wintry's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wintry

wintry's check in

Post by wintry » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for 21 days now, but I am so grateful for you guys for being my virtual support group that I thought I would come out and say hello.

I am a 31yo female, 5'5.5", and I started No S three weeks ago at my lifetime highest weight of 149 lbs. The BMI charts list that weight as only borderline overweight, but I have a small bone structure and have been starting to suffer from trouble breathing at night, waddling instead of walking comfortably, etc., so I knew that something had to change. My goal weight is 130lb. because for most of my life from puberty to my wedding day four years ago I weighed 128 lbs. +/= 2 lb. Anyway, thanks to No S I am now back down to the weight I was in May of this year (~144-145), which is about a quarter of the way to my goal. Thank you guys! I cannot tell you how empowering it feels to have found a diet that feels both achievable and effective.

I've been on a lot of diets in the past three years, but only been able to stick with two of them long enough to see any results at all - South Beach and this one. I liked how much better I felt without sugar while on South Beach, but it was impossible to maintain as a lifestyle. I'm optimistic about staying on No S, mainly because of its articulate and sensible presentation.

So far I've had one red day when I ate three slices of pizza for dinner. Also, I've been doing the following mods which I hope to grow out of:
1) I virtual plate when at home.
2) A lot of days I just can't take anything more than coffee for breakfast, and on those days I eat my "breakfast" between lunch and dinner.

I found No S via the Calorielab interview with Reinhard, and I must say, the high quality of the writing on the ES website is what gave the diet its credibility for me.

I am eager to join the 21 day club, hopefully in a couple weeks. I'm also trying to walk more. That's all I can think of for now - hopefully I'll be able to come back and post some more uplifting news soon :D

Thanks everyone! *waves*

wintry

Post by wintry » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:11 am

Celebrating the end of my second three weeks on the No S diet. I had a cookie on Friday evening, so I don't think I've yet hit three straight weeks of perfect compliance. My weight is currently in the 141-145 range, which feels like a plateau, but I'm gonna push through it!

UPDATE: 9/23 - hit 139 yesterday morning! Hooray!