MJN Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mjn

MJN Daily Check In

Post by mjn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:35 pm

I will try this and see if checking in is freeing or feels like weight watcher's.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:12 am

Welcome to no-s! Posting is strictly optional; if it helps, do it, but if it feels like a straitjacket, the don't. No-S is all about freedom and self-determination! But the people here are very supportive and helpful, though.

mjn

Post by mjn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks for your support. I did fairly well today. Ate at a buffet and didn't overdue it. Popcorn is a killer for me. Had too much today.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:14 pm

Didn't check in last night, but I had a good day. Worse time for me is when I get home from work. i am always starving!!! Have to quit picking while I am making supper. A handful of raisins helps. I have only lost a pound in about 3 weeks of this, but that is okay.I am in it for the long run. It is the way to eat. Before I found this sight, I kept asking myself, How did I eat back in the 70's??, before I worried about my weight and wasn't having weight issues?? This sight, and the boook have been a blessing. Today I weighed 159.5. I am going to try to not weigh again until May 1st.

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 am

Had a great day! Walked 2 miles tonight and a mile during the day at lunch. Found out that I am pre-diabetic so this is a great plan for me. Ate my 3 meals, maybe a little more than usual because we ate Chinese at a restaraunt tonight, but split the entree.

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Doing fine today. Kashi Heart to heart for breakfast, sandwich and apple at lunch, pork cutlet and veggies for supper is the plan. Lots of sweets at work today, but didn't eat any, wow! Walked 2 miles today.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi MJN. I love to check in on the newbies, being that I am an old timer of a whole 2 months now :lol: I see my old self in your comments and how far I have come in just these 2 months. Makes me look forward to what down the road is going to be like.

I agree about not wanting this to feel too much like Weight Watchers. Don't you love the commercials "Diets don't work, Weight Watchers does" Like it's not a diet - OK, if not a diet, how about we use the word prison! That's what is was for me. Sure I lost weight, but at the cost of what little sanity I had left. You may find that you do need to check in only periodically, other wise it becomes too chore like. I come and go in spurts. I work from home, so I am alone and instead of gossiping by the water cooler with co-workers, I come here and see what my No-S buds are up to. This plan can't work if you make it complicated, so if coming here complicates things, then pull back for awhile - just keep up with the plan!

As for "starving" when you get home and start dinner - me too, plus late night munchie attack. Funny thing though, once I really got going on this I ceased to be "starving", which I'd say just proves that I wasn't starving so much as I was under the spell of a bad habit. Of course you will get hungry before a meal, but that is healthy and good, starving means you need to boost your lunch a bit, or change what you are eating to something that stays with you longer - these are the things you play around with as you go. Just remember if you stick with this it get easier, what plan can say that?

Good luck!
Dawn

mjn

Post by mjn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks Dawn, I feel like Weight Watchers was a prison too. I felt like all I did was keep track of points!!! This is so freeing and I like your suggestion to check in once in awhile. I didn't do as great yesterday. My evening meal was not a sit down one plate meal. I also ate some Doritos and I tried to eat some Cheese Pringles but they tasted like a chemical plant!! Yuck, they didn't taste the same to me!!! They didn't taste like food. My husband said they tasted fine. Who knows???

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm

MJN, I did learn from WW and now know a lot of great foods that are high in fiber and low in calories, and I continue to eat a lot of those foods to this day. Just remember the stricter you adhere to this plan the sooner that autopilot button inside you gets flipped to the on position. As for the Doritos: I have 3 teenage sons so foods like Doritos can call my name. So I take a handful, baggie them up and include them in my next meal. 1/2 sandwich, orange and a little baggie of Doritos - yum! Satisfying and best of all NO GUILT! The guilt of what I was purposely doing my own body was killing me, and that is one of the best parts of this diet.

My main thing is that I don't want to lose weight on another "diet", because it always comes back. I want to lose it by eating right and exercising - but in a way that I can really do everyday for the rest of my life. Imagine knowing you are eating healthy, staying trim and it's all a no brainer. That is what I believe this plan will do for me.

S days are hard for me, and today I am trying a new plan. Check out my post "Better S day Challenge" for results on Monday.

