Alien-bear checks in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alien-bear

Alien-bear checks in

Post by alien-bear » Sun May 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi all!

I have been No-S-ing for almost a week. I had 2 failures and 5 successes. Next week will be a good one. I am still getting used to eating enough.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun May 11, 2008 9:03 pm

alien-bear

Welcome!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

alien-bear

Monday

Post by alien-bear » Mon May 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome Blueskighs!

I had a pretty good weekend, enjoyed my sweets and snacks for sure.

Today
super pancake with mixed berries

veggie burger/ potato salad/ broccoli

pork chops/ barley risotto/ asparagus

2 cups coffee
1 fruit juice soda

alien-bear

Monday was good

Post by alien-bear » Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm

No real issues on Monday -
Never felt hungry, never felt obsessively snacky.

Though, I was very stressed out all afternoon, had a late meeting (5-6) and had a bit of a headache. Still food was just not an option.

I had a moment after dinner where I contemplated a glass of wine, which is OK, but decided on raspberry chocolate tea instead.

food was 100% compliant yeserday

plan for today
egg and cheese, canadian bacon on a whole wheat english muffin and a glass of V8 (banana? too?)

might be eating out, waiting on word of pre-meeting meeting (as absurd as it sounds) if I can eat in, I have a lean Cuisine brick oven pizza awaiting me with a small salad.

Dinner is healthy lasagna and more salad

after dinner tea and 2 coffees in there as well.

alien-bear

Post by alien-bear » Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 am

So, things went off the rails a bit today.

Let me write about it so that I may learn from it.

Breakfast was fine - 1 egg, RF cheese, Canadian Bacon on a mutlti-grain English muffin with a banana and a glass of V8

then I had some coffee.

Around 1:30 I had lunch, the first thing I did was eat a piece of bread dipped in olive oil, I took a bite, realized my mistake and set it back down. My husband asked me to share a pizza and salad for 2 with him. First they brought the salad, then the pizza with a tiny side plate to put slices on. I ate too much pizza, 3 pieces. It was vegetable, thin and on a whole wheat crust, good for you pizza! but I did not have a clear idea of how many pieces would fit on one plate before I started. Had I put it on a plate with the Greek salad, I would have seen it was too much food.

The outcome was that at dinner time, the food I made was not appealing to me, I wasn't hungry yet. So I ended up snacking on watermelon a few minutes ago. Sure I could call that my dinner... But I know the score.

So, the good- no sweets today and I probably did not really overdo it on calories today. The bad- Seconds and snacks and watching that slow tumble downhill started with a small bite of bread. I need better skills in planning my approach to eating out. Pizza is not a good idea unless I can fill my plate and stop right there.

I'll manage better tomorrow. No guilt, moving on, just a wee bit bothered by the red on my habitcal....

alien-bear

wednesday morning

Post by alien-bear » Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 pm

It should be a good day. I have a list of things to do but the whole day to get them done.

My food plan is

toast with peanut butter and a sliced apple and some yogurt
coffee with milk and splenda

Lean cuisine grilled chicken and vegetables over pasta
salad

cornbread and beef skillet pie (made with Quorn grounds)
steamed broccoli

other - hot tea and V8 if necessary

I am planning water aerobics at 10

alien-bear

Post by alien-bear » Sat May 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Thursday and Friday were crazy-busy. Thursday was red, I had a small piece of chocolate in the afternoon at Target. Stress-eating....
Friday however was a green day, I had to shop, set up for, and feed about 150 people for an end of the year school cook out. My DH wanted to go out to dinner which meant not eating while starving and surrounded by food. Dinner ended up being at 8:00 at a local Mexican place, two beers, no chips, stopped eating when I was full, said no to dessert.

I just realized a few minutes ago that it is an S day. I was starting to get hungry and trying to figure out where lunch and dinner are coming from and then went "But wait, its Saturday!" I can have a snack now and eat a late afternoon meal and not screw anything up.

