blue Take five

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blue

blue Take five

Post by blue » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Starting again. I tried this awile ago and liked it but went off and of course gained . Who am I ? ---- 40 something housewife dog-lover, yoga/hiker
I like the idea of not counting calories. That makes me nuts and I'm not good at it. What I'm great at is walking. Most days I get 10000 steps.So I do have drive/willpower. I want to transfer this to food
The little voice that says "continue eating "needs to be softer and the little voice that says" it's enough your done " needs to be louder.
I want to be healthy. I also want to fit back into my clothes. I can't afford to buy new ones and sweats everyday makes me feel sad.
Just 10 pounds would make me happy. But what would make me even happier is to be proud of my self at the end of the day not stuffed.
Well here I go Day 1

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Welcome blue! I hope that you accomplish everything you outlined in your post by following NoS. It certainly is possible! NoS calms those voices in your head - in fact over time they become practically nonexistent. You will develop a peaceful relationship with eating and food, one that you probably have never had if you've been a chronic dieter.
Weight loss happens slowly - keep that it mind. We all want it off *yesterday* and can grow impatient. Stay with it and you will lose!
Good luck with your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

blue

Post by blue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:50 am

Thanks MIMI :D Today was ok not great. I'll take ok over bad.Car repairs was expensive but hope I stop sending so much cash on food to make up for it. Snacking all day is very expensive!!!!

blue

Post by blue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Yesterday ended as a failure but I'm moving on back to Day 1A i want to do 21 days as a goal.So hopefully will do it before Day 1 Z Hummmm. Weight up 2 pounds. As a present to my sanity I am not going on the scale for a week. Going to a good friends house to help her thru a tradgedy. Luckily she is a healthy eater so I can stay no-S more easily.I hope i can help her. Be back in 2 days.

blue

Post by blue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:16 pm

well 2 more failures. I did fine at her house but the drive back I was snacking and then permasnacking before i knew it. I'm not giving up!!!! Day 1B here i go again
Well now its 3 oclock I'm doing really well I put success already on my oct challenge for today. It would be hard to have to edit it so i'm trying a new approach. Thinking positive i can make it thru one whole day of no-S.
1040 pm Well today turned out to be a sucess Yeah me also 10000 steps too
Success
Last edited by blue on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

blue

Post by blue » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Yesterday was a double Success It was the first one in a long time. Today is Day 2B Very excited that is indeed possible for me. Wanted LOL to get on scale OH My!!! Didn't! I will go to once a week. Wednesdays.
...Just had Lunch today is a success so far. Again i put green on my oct challenge thinking positive for the rest of the day Yeah!!!!!
Success

blue

Post by blue » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Sday :D :lol: :wink:
I hope I have fun and do well on my first Legal S day in awile

Wll I did go a little nuts I had nuts, crackers, mangos,grappes, cupcake, cheese, more cheese, more nuts, , cheese....................No wine though

blue

Post by blue » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am

Second S day. I'm going less nuts today. I'm still burping from last night. It was nice to be out on a picnic with friends and only abstain from Wine.I'm a Sober Girl.
Breakfast over cleaning messy house. My food /weight gain seems to have reflected in quite a messy house Boo!!!!
i dont think I'll weigh myself wed. I'm enjoying not knowing. I used to going 1 or 2 times a day for 20 years so this is quite odd. In fact the only times I stopped weighing I lost weight. i think I get scared/excited when the number goes down a bit.and gain it back. I have my yearly dr visit coming up. I just hope I'm not alot bigger then last year. She seemed happy with my weight/health last year.Not too big/small.
I just want to fit in my clothes again. Thts the goal. I dont care what the stupid number is.

blue

Post by blue » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Success
I'm tired. Esy day at work but sat around alot!!!! Did not eat the extra free sandwiches. Did not eat the cookies. did not raid the machine. I rock!!!!!!!
People noticed I wasn't cramming my face. Anyway feel really proud

blue

Post by blue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Success Pretty good day

blue

Post by blue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Had a hard couple days . I was doing pretty good until i stepped on the scale on wed. Big mistake. What was sad was i felt good, pants felt ok but then on wed the scale dictated i was a failure. I want to not weigh myself for a month. I'm really scared too but I think I could lose or atleast get consistant green days.. THE NUMBER DOESN'T MATTER i am healthy just a bit larger then i like due to overeating. If i get n-days i willl not gain if i am truthful with myself and not go insane on sdays.So no more weighing myelf until november12

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 pm

Not weighing yourself is a good plan.

I'm sure your know this, but your weight can vary. Mine can go up two pounds from morning until evening, and sometimes overnight. Don't be a slave to that scale. It matters more from month to month than it does from week to week, so you've got the right idea.
blue wrote:Had a hard couple days . I was doing pretty good until i stepped on the scale on wed. Big mistake. What was sad was i felt good, pants felt ok but then on wed the scale dictated i was a failure. I want to not weigh myself for a month. I'm really scared too but I think I could lose or atleast get consistant green days.. THE NUMBER DOESN'T MATTER i am healthy just a bit larger then i like due to overeating. If i get n-days i willl not gain if i am truthful with myself and not go insane on sdays.So no more weighing myelf until november12
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

blue

Post by blue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks Kevin, thats what is so sad I may have been up because of salt or whatever and The number bugged me. Silly. I went 2 months once without weighing about 20 years ago it was great but then the scale demon came back. I'm done. The doctor will weigh me next month but other then that No one cares about the number so why should i.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 pm

I have felt kinda low all day. Not all depressed or anything - just not cheerful and positive like I usually am. I think it's from weighing up a pound this morning.

I've got to find a way to deal with the scale that works for me, too.

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:24 pm

I do weigh everyday, or maybe every other day--but I only make note of it once in a while. I used to keep a rolling ten day average (google will do this, though I did it by hand), but now I can't be bothered.
Sure, I like to see a new low number when I do weigh, but I don't freak if it goes the other way. Just as I see calorie counting is not necessary on No S, though one certainly can keep track, I see the scale as unnecessary. But just as I like to look at the thermometer out my window now and then, I look at my weight on the scale. I guess I've just never been obsessed by what it says.
"If you don''t like how things are, change it! You are not a tree!" Jim Rohn