Mark's Weekly Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mbarlowm

Mark's Weekly Check In

Post by mbarlowm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

I want to simplify, and just do a weekly check in. I've been doing shovelglove and a not quite 100% attempt at No S for about 2 weeks. What I mean by that is the rules of No S influence me. It has prevented me from going to the gas station for a soda the last two weeks, but I do have a little snack or sweet more often than just on weekends.

But I'm really excited about Shovelglove and there was no checkin in that forum. I was sore the first few days but now I don't notice anything. I started with a 8 lb hammer and I can already tell how much easier it is to lift. The moves are interesting, and I find it help to envision myself actually shoveling, and to watch myself in the mirror. I'm counting reps, but I sometimes go over because I'm not paying attention.

I hope to lose (and keep off) about 40 lbs. and though 2 weeks is not enough time to really say what's happening to my body, I do seem to be consistently coming in a little lower on the scale. Last year I did an exercise and portion control program and lost about ten pounds, but I didn't keep it up and now I'm right back where I was. I hope this weekly check in will keep me semi-accountable.

Week 1
Weight: 250
Did not take other measurements.

Week 2
Weight: 249
Waist: 44
Abdomen: 46
Chest: 45
Neck: 16.5
Bicep: 15
Thigh: 29
Calf: 19
Last edited by mbarlowm on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbarlowm

Post by mbarlowm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Week 3 (I am only posting measurements that changed since last week)
Weight: 247
Waist: 43.5
Bicep: 14.5
Thigh: 28.5
Calf: 18.5

Another great week of shovelgove and No S. I'm really excited by the weight loss (and to clarify, 247 is my average weight from the last 15 days, scale weight today was 244) I've even converted a friend to everyday systems, who has started his own unique combination of Shovelglove and other exercise. I find that I'm living the rules of No S even though I didn't set out to. It just makes sense to not go get a snack everytime I'm bored. It's getting easier.

I'm a little embarrased to show a shirtless picture of myself in my current form, but I'm really hopeful about this form changing.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Wow! You're off to a great start-I think you're doing really well-1/2 inch off everywhere and 3 lbs gone, that's very encouraging!

You'll be glad when you've gotten closer to (or at) your goal that you put your pics and measurements up-it'll be such an inspiration, for yourself and others!

Keep it up! 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

franxious

Post by franxious » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi!

I took some "before" pictures of myself, too, at the beginning of January. I plan to take some "during" pix at the beginning of February. If there's any discernable difference, I'll post them. It might be a nice Sticky thread, actually. I've been doing No-S and Shovelglove, and also riding an elliptical. I'll let you know if I do post the pix, in case you want to check them out. I have no doubt that this plan works!

Lisa

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Mark,

You are awesome. You've thrown down the gauntlet.

40 pounds is exactly what I lost. Took me about a year of nos + shovelglove, but it's stayed off for 5 years and change now without any yoyoing or significant worry. The hard part is up front -- soldier on past that and it only gets easier.

Best of luck and looking forward to "durings,"

Reinhard

mbarlowm

Post by mbarlowm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Week 4
Bicep: 15
Thigh: 28

Thanks for your support everybody. I hit a little slowing down as far as results this week but that's OK. I'm finding it easier and easier to turn down snacks and to not get a soda when I go out to eat, and I still look forward to shovelglove every morning.

Bicep went up, but that could be expected since shovelglvoe is strength building, after all. Then again it could be due to inconsistency in the way I'm measuring. On to another great week