Annie's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anniecbee

Annie's check-in

Post by anniecbee » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm a total newbie. I saw the Woman's World article and it made sense. I've looked over the website, and have ordered the book. Yesterday was my first day. It wasn't bad at all! I realize that when I was younger (I'm 49) I never snacked. My "generation" had three square meals and that was it....occasionally my mom would make a special snack on a Saturday, but that was the exception, not the rule. And only water between meals. That was the family rule. Well, guess what? I ate a ton at meals, but never had to think about my weight until I was 30 and started the McDougall diet and snacked all the time. And every diet down the pike has advocated snacking, and none of them work for long. I had a decent breakfast yesterday, a great lunch, and a well-balanced dinner. Sure, I was hungry between meals, but I just kept drinking my water. Knowing that I could eat what I wanted at the next meal kept me going. I never hit the candy jar once. And my office is right between a bakery and Dairy Queen, and I didn't visit either one. So I had a great day! No S all the way. I'd like to lose the 30 pounds I've gained n the last 2 years.
Annie

angellaclark

Post by angellaclark » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:54 pm

:D I have been dieting for the past year now and all I have accomplished is NOTHING ! I am right where I was a year ago and I am so frustrated with the extra weight I am carring that I could scream. I am going to give this a try and hopefully in conjunction with the Curves program I will begin to see some success and feel better about myself. I have 30 lbs to lose starting TODAY :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 pm

And every diet down the pike has advocated snacking, and none of them work for long.
anniecbee,

I got sucked into the whole snacking phenomenon too .... like I was going to lie down and starve to death between lunch and dinner if I didn't eat something .... :lol:

now I think about it that is just so silly! Oh well,

glad for No S ... it gives me confidence to just say no thank you to all that excess eating,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey