ladebbie's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ladebbie

ladebbie's check-in

Post by ladebbie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:05 am

It's 8pm on a Saturday--I just found this diet and I'm planning on starting tomorrow, which is funny because tomorrow is Sunday and so it's a day of seconds and sweets.

I hope this works. I have been dieting since I was 13 and I never have really learned how to eat normally. All I learned was how to obsess over food and either diet or binge.

ladebbie

Day 1

Post by ladebbie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:00 am

Day 1 - S day.

I have no way of weighing myself so I don't know exactly what I weigh. I haven't been to the doctor for months (where I get weighed) but I do have an appointment in January so I will find out what I weigh then.

I don't have any sweets in the house today and I hardly ate anything yet, just 2 baked potatoes with some oil and salt. Thinking of making a crustless pumpkin pie (and eat it all tonight)--cause I don't feel like making crust-too much trouble.

I'm going shopping tonight to get supplies for the next five no S days--so I won't be buying any sweets. I could make a cake or cookies from scratch during no S days, but that's a lot of trouble so I know I won't be tempted by that.

ladebbie

Day 2

Post by ladebbie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:46 am

Yesterday, Sunday was an S - Day. I made the pumpkin crustless pie and it tasted good but it was soo gritty that I couldn't stand to eat it. I remember when you could buy canned pumpkin pie filling and it was very smooth--quality control really sucks now doesn't it?

I decided to consider a day as starting at sunrise instead of at midnight. I bought plenty of food for the 5 N days last night. I did pig out on potato chips before going to sleep so it was like one third of a bag.

I have a huge problem with not having regular sleeping hours because of insomnia i guess. Instead of having set times for my meals I am waiting until I feel hungry to eat a meal.

So far today I have only eaten one meal--it took about 7 hours to get hungry again (going to eat after I post this.) I had 2 sandwiches with some potato chips. I didn't want to stop eating when the my plate was empty but I didn't feel hungry when I was done. It wasn't my stomach I wanted to fill--I just wanted to keep tasting the food. I think I was a bit stuffed also. Actually I'm not sure I should be using my Corelle dinner plates because they are about a foot wide! I'll worry about that later though. Right now just not eating sweets, seconds or snacks is enough to worry about.

ladebbie

Day 3

Post by ladebbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:55 am

Yesterday(Monday) -Day 2- No S Day- SUCCESS

I did feel tempted to snack today, Tuesday, but I didn't. I think it was because I was tired. I am eating food I would usually eat on a binge, not the healthiest, but only a plateful and at mealtimes. I am trying to make sure I have one serving of fruit or vegetables though, but eating a lot of fat.

Still not eating nearly as much as I did before on binge days, and in the past few years most days have been binge days. My eating pattern was strict dieting until I couldn't stand it any more. Then I would stock the house with junk and other high-fat and/or high sugar foods, planning on counting calories without restricting food type. Next I would get sick of counting calories and decide that I was going to diet on the healthiest food only AFTER I ate up all the junk food. That became a reason to eat it all as quickly as possible so I could start the healthy diet again. Eventually the healthy diet would only last less than a day.

I feel really excited about the No S Diet now. I think this is really going to work for me.

ladebbie

Day 4

Post by ladebbie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Yesterday-Day 3- No S day- SUCCESS

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 am

congratulations! well done.
wim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi La Debbie :)
Great name!
haha..
Got your myspace friend request. Nice to meet ya!
Sorry I haven't written here or there yet. I have been using all my free time to record these days..
I will try to keep in touch. More likely on myspace than here, cos I'm there often.
Good luck with NoS!
It's so worth the effort you put into it.
You can eat normally and take *ALL* the credit for the hard work you do, and not be a slave to a pill or a shake or God forbid, a calorie counting tracker!!!
Yuk!!!
haha..
You'll do great but just don't expect to never have messups, cos they happen.
You will learn from all of them.
Hopefully your habits will get solid quickly!
Peace and Love,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness