Shmena No-S check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

shmena

Shmena No-S check in

Post by shmena » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 am

I am 44 years old, 5'6", and 147#, and have been trying to get 10 pounds off for 10 years!
I go thru binge cycles, and exercise like crazy, and have been able to maintain for 10 years, but haven't lost any more because of bad habits.
I Love No-S! I know it is the plan for life, but I can't say I've been so good at it. I've still been binging on my S days, and I eat badly at times on N days for emotional reasons. So, I'm still struggling. But I am determined this time to get those new habits on a roll.
So I want to try this daily check in to see if I can get it going for the next 21 days.

Day 1 SUCCESS
Bkfst: Salmon patty, chopped salad, slice Ezekial toast
Lunch: I had a meeting for lunch, and am proud of myself for not eating too much, stopping when I was full, and not taking one bite of desert!
Sauted fish, vegetables, bit of rice, and fruit, and leftover chopped salad from bkfst.
Dinner: egg white omelet with zucchini, tomato, cheese, and wrap, and strawberries. I also had 1 tbs pb and a nectarine at 4:30. Technically it was a snack, but I am considering it OK because I ate a smaller meal two hours later because I was mostly full from that snack.

Exercise: 45 minute walk outside up steep hills

I am happy with today!
"Our doubts are traiters, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt"
William Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure"

shmena

Post by shmena » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:35 am

Day 2 SUCCESS

Today is Friday, and I have the nicest meal of the week on Friday night for Shabbat dinner. Friday nights are always a struggle. I LOVE Challah,
and tend to eat way too much of it.
But today, was OK, with just a tiny piece for taste. I am toying with the idea of starting my S days with Friday night to Sunday lunch. We'll see?

Bkfst: Oatmeal, berries, PB
Lunch: at Sipz Cafe. Shared soup, basil chicken, and BBQ chicken appetizer with my sons. didn't eat the fortune cookie. Took leftovers home. overall, not bad. One plate... no seconds
Dinner: Pea soup, orange chicken, cauliflower, 1/2 piece corn on cob, strawberries, and watermelon. I didn't eat it all on one plate, but I took no seconds, didn't binge on challah. Overall a marked improvement.
I am craving the icecream that the rest of the family is having in an hour, but I am going to hold out for Saturday, and have a scone tomorrown on my S day instead. I love scones more than ice cream.

Overall, pretty good day :)

Exercise: 42 minutes on Ex Bike, abs/shoulder wts
"Our doubts are traiters, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt"

shmena

Post by shmena » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Day 3 Saturday S Day But big SUCCESS

I stuck to the three meal concept. I saved up my S for a scone I had been craving at Rebecca's in the evening. The ironic thing was that it didn't taste that great. I ate only half!

I went Israeli dancing for 4 hours, ( prob 2.5 hours of actually dancing).
I ate a snack of peanuts and a nectarine half way thru and felt great!

B- one waffle, cottage cheese, frozen berries
L- bagel, creamcheese, lox, tomato, and onion....tasted devine!! I haven't eaten bagel and lox for a while, and I was really looking forward to it.
D- at Chopstix... Vegie Soba noodle bowl, I am proud of myself, because I ate only half, I ate via CAMP, really counted my bites, and stopped at about 30 bites... and I was full. I took half home. Also three pieces spicy tuny roll sushi.

I feel great because I didn't overdo it... and I feel like I did great even at a restaurant because I counted my bites... paid attention to my food, and didn't eat to overfull, even if there was left on my plate. If I can do this consistantly, I will be IN CONTROL of my portions, and my weight!!!

Went out at night to the Blues Club and danced somemore. When I came home I was really hungry so ate a peach.

It was a great S Day!

shmena

Post by shmena » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 am

Day 4

S Day

Didn't eat as bad as I have in the past, but I also felt like I could have eaten better.
Seems to start off better in the morning, and then towards afternoon, when I'm bored I eat and graze. But I skipped dinner, so maybe it equaled out. I'm glad to resume N days tomorrow.
B- cottage cheese, strawberries, and half a scone. ( was satisfied with half... that in itself is an accomplishment!)
L- leftover soba noodle soup from last night, and leftover rice, and shortbread cookie from Panera
D- grazing on PB puffins, granola, 1-2 TBS PB

Too much of that cereal gives me gas!! Remember!

shmena

Post by shmena » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:14 am

Day 5 SUCCESS

So glad to be back on N days.
B- Barley, yogurt, berries, walnuts- ate 2/3 of it. saved 1/3 for lunch
L- 1/2 bagel, hard boiled egg, salad with garbanzo beans, oil & vinegar dressing, two tsp marg, some pineapple, and honeydew, and leftover barley & berries
D- 1/2 bagel, turkey burger, salad, roasted potatoes ( 1/2 cup about), and watermelon

When I felt hungrey later in the evening had some tea... no food!
Yea.

EXERCISE: 42 min ex bike, weights chest/back

I'm going on vacation for a week to San Franciso. This will be a challenge.
I just want to stick to the NO-S concept. Three meals, no snacks, and try to count my bites ( 25-30) a meal, so I don't overdo it. The one plate concept is too much for me because I will overfill my plate and eat when i am past full. Counting the bites helps me appreciate when I am really full, and when it is good to stop. I am trying to develop this habit because it helps me focus on the food and really appreciate it.

shmena

Post by shmena » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:34 am

Back from vacation.
I had good days and really bad days on my vacation. I can't say I followed No-S, altho every morning I woke up with good intentions!
I pretty much stuck with the three meals a day, and ate a small breakfast, and lunch, but I did snack after dinner, and a few days had sweets. But, generally, I had better control than I ever have had. I didn't really binge. I shared meals with my husband, I would only eat one treat a day. And I walked miles a day, so overall I think my weight was stable. I haven't weighed myself, yet. I want to wait for a few days of strict No-S back on track and then I'll weigh myself.
Today I was back on track and it felt great!!
B-barley, frozen berries, yogurt... left 1/3 over for lunch
L- 2 cheese enchiladas, salmon, and leftover barley/yogurt
D- almond crusted tilapia, couscous, salad, nectarine
sn- at 5 pm had 1 tbs pb

So, I'm going to start my counting over again for my 21 days of No-S success.
Day 1 SUCCESS

shmena

Post by shmena » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:02 am

Day 2. SUCCESS

B- barley, cottage cheese, tomato- ate 2/3. stuck to my 25 bites
L- Couscous (1/2 cup), sausage patty, rest of bkfst, cucumber slices, 1/2 a vitatop, nectarine
D- falafel balls (4), chopped tomato/cukes, tsatsiki, strawberries

Exercise: 40 minutes exercise bike in the morning
2 hours of folk dancing at night

I am really hungry as I type this!!! It is 11 PM. But I am writing this, so I can stay on track, and then go to bed, instead of eating!!

Tomorrow is Friday. My S Day starts Friday night, so I can hold on! :D

shmena

Post by shmena » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:32 am

Day 3. SUCCESS
During the day was successful.
S day started Friday night. Had friends over for dinner, special dinner.
Ate only small bowl of soup, and one plate of food. But ate a lot of Challah with margarine. That is defintiely only an S day food.
Ate two slices cheesecake, and some icecream.
Over all enjoyed every bite of the S Day night..

Saturday. S day
Sunday Back to N day. Did well all day.

shmena

Post by shmena » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 am

Day 6.
B- barley, cottage cheese, fruit
L- Salad, 2 hard boiled eggs, couscous
D- PB noodles, salad, nectarine, grahm crackers.

Shouldn't have eaten the graham crackers... but I think TOM is nearby!
Back on track tomorrow.