lmt2pt's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lmt2pt

lmt2pt's check in

Post by lmt2pt » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:10 pm

Day one, so far so good. Well, at least with diet and exercise. Not so much on my other goals.

No S: Success Overdid the food on my plates, but going from constantly snacking and drinking soda I'm sure I still cut quite a bit of calories
ShovelGlove: Success This was too much fun for words. Had to use an actual shovel until I can take the 30 minute drive to the hardware store this weekend.
(sub)Urban Ranger: Success Not easy to create opportunities when nothing is withing walking distance. Still I walked the dog for nearly 2 hours and instead of stopping at the uberconvenient Walgreens on my way home from work I stopped at Super Target to get dental floss. Parked in the absolute farthest parking spot from the door and took the least direct route to what I needed.

Daily cleaning and money tracking: Failure No excuses, just didn't feel like doing it when I got home.
Complaint-free: Failure I was expecting that one though. That is going to take me a long, long time to work on.
Heather

lmt2pt

Day 2

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 pm

No S- Success. Even though I was still hungry after dinner I didn't eat. I'm not sure how much of it was hunger and how much of it was just sitting in a bar/restaraunt for 2 hours playing trivia and watching the in-laws eat all my favorite dishes. I drank iced tea and didn't eat a thing.

Shovelglove- Success. I was so tired yesterday I really didn't want to do it, but I did it anyway. Boy am I glad I did. It was the only thing that broke my long string of naps. I was full of energy afterwords.

(sub)Urban Ranger- Failure. Between the rain and the fact that the only time I left the house was for trivia I did almost no walking. I could make the excuse that no opportunities presented themselves as the only possible one was at the restaraunt where it rained both when we got there and when we left, and we parked in the handicapped spot because my brother in law is in a wheel chair. I could but I won't because it is up to me to make opportunities. I could have done more in the house, walked between showers or when it wasn't raining hard. I could have dropped BIL off at the door and parked at the far end of the parking lot. There is a lot I could have done but CHOOSE not to do.

Daily Clean/Moneytracker- Failure, again. Can't go three days, have to do it today.

Complaint Free- Failure, but I feel like I complained less then usual so I'm getting better.
Heather

lmt2pt

Day 3

Post by lmt2pt » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

I've decided to eliminate Dailycleaning/money tracking from the list. Those are things I can do once a week and I just am trying to do too much right now.

No S- Success
Shovelglove- Success
Urban Ranger- Thank to some pretty heavy rain, not much outdoor opportunities. Did pace around the office a bit, but I'm sure I could have done more so I'm counting it as FAILURE.
Complaint Free- Failure. I'm still getting better!
Heather

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Try adding only one new habit per month, or when you really feel ready to tackle a new one.
Good that you are complaining less! haha! :lol:
LOL..
Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 am

Fell off the wagon. Well sort of. I could claim they have all been sick days as I have had some malicious headaches that have been bad enough to prevent me from driving. That said, I still made the choice to not follow the programs and the choice not to exercise. But the headaches have subsided (why can't I find a massage therapist as good at treating headaches as I am?), I haven't felt like over eating and I decided to repaint the bedroom. So tomorrow morning I'm back on track.

The great news: I'm down to being able to count the number of times I complain on one hand. That includes the complaints I think, not just the ones I say out loud. I'm on my way to going a whole day without complaining. Woohoo!

Thanks for the reminder about one new habit a month. I'm still going for all four (no s, shovelglove, urban ranger and complaint free) but I'm being realistic. I'm not expecting perfection but I am trying to get better each day and when I do mess up I'm sure to examine why and how so that I learn something. I must be doing something right, my tight pants now fit comfortably again.
Heather