MissAlecia's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MissAlecia

MissAlecia's Check-in

Post by MissAlecia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 am

This is actually Day 9 for me...I've been lurking for a while. :) I started a check-in/introduction last night but it seems to have disappeared...? Or maybe I didn't post correctly? I think I hit Preview instead of Submit. I dunno, but this time I will be (more) brief.

I only have 10-15 pounds to lose but wanted to stop the rollercoaster of binge-eating and guilt, and was starting to see additional weight creep on so that's why I'm glad I found No-S.

Top 3 Non-numeric diet/health/fitness goals (I had 5 last night but now I'm sleepy and can't think of them all, lol!):
1. Feel comfortable enough with my body to go out in public in a bikini and FINALLY learn to swim.
2. Have all my clothes fit without muffin-tops or having to suck it in.
3. Be able to run 6 miles in time for the Thanksgiving Day Race in my hometown of Cincinnati. (I can only run a few blocks now.) :oops:

In addition to no sweets, snacks, or seconds, I also save French fries and other fried potato foods--hash browns, potato chips, etc. for the weekend. They are my downfall!

Yesterday (Tuesday): SUCCESS I only want to run on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, so I walked briskly on a hilly route. Ate 3 meals, no snacks.

Today: SUCCESS! I woke up tired and later than I had been the past few days. At first I didn't want to run so I powerwalked just like I did yesterday. After scaling the "Torture Hill" in the park I go to, I was feeling pretty good. On the way home I started to get hungry because I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I told myself, "The faster I get home, the sooner I can EAT!" So needless to say, I ran/walked the rest of the way. :lol: Still didn't have b-fast until 10:30ish though! But that was okay, because I wasn't planning on lunch until 1 because I was meeting a friend. Had dinner (sushi, yum) at the usual time, 6:30. No snacks--not even at the movie theater later in the evening! :wink:

Can't wait until the weekend...
Last edited by MissAlecia on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 am

Welcome aboard MissAlecia. It sounds like you are off to a very good start with No S. I'm sure you will get a lot of support on here; people are always boosting each other. Also there is lots of information to read in the various forum sub-sections. Good luck.

MissAlecia

Post by MissAlecia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Bushranger! I feel so in control of my eating now--who knew it could be this simple? So far from what I've read everyone seems so supportive and full of good advice. I hope one day I can offer support to a newbie, and No-S won't be called No-S, it'll be simply "the way I eat." :)

MissAlecia

Post by MissAlecia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm

DAY 10!! Almost halfway to the "21 Club..."

Technically, I had a sweet, very early in the AM. My boyfriend and I drank a little margarita mix because we couldn't sleep. But I was very mindful of what I was doing, I only had a very small glass, and it didn't lead me to snack. So I say, "No Big Deal!" Though in general I know it's much better that I'm avoiding them, sweets have never been a huge problem for me.

Morning walk went well, but it got HOT early. I was a little mad at myself for choosing such a flat path (since today is a "walk day" and not a "run day") but I had to mix it up. I tend to overdo it when starting an exercise regimen anyway, and then I burn out and quit. So in retrospect, I'm glad I took it easier...and I got beauuutiful views of the Ohio River and the Cincinnati skyline. :)

On the way home, stopped at a cafe for a peanut-butter-and-banana sandwich--something I'd been craving for a couple days, mmm. Since before No-S, I haven't kept peanut butter in the house because it's like crack to me. Seriously, I could take a spoon and eat out of the jar as if it were ice cream. Now that I'm on No-S, could I control myself enough to keep PB in the cupboard? Hmm. Maybe that would be an interesting experiment, after Day 21. Or maybe 42. :D

I looked in the mirror this morning and could see my rib cage! Which is good and bad--I want to lose my pregnant-looking belly and thick thighs, but what if I lose so much weight on my upper torso that I'm completely flat-chested and look anorexic? Grrr But I'm glad to have a visual sign of progress, especially so soon.

I'll post the rest of my day later in the evening. Just had a lot to say this morning. :lol:

Have a SUCCESSFUL day, everyone!
--A

MissAlecia

Thursday night / Friday AM

Post by MissAlecia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Well, though yesterday was extremely rough, I can at least say that diet-wise it was a SUCCESS. :)

Had a big salad for lunch. Fought with my boyfriend the rest of the afternoon. :evil: I'll spare the details, but we may be breaking up. It's so weird how you can be fine in the morning and then have things fall apart by afternoon/evening.

Between lunch and dinner as I'm going back and forth with my BF, I wanted to eat SOOOOOO F*ING BAD!! It's definitely a coping mechanism for me, and the fact that I'd "only" had a salad for lunch didn't help. I wanted french fries, but easily managed to talk myself out of going to get them, and thankfully there's no junk food in the house. We don't have a "fruit shrine" exactly, but there are a bunch of bananas on the kitchen counter.

"But they're good for you! Take one!" the voice in my head told me. I had an internal struggle about eating a friggin banana for a good 20 minutes before I opted for a glass of plain soymilk instead. Calorie-wise it probably works out to being the same as the banana but I was still within the No-S rules.

I managed to make it to dinnertime, and went to a local vegetarian-friendly restaurant (I'm a vegan). They had this vegan coney thing advertised so I decided to try it. Ugghhh... It was a veggie-dog, split in half, atop a huge openfaced roll, piled with veg chili and, for some reason, a ton of mustard. It was way too much food and tasted just okay, but since it (and the side of roasted potatoes) fit on a normal-sized plate I ate it anyway. Wolfed it down, actually. After that, I was too full to even think about snacking after dinner!

Woke up late, still drained from all the fighting. Went for my walk, didn't even think about running today even though I was scheduled to do so... I was just too tired and hot. When I got back I wasn't hungry but it was 10:45 so I figured I should--I nuked some leftovers.

So now it's lunch-time and I'll be forcing myself to eat again... I don't even care about the weekend coming up anymore. I'm depressed and just want to get under the covers and go to sleep.

--A