Have a great weekend!
Dawn

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks Dawn, you are an inspiration. I am not really having troubles with my S days. I pretty much am sticking to my three meals and something special each day. I love popcorn and I used to eat it almost everyday. That makes it a snack for me, so on my S days, I eat popcorn for one of my meals. I can eat a big bowl by myself. I have airpopped but then I add real butter, oh, well, it is yummy. I have also been trying to walk 5 miles a day. I love to walk and so far so good. I hope this week goes well for everyone who is Nosing.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:03 pm

MJN, sounds like you should do great. Just a matter of really sticking to it and in no time it will be a habit.

I did good with my S days this weekend. Funny thing is I still feel guilty today. I think I am so used to not having treats that I am having trouble giving myself permission to do so. I feel like I "cheated" and I didn't .
Dawn

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 am

Dawn, I know what you mean about cheating. I think it is how we have grown up and all the guilt we feel about food. That's why I am just eating one sweet or one snack on my S days and that helps my outlook. Moderation is important. I had a great day today and I am trying to walk 5 miles a day, too. So far so good. You are an inspiration and you just have to not be so hard on yourself. You can do it and are doing it.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:56 am

MJN, I am not sure about this word "moderation" you use. I will have to look it up in the dictionary :lol:
Dawn

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:11 pm

Rainy today, only got 2miles in so far. Ate fine today, but hungrier than usual. Enjoying my food!!

mjn

Post by mjn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:12 pm

I can't believe I walked in the rain yesterday!!! I am really motivated to walk right now. I hope I keep it up. I have already got 12000 steps in today. I have had a good N day, too. There were cupcakes at work today that looked so gross with the tons of frosting on them. yuck

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:41 pm

The rain stopped long enough so I could get my 5 miles in yesterday, but today it is rainy and windy. Only got in 2.5. Oh well, I have been seeing some weight loss. 3 lbs so far!! Can't seem to quit weighing myself daily. Maybe I should hide the scale, who am I kidding. My N days this week are great. Hope to keep it that way. You need to learn the habit before tweaking anything.

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Had a great week and weekend. Walking along with NoS has really worked. I have walked 57 miles in the past 2 weeks. Trying to get in the 5 miles a day sometimes can be tricky. My eating patterns are changing. Finding I am picky about what goes into my mouth!! I haven't finished what is on my plate for about 2weeks. Find that if the bread is too dry on my sandwich, for example, I won't eat parts of it. Only want the good parts.

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 am

I weighed 156.5 this morning. This plan is working along with all of the walking! I walked 6.5 miles today! Wow, I can't believe that I am walking like that. My hunger has been under control too.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 am

I am still doing great! No big set backs. The weight isn't coming off as quickly as I want, but that is okay. I know I am doing what I should be. Got down to 155 for a couple of days and now am back up to 157 for some reason and it's bugging me. I have been walking for sure 10000 steps a day and more. Will keep going. I have alot to be thankful for.

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri May 09, 2008 1:38 am

I am at 154 lbs now and I think I am on my way with the habit. I am still walking and have bumped it up from trying to get in 10,000 steps to 12,000.

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, I am down to 152!! I am still walking and feeling great. I am walking over 12,000 steps a day usually. i am on my way.

rose

Post by rose » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:17 pm

mjn, it looks like you're doing great!
Congratulations on your food and exercise habits!
Congratulations about the weight loss!
So, do you find NoS anything at all like WW? ;)
(refering to your 1st post)
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

mjn

Post by mjn » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Rose, I don't find this at all like weight watchers. It is freeing instead of restrictive. No comparison to it at all. I don't check in that often and that is freeing too. I wish you the best too.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 pm

I need to post for awhile to get back on track. Still walking more than ever and enjoying it, but finding I am slipping on the NoS a bit. Ate my soy sausage, slice of cheese, banana and cup of low fat milk this morning. Banana, string cheese and granola for lunch.

mjn

Post by mjn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Wow, I am having a hard time with staying on NoS. I signed up for WW again for one month, and I quit after a week, no not even one week!!! I know this is the way for me, I just need to get back on track. I weighed myself yesterday and was still in the 150's so that is still good. I am still walking alot, sometimes 7 to 8 miles a day, usually around 5-6 though. I need to get tough here. This is the only way to eat.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, today's an S day, so you're all good.

