Freckles' Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Freckles

Freckles' Check-In

Post by Freckles » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:49 pm

So I've been on the No-S diet since Wednesday. It's been less difficult to acclimatize than I thought it would be. My biggest bear is No Snacks. I do pretty good until I get home from work, or at, say 1:00am when I let the dog out and wait 20 minutes or so for him to do whatever it is he's doing. But the no Sweets and No Seconds has been very easy.

Except last night--Friday night--we went out to eat with a longtime friend whose grandmother had just died this week--and we went to a Chinese buffet. Oh, yes.

Now, I know I shouldn't substitute another day as a No-S day--so what do y'all do when you find yourself in this predicament?
"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self." Aristotle

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:23 pm

It depends on how strict you wanna be.

I choose to list it as a failure to comply with habit that day and move on from there. http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... &t=Workout There's a link to my own habitcal.

(Green means I complied with the habit, yellow means the day was exempt, and red means I failed).

Other people choose to do things differently, so you need to pick what works for you. My GOAL right now is to ingrain my eating habits as deeply as I ingrained the Glass Ceiling ones. Yeah, I'll lose weight doing it, but that's secondary to what I'm doing. I'm going for days on habit here.

Some people do choose to switch it around. It really depends. Have you checked out Reinhard's book, by the way. He explains the system well.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Freckles...

Ditto what Noel said...

The book is really helpful....if you haven't read it, we'd recommend getting it...it's like the texbook that goes with the plan.

Welcome to the forum Freckles...we're all here to support each other so come back often....you'll find a lot of encouragement here....

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...