Dana's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DLB66

Dana's Daily Check-In

Post by DLB66 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Hello - I'm re-starting No S, as of yesterday. I really loved it in the few months I was doing it...in fact, it's the only diet I've ever been able to stick with at all, ever. I lost weight, was feeling confident...and then a little self-sabotage snuck in there and I was more off the diet than on it. It's been like that for about a month and I'm not liking the results, physically or mentally. So, I'm motivated to get back on the plan. I thought it would help to do the daily check-in this time, and try to get to 21 days of success.

Yesterday was a [color=green]success[/color], and so-far so-good today.

Dana

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Would someone tell me how to change the font color? I highlighted it and chose green, but it just puts the code around it (see above).

Thanks!

ifya_1999

Post by ifya_1999 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:24 am

welcome dbl66. and i would help you out with the font color but i have the same problem too. :D
God Bless, Robin

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 am

Let me add my welcome. You'll love this board.

Sorry about the font color. I have tried since I joined last December on several different computers and I still get the same results as you. Maybe someone can help us out.

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 am

April 7th: Success.

Thanks for welcoming me! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with a color issue :) . (I don't think my emoticons work either!) I'm using a Mac...maybe that's relevant.

Back to the diet: A green light day, with a little funny stuff.

Bfast: Honey Bunches cereal
mid-morning: black coffee, and a lot of it
Lunch: pasta with leftover homemade tomato sauce, 2 granola bars
mid-afternoon: more coffee, half-can of diet coke
Dinner: more pasta, meatballs, salad, baguette

Exercise: 1 hour dancing - very strenuous

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 am

[color=green]Hi[/color]

"Disable BBCode in this post" is checked

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 am

Hi

"Disable BBCode in this post" is unchecked (See right below the data entry screen)

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am

April 8: [color=green]Success[/color]

Kathleen - I unchecked the disable box but it doesn't look like it's working. No big deal!

This is my fourth day of success in a row, which is great - I'm feeling more confident that I can do this. Big-time chocolate craving but I just put it off for a few minutes, and then one of my kids needed something, and I didn't think about it again. I guess being highly distractible can be a good thing.

Bfast: Oatmeal Squares (will try to have oatmeal and/or egg tomorrow - trying to get all of us off the expensive cereal thing)
Lunch: Leftover spaghetti and meatballs, salad, granola bar
Dinner: Crock-pot chicken thing w/black beans, corn, salsa, and spinach. Sweet-potato fries.
Plenty of coffee throughout day. Wonder why I'm not sleeping well?

No exercise.

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:29 pm

April 9: Success!

I was really craving chocolate last night, but again, was distracted and then the feeling passed.

Bfast: 4 pieces of cinnamon toast
Lunch: Leftover crockpot chicken, leftover chili. I had more than one plate, but I need to feel full to get to the next meal. I don't really worry about the no seconds rule, honestly, at least until I get established.
Dinner: Panera: - half artichoke sandwich, bowl of tomato soup, diet coke, bread

no exercise

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:52 pm

April 10th: Success

Made it through the first week! I'm so very happy to be at the weekend and able to eat what I want. Just in the nick of time.

Bfast: cereal
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: veggie pizza

exercise: paddleboating! (pretty strenuous)

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Sat/Sun: S Days

Great that Easter is on an S-Day. Didn't go too crazy...actually felt sick after eating some chocolate eggs (my favorite). Normally I wouldn't notice that sick feeling in my stomach.

Did eat several bowls of Ben and Jerrys, my standard S-Day treat.

Exercise: tried a yoga class Saturday morning. Loved it, plus it's very close to my house. I've been sore all weekend.

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:38 am

April 13th: Failure

I had a good day up until tonight - I just got a bad chocolate craving and gave into it. I do get more cravings on Mondays since I just spent the weekend eating sweets. I wonder if I should make only Saturday a day to have sweets. I don't know, it's always a challenge on Mondays though.

The good thing (in a way) is that I decided that if I'm going to have a failure, it might as well be something I really want, something worth it. Ice cream. So I made a special trip to the store and ate only that.

Bfast: cereal
Lunch: hard-boiled (Easter) eggs, 2 slices veggie pizza, fruit
Dinner: pasta with chickpeas, spinach, feta
Treat: ice cream

No exercise

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm

April 14: Success
April 15: Success

Powered through chocolate cravings and am pretty much in the groove. I'm eating big meals and will need to work on that - but going to just concentrate on the no snacks, no sweets part for now

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:17 pm

4/16: Success

I came sooooo close last night to having a late night snack - and it would NOT have been healthy food. I put it off, and sure enough the hunger faded a bit, and I was able to just power through until bedtime.

So glad I did that! Got on the scale and have lost 2.5 since Tuesday (3 days). That's really too fast, I know, but I was eating large, filling meals. I know I won't continue losing at this level, but it is so rewarding to see results.

Yea!

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Weekend: Exempt

Enjoyed 2 slices of husband's bday cake and plenty of ice cream. Guilt-free!

The only exercise I got was mulching the garden. Wanted to go to yoga, but no luck.

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 am

4/20: Success

Didn't struggle with chocolate cravings as much as the other Mondays.

No exercise, hopefully tonight.

DLB66

Post by DLB66 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Well, it wasn't a great week. I think I had 3 red or yellow days. The reasons: poor planning and stress. I feel a little better knowing that the slip-ups were minor. I never went into binge mode, even when I made four boxes of brownies for a fundraiser. I ate crumbs and licked the spoon, but that was it - and that's a big improvement for me.

So, will take it easy this weekend and restart next week. I'm not going to get all self-critical about it.