Where are you finding the difficulty lies?

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 pm

I think I just slack off and then I keep slacking!!! I also need to eat three meals and not be skimpy with them. I think that I get too hungry and then I go crazy with the overeating and give up. Weight Watchers was definitely not the way. I lasted 3 days. I know that this is the best and healthiest way to eat. So far my day today has been great and I haven't had any problems. Boredom is my worse enemy and I have kept very busy today when I felt like eating outside the rules.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 am

Hi MJN :)
Thanks for checkin on me! I saw your thread here the other day and the mention of your walking and the fact that you were from Iowa, so I couldn't figure out why I didn't remember your name here.
Have you changed it?
I was so sick for so long that I totally stopped walking for that time.
I tried to walk a few days ago and couldn't go further than three blocks before I was uncomfortable.
Now it will really be challenging to restart as it's going into the thirties here and I am usually very bad about getting out during Winter.
But I have to say I'm not happy about this and I will definitely make an effort to at least walk one or two miles on days when it's not raining.
I will just bundle up!
I really missed the exercise when I was sick and it depressed me so badly that I had gone from doing so great with walking to doing nothing at all :oops:
I really appreciate you coming over to say hi, cos it reminded me of just getting back to walking and soon!
Forecast here is for cold snow showers tomorrow, so I don't *think* I will walk then. But if it is clear I'll get out there.
Much Love to you and keep finding things to do to keep from being bored!
Hope you continue to have good days on NoS!
8) Debs xx
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 pm

I lost 2 lbs so far and I am enjoying not being so full all the time and waiting for my meals. What a blessing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:07 pm

wOOOOt!!!!
Nice one :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:30 pm

So far so good. I am working on getting the habit going and then the amounts on my plate. I know I have been filling my plates really full and I also know that it is not going to allow me to lose weight. I will work on habit though and then start cutting down on portions.

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 pm

I have actually had a better winter so far, than last. I still need to get on track with NoS.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow, I have really gained!!!!!!!!! I am up to 164 lbs. again. I need to get my thinking straight.

mjn

I am back once again!!

Post by mjn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 am

Starting over at 167.5 lbs! Good night Marie!! When will I learn!!??

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Down to 164 and walking 10000 steps a day. Wow, it feels good.

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Weighed 162.5 this morning. I am so thrilled to be back on NoS.

mjn

Post by mjn » Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Wow, I am stunned!! I have lost 11 lbs!! I have been doing the Vanilla No S and absolutely no snacking. I have loved it. And of course walking 10,000 or more steps daily.

mjn

Post by mjn » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Weighed 155.5 this morning.
Wow!

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu May 13, 2010 11:31 pm

weighed 154.5 this morning!!!

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Still at 154.5. I am changing my ways finally!! I feel so much better eating this way.

mjn

Post by mjn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:57 am

153.8 this morning and that is after vacation!!! Wow

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 am

154 this morning!! I feel great. My goal is 145 lbs.

mjn

Post by mjn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Weighed 154 this morning. Why do I always hit 3 months and start going backwards?? I feel that I am slipping and not sticking to vanilla NoS!! I have to stop it right now or I will revert back. I want to reach 145 and maintain. Keep going and don't give in!!

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 am

153.4 this morning!

mjn

Post by mjn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 am

Wow, I am up to 157!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go back to Vanilla NoS and start again. Why do I do this to myself??

mjn

Starting over! gulp, again!

Post by mjn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Back again, it's been along time. I have learned once again that NoS is the only way to go. When will I learn? and why do I quit? Not sure yet, but I am back at it again. It feels so good to be back. I am way up to 169 lbs. I have a ways to go, but I feel good about it. I am still walking though. I have been good about keeping up that.

mjn

Post by mjn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 pm

I am doing the 21 day challenge. First week down 2 lbs. I keep coming back to NoS! Thank you Reinhard!