Just Starting

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kathyc6

Just Starting

Post by kathyc6 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:40 pm

This is officially Day 9 on the No S for me so I decided to start blogging on the site. I am really pleased with the entire concept of the plan, and am so happy to leave dieting behind. [Success] on 7 out of 8 days so far. My biggest concern is not overdoing it on S days.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu May 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Welcome and good luck!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Good luck!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm

You might overdo your S days at first, but then you'll adjust and it will get better. Welcome and good luck!
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kathyc6

The month of June

Post by kathyc6 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 am

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! Well, so far June has had 2 red days. The first was my daughters' birthdays (twins) so I figured it would be a yellow day. I just went way overboard. And today, I did well until the evening when we ate dinner out and I finished up with dessert. I still feel that this is a good plan, and I do not want this to become a confession forum for me to obsess about my eating habits. I believe the first few weeks will be getting used to the plan, rather than losing weight or having every day be a success. I do need to work on not going crazy on S days though - ideas are appreciated!!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 am

Yes, exactly! And remember...you can't fail on an S day (like your daughter's birthday) because they are exempt. :wink:

Keep going!

Mimi :D

kathyc6

Post by kathyc6 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:44 am

Success!!! Green has always been my favorite color!!!
Thank you for the encouragement Mimi - you are such a good cheerleader and I will bet you are a wonderful teacher!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 am

Thank you for your very kind words Kathy...I try to stay as positive as I can in all circumstances, but I'm not always successful...and I fully understand the struggles of being overweight. It's been a lifelong battle for me. However, now I've discovered the *battle plan* to end the struggle once and for all!

As far as teaching goes...I teach middle school seventh graders who are reading and writing two or more years below grade level, so staying positive is critical for me in order to be effective with my students. Fortunately, I have only 12 students in each class, but it takes all my energy to keep them motivated and eager to learn and improve. I find it to be a very rewarding way to make a living!

Keep up your good work!

Mimi :D