Emma's Daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hsmomof6

Emma's Daily check in

Post by hsmomof6 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Just starting out! I read the No S diet book and what sold me was the comments about repairing your relationship with food. I weighed myself this morning and I'll weigh again in 21 days. (202 lbs staring weight)

I have to tell anyone who reads this that I became a member of 3 Fat Chicks boards. I had been doing Weight Watchers and have lost 16 pounds since January. But am soooo burned out on counting, etc. I mentioned this diet and all of the responses were negative. Everyone thought that not snacking was going to lead to binge eating on the S days. I disagree - but we will see! :lol:

blueangel

Post by blueangel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Welcome!

I am also trying to find peace with food.
Start weight 139
Goal weight 122

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Well, if someone is used to dieting, counting and snacking, yes, three meals a day is going to feel pretty scary to them. We've been bombarded with some contrary information to this for many years.

It's okay. Forgive them this. They don't know better.

For what it's worth, No-S is sustainable and liveable. You won't lose fast, you really won't. But it will come off very gradually and it'll STAY off because you're changing habit rather than doing a temporary fix.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

hsmomof6

Day 1 - Thursday, March 25th

Post by hsmomof6 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am

SUCCESS

Between lunch and dinner is a tough time for me. So, I added some protein powder to a glass of milk. That kept me very satisfied until dinner. I got pretty jazzed thinking about all of my old recipies I could begin to make again. I love the America Cooks book. It's old - from the early 60s (almost as old as me!). I also love ethnic cooking - Indian, French, Italian, Chinese. It's hard to believe I will actually get to cook these things again. On WW, I was eating "food products" - almost no fat, tons of fiber :oops: , and artificial sugar.
Last edited by hsmomof6 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

hsmomof6

Day 2 - Friday, March 26th

Post by hsmomof6 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:26 am

SUCCESS

I realized today that I'm going to have to rethink my afternoon coffee. I had a nice strong cup of coffee this afternoon like I usually do. But coffee on an empty stomach is not the same as coffe with a meal or large snack. If I'm not going to be snacking in the afternoon then I am not going to drink a cup of coffee on an empty stomach. It made me feel very jittery. Not a good feeling at all! :shock:

hsmomof6

Day 3 - Saturday, March 27th

Post by hsmomof6 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

SUCCESS

It's an S day - How could it not be a success?

hsmomof6

Day 4 - Sunday, March 28th

Post by hsmomof6 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am

SUCCESS

hsmomof6

Monday, March 29th

Post by hsmomof6 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 am

FAIL

Things started to come apart shortly after lunch and ended at 7:30 pm with me at Village Inn eating pie. AND who should be there but two table of people I recognized from the WW meetings!

hsmomof6

Tuesday, March 30

Post by hsmomof6 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:04 am

ALMOST

Again, the morning was perfect. Midafternoon, had some low fat ice cream. That was kind of binge type behavior. But the only think I ate for the rest of the day was a some french fries that I shared with the kids at the ball park. I didn't get my own and a soda and didn't eat anything when I got home. That is progress! Also, I weighed myself and am getting close to Onederland!!!

hsmomof6

Wednesday, March 31st

Post by hsmomof6 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 am

SUCCESS

OK I did have sweet today but I am calling this a success. Why? I'm not eating seconds but most of all because I am not snacking. That is a huge difference for me. Previously when I had tracked calories or points, I would consume 1/3 to 1/2 of my daily calories in snacks. I am careful with the sweets but a nice cool popcicle after dinner is great and does not blow the whole day for me. It is better for me to conquer one habit at a time rather than make this overwhelming and give up.

So, I guess my adjustment is that I'm going to allow popcicles on N days!

hsmomof6

Day 2 - April 1st

Post by hsmomof6 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 am

SUCCESS

Very successful! No seconds, or snacks or sweets (except my one popcicle). In fact on the way home today my son and I went through the McDonald's drive thru. I ordered a regular coffee with cream. He ordered a Frappe and large fries. I didn't even realize until a few minutes ago. I didn't eat any of the fries. I wasn't tempted at all. I didn't even consider it. That's amazing! I wasn't gritting my teeth and resisting temptation. I wasn't even tempted!!!! :shock:

hsmomof6

Day 3 - April 2nd

Post by hsmomof6 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 am

SUCCESS

An easy day since it's Good Friday - I can't eat anyway!

hsmomof6

Day 4 - April 3rd Saturday

Post by hsmomof6 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm

SUCCESS

hsmomof6

Day 5 - April 4th Sunday

Post by hsmomof6 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:32 pm

SUCCESS

Easter Sunday - Took full advantage of this S day!!!