Funny, I'm not wanting sweets, I was earlier in the week, but can't think of anything I'm in the mood for today.

alien-bear

the week begins

Post by alien-bear » Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Saturday and Sunday were successful as that is the only way they can be.

I wrote up a complete meal plan and grocery list for the week. I see Friday as being perhaps problematic, Long day ending with setting up for camping with 5 other families in another state. Someone else is in charge of dinner that night. I will do my very best to delay gratification until Saturday as far as sweets goes and to fit everything on a plate.

I had a brownie yesterday and a small oatmeal cookie with lunch, Saturday was sweets free I think.

here is my plan

Monday - B- ezekiel toast, one egg, skim milk, blueberries 1/2 banana

L- chicken salad with walnuts, & grapes on English muffin halves

D- WW elbows with veggies and beef

Tuesday - B baked oatmeal, chai latte, grapefruit

L- Amy’s brown rice bowl, green salad, fruit

D- board meeting food

wednesday - B- skim milk, cherries, plain yogurt, flax meal and honey, ezekiel toast

L- pack in for field trip (grilled cheese, fruit salad, thermos of soup)

D-WW gnocchi, zucchini ribbons, brown butter / green salad

Thursday - B- baked oatmeal, chai latte grapefruit

L- eating out

D - chicken and spiced apples/ bulgar pilaf/ fresh green beans

Friday - B- ezekiel toast, one egg, skim milk, blueberries 1/2 banana

L- big salad with protein, baked oatmeal

D- camping trip food

alien-bear

Post by alien-bear » Tue May 20, 2008 12:07 am

Good day all around.
I wasn't thinking about food very much but I feel like I managed to eat healthy but filling stuff. It was sort of a relief to be back on N days.

I had the one egg on ezekiel toast with a berry banana smoothie as planned.

The chicken salad I made for lunch was with apples, red grapes, walnuts, real mayo and tarragon from my garden, I rolled it up in some high fiber flat bread, 5 hours later, not terribly hungry.

Dinner was an Eating Well, kid-friendly recipe, lean ground beef, about 4 cups of finely diced veggies, whole wheat pasta, sour cream and fresh herbs. Also, a green salad and selection of fresh fruit.

DH and I enjoyed a demi-tasse of espresso after dinner and now I am done with food for the day. Its a nice feeling.

I also did an hour of water aerobics and walked the dog for about 45 minutes (2 walks).

alien-bear

It's Tuesday

Post by alien-bear » Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 pm

I woke up hungry. I have stopped drinking coffee in the AM (3 days now) My reasoning is that as much as I love the taste, my stomach rebels against it, I used to be able to have 5 or 6 cups a day with no deleterious effects and now... 1 cup gives me GI issues (indelicate talk I know). So I have been doing tea, green tea and Irish breakfast, both with a drop of sugar and milk. I'm not having caffeine withdrawal problems, so the tea is working. And last night I had a tiny espresso after dinner, so perhaps full stomach helps.

Back to my point, I woke up hungry, consulted my meal plan and realized that I forgot to make my baked oatmeal. I mixed it up and tossed it into a pan, 45 minutes later, I was Reeeeeeeeally hungry.

So, 1/2 grapefruit, banana/ blueberry baked oatmeal and breakfast tea with milk. The baked oatmeal was very tasty.

Here is a recipe for the curious.

2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
1 TBS cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 eggs or 2/3 cup egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup blueberries

Combine dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients.
Add dry and wet ingredients together.
Pour batter into baking pan of your choice (loaf pan, muffin tin, etc.) sprayed with butter flavored
cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes
out clean.

Lunch is supposed to be Amy's brown rice bowl, but I may end up out for lunch, if so, grilled protein over large salad, no bread (I'm thinking grilled salmon over a house salad) and a cup of bean soup

Dinner is going to have little redeeming value - Its my last EVER school board meeting. My 4 year term is over tonight. We usually have pizza or fast food chinese delivered for the meeting. Sometimes there is salad and fruit as well. I'll just fill up a plate and do my best.

I have pilates in 30 minutes. I'll check in tonight to note my compliance.