Joan's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JoanE

Joan's daily check-in

Post by JoanE » Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi - I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am a 54, 5'4", 145 lbs. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs and be able to hike and be more active. I have had a number of injuries, so have some limitations on activities, but know I could be doing a lot more. Based on research that I have read on-line, I think it's important to stay at a normal weight and exercise an hour every day. Basically, being overweight (BMI >= 25, which is where I have been for a few years) leads to further weight gain and higher risks of major diseases. Since there is heart disease, Alzheimer's and diabetes in my family, I need to exercise and lose some weight to increase my chances of enjoying my retirement and being around for my daughter (who is now 17).
In order to reduce risk of disease and keep the weight off, it really is necessary to exercise 60 minutes every day. I used to think exercising a lot was kind of vain, and 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week was all you really needed. Wrong. I am now (starting about a month ago) taking the attitude that exercise is as important for our health as eating and sleeping.
I have set a goal to climb Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) with my neice and daughter this summer (may have to take the railroad down, but that's okay). Even if I don't get to do this, it's still worth working towards - a great motivator during workouts.

Anyway, my work has a program that is like "The Biggest Loser", where we have a team competition. Last year I lost 8 pounds, but gained most of it back. I am back in the program this year. I want to keep it off this time! Since snacking is my biggest downfall, and I firmly believe in avoiding sugar, this diet plan seems like a good one. Also I have found that using a tracking tool does help me stick to my plans, so here I am.

I started this 2 days ago. I am still learning the details. On Monday I did sample my daughter's ice cream, but Tuesday was completely good. I plan to try to follow this on the S days with very minimal exceptions, such as when doing a long hike, or a special occasion.

Thank you for sharing my journey!
P.S. I discovered the No S diet on Charlotte Hilton's very funny and compelling blog "The Great Fitness Experiment".

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 pm

welcome to our little group. I read that entry on Charlotte's blog also and actually posted a comment, which I've never done. I hope this works well for you. Sounds like you off to a great start.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

JoanE

Post by JoanE » Thu May 06, 2010 11:59 am

Yesterday was good - ate an early dinner, but did not have a problem with hunger later.

JoanE

Post by JoanE » Fri May 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Yesterday good. today I am "stretching" it a bit - will be driving to NH after work, so spread out my breakfast a bit, will try to eat lunch late.

JoanE

Post by JoanE » Mon May 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Friday - had a beer with dinner, then wine later, so this was a fail. The weekend was not great - think I need to do better on the weekend. Educational though, in that it was pretty normal eating for me, but I could see how I end up gaining weight through those habits.