Tslne's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tslne

Tslne's Daily Check In

Post by Tslne » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:43 am

So yesterday (26 Dec. 2006) was my first official No-S day. I'm counting it as a sucess for my personal goals though maybe not exactly by the rules.

(8am) - 12 oz fat free soy milk - not a meal or snack

Breakfast: (11am) 1 egg, 1 slice of toast, 1 orange, slice of leftover ham

(2pm) - extra light olive oil for shangri-la...this is calories but I'm not counting it as a meal or a snack, more like medicine since it can't be taken wiht anything that has flavor.

Lunch: (4pm) casserole with potatos, assorted veggies, and chicken plus a slice of homemade whole wheat bread

Dinner: (9pm) 1/2 turkey burger only ketchup and approximately 10 oz of veggie-beef soup

(11 pm) - 12 oz fat free soy milk - not a meal or a snack

According to the calorie tracker I use on spark people, I'm at 1370 for the day with measured portion sizes. My fat was a little high (because of the olive oil, I think) but everything else was in their target range. I felt only a mild distant hunger before breakfast and after lunch but it was easily manageable.

The milk should maybe go with a meal if I'm being true to the "only calories at meals" thing but I prefer my meals with water and I've been drinking 12 oz of milk first thing in the morning and last thing at night for the past 6 months or so. I don't want to change too many habits at once or I'll never be able to sustain it...
"Avoid making irrevokable decisions when tired or hungry."

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:22 am

Day 2 – I’m calling it success

(8am) – skipped my morning milk. It was harder than I thought possible but I managed. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do it tomorrow, and I’m not going to require it of myself, only try…

(10 am) – Breakfast: smoothie with 11 oz meal replacement shake, ¼ cup dry whole wheat oatmeal, 1 cup of mixed frozen no sugar added berries, and ice

(2pm) – Lunch: 8” diameter octagonal plate with assorted leftovers reheated. ½ baked sweet potato, ½ cob of corn, green beans, small slices of ham and pieces of roasted chicken. Also had small (10 oz) cup of sour cherry juice (the kind form the organic section that tastes like someone took pie cherries and squished them before mixing the results with water. There’s no added sugar or any ingredients except cherries and water)

(4pm) – ELOO for Shangri-La

(10pm) – Dinner: I eat as I type but it’s more that I should eat than that I’m hungry so I know I won’t go over. Whole wheat oatmeal (1/2 cup dry, made with water) with ¼ cup applesauce, 1 slice of homemade 12 grain bread, 13oz organic type skim milk

I felt only mildly distant hunger between lunch and my ELOO dose but once I managed to choke that down, I wasn’t interested in anything else. I’m still not. I suspect that the careful portion measuring will get old but it helps that I portion everything out the evening before when I’m not hungry. Also, I figure that in time, I’ll be able to just eyeball the portions. I hope so at least and the “one plate” gives me a guideline for if/when I eat out. Then, I’ll stick to one physical plate instead of the “it would fit on a plate if it was the type of food I would put on a plate” thing.

At any rate, keeping to the three meals has cut out the constant stress snacking. I can wait. I am not going to starve. I am not even hungry. That cuts a lot of calories out of my day. I suspect my knitting will get better since I have been using it to give my hands something to do when I would rather munch mindlessly.

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 am

Day 3 - Success

(10 am) Breakfast Smoothie (same as yesterday)

(2pm) Lunch: assorted plate including ¼ acorn baked acorn squash, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and some morning star corn dogs

(7pm) Dinner: 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes and 2 slices of homemade 12 grain bread (1 tbsp of peanut butter on one of them and the other plain)

Notice the missing ELOO? Yes, I skipped it. Bad idea. I’ve eaten my planned meals for the day and still feel hungry, very hungry. A sharp contrast to the lack of interest I was feeling yesterday. I have a large glass of soy milk left for what I am allowing myself to consume today…I’m hoping to wait a little longer for that so I’m sipping my third liter of water today. I am not at all thirsty. I am hungry…but I’ll manage…being hungry will not hurt me.

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:00 am

Day 4 (12/29) - Success!
Day 5 (12/30) - Success!

Yes, I know 12/30 was a Saturday. But I figure since Monday is New Years day and that's clearly a "Special" day, One more N day this week wouldn't hurt me.

I'm not sure if we're going by calendar day or practical day though. On 12/30, I had breakfast around noon, lunch around 7pm, and dinner around 2am on the 31st. Or at least, I'm counting it as my dinner and it was one plate for my third meal. That's dinner in my practical day becasue I'll be going to bed in about an hour or so to end my Saturday.

I guess calendar day wise, it was my first meal of Sunday. That could throw off my whole schedule since it was so early if it was supposed to be an N day but since it's an S-day anyway, I guess it doesn't matter either way.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 pm

Great attitude and you are off to a wonderful start. Keep up the good work and the personal motivating. Have a happy new year.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:25 am

Day 6 (12/31) – Sunday – I went a bit overboard. There was lots of snacking and no real meals. I drank more alcohol calories than I want to think about. That’s okay though. We planned for it.

Day 7 (1/1) – Monday, Special Day – 3 distinct meals following the no seconds rule (I have the will power to not eat more tonight, and if I don’t, a dose of ELOO will supply the willpower.) I ate 80 calories of caramels (2) and one scoop of ice cream with caramel syrup for sweets. The caramels were before breakfast and the ice cream was with dinner. It would have fit on the plate and it was a pretty small plate.

Tomorrow, it’s back to the grindstone.

Tslne

Post by Tslne » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:15 pm

Day 8 (1/2) – Success!

Day 9 (1/3) – Failure. Oh…I could justify it if I wanted. My throat was scratchy so I had a smoothie for breakfast, oatmeal with applesauce for lunch, and a milkshake and some hot tea for dinner. Sure, the milkshake was frozen yoghurt and soy milk. Yes it had organic peanut butter and a banana in it instead of chocolate. But it was still a milkshake and milkshakes are dessert, not dinner. I should have chosen a smoothie instead if I couldn’t stand the thought of real food. Next time, I’ll make sure I have enough ice on hand so I’m not tempted to use frozen yoghurt for my frozen drink. So that’s the No Sweets rule broken since I didn’t have seconds or snacks (unless you call throat lozenges snacks which I don’t.) I was 1/3 of the way there but I’ll do better next time.

The New Day 1 (1/4) – Success! My throat is still scratchy to the point that talking on the phone at work today was torture. Smoothie for breakfast, One of those weight loss drinks for lunch, and I am currently choking down dinner, plain oatmeal with a bit of honey. Then I’m going to bed.