really helps. I also have another No S - no starving.

Making your own version of NoS you can stick with really helps, so sounds like you are on the right track.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am

No starving was one of my rules too. :)

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:00 am

I have told people not to go on a diet but instead to change their diet. When you change your diet, it can include having a relatively fixed eating schedule and content of meals. What is the smartest way to feed myself for pleasure AND long term vitality?- which has meant for me being very willing to restrict-oh, that forbidden word- some foods much more as my body processes them more poorly and I understand better what price I pay for continuing to eat them. The quality of so many foods that people have come to accept as baseline sg has become so poor. The hard truth is that the more refined (packaged, boxed, prepared, cooked by others, etc) a food is, the less real satiety it provides. Reinhard never made a big deal about it, but when you look at his early descriptions of intelligent dietary defaults, you saw that very little of his food was/is packaged or '"convenient." He seemed to gravitate to that rather naturally, maybe because he's a rather rational person!

I venture that you gave up on it because insane eating is the norm and sane eating is not very well reinforced. But relapse can actually work to re-motivate you, and you notice much more quickly when you start veering off again. Accept that you will likely never be happy eating willy nilly, that having sane restrictions is much more human and satisfying.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 68
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:57 am

I will second your comments Oolala.

One of the reasons for the normalisation of highly processed food consumption is that some of them have become seen as healthy, whether that image is deserved or not.

We all know that some processed food products aren't good to eat in large quantities, but others have become accepted as an everyday item.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:19 am

Soprano: That's great! Thanks to no-S I've reached that point as well and it felt great. I hope it will get me there again. :)

ladybird30: The diet mentality is tough! Especially the need for diet hopping. Like, no-S works, no need to change anything. :oops:

oolala53: Thank you for your insight! It's true that we are consuming too much processed food, and it's not ideal for the body. The good thing is that no-S N days motivate me to eat healthy. I am very motivated! The only think that is bothering me is that it took me so long to lose the weight. But thats my diet mentality talking. It's not a diet, it's my lifestyle and it's a sane one. :D Patience Patience...
7/20 - 65.3 kg (23.1)
7/21 - 62.5 kg (22.1)
7/22 - 66.1 kg (23.4)

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:54 am

My N-days are still green since last weeks tuesday. :D Yesterday I ordered junk food... :oops: It's defintitely my weakness, but I opened the bags in the kitchen, put it on a plate and left the rest for my partner to eat later. This is something I would never be able to do in the past, but no-S taught me moderation. One plate is enough!

I thought about making junk food an S, since there are no forbidden foods on the no-S diet. But I am taking it slow. I want to build the habit first, and try vanilla no-S. It worked well a few years ago. :)
7/20 - 65.3 kg (23.1)
7/21 - 62.5 kg (22.1)
7/22 - 66.1 kg (23.4)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:36 am

I have always found that eating 3 meals a day is enough of a challenge. I deal with what I eat at the shopping stage rather than in the kitchen.

Fortunately, my food shopping choices have improved a lot over the years.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:56 am

Very wise not to overload yourself with a bunch of restrictions, just focus on the one plate habit. One plate of junk food is still one plate of food! :mrgreen: No-S is the basic framework upon which we can hang lots of other good habits, but we have to get the framework solid first.

Ellis

Start weight: 65.1 kg

Post by Ellis » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am

Thanks ladybird and Amy! :D You guys are right, first building the habit of the 3 meals a day again and one plate.

I weighed myself and I gained a bit since last month, but that's not really a surprise since I just started 10 days ago again. So I will set my todays weight as my start weight.

I feel pretty good about december though, even though we will probably eat a lot with Christmas dinner. :D I only have one extra NWS-day which is second Christmas day on the 26th.
7/20 - 65.3 kg (23.1)
7/21 - 62.5 kg (22.1)
7/22 - 66.1 kg (23.4)