Batty's check in status-

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

batty

Batty's check in status-

Post by batty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello.

This is officially day one of the no S diet for me. I'm so fed up I'm beginning on an S day.

I know it isn't recommended to stick to no S eating on S days, but I'm motivated to begin right now.

So for today

This morning I plan to eat a bowl of Rice Chex with sliced banana. The bananas are big, so to avoid Stuffing my cereal bowl, I'll use only half of the banana and put the other half in the freezer for some other purpose later on.

Here we go: I'd like to see 30 pounds go, and I'll gladly give up calorie counting and point tracking!!!!

batty

Post by batty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 pm

I hope by writing all this down for a while I can see if I do something Stupid.

Or if anyone else should notice my doing something stupid, they can tell me before I blindly make a go for it.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Batty - welcome to no-S. I know you're desperate to get started, but if you start today as a no-S day then you're committing to 7 days before you get another S day. I would enjoy these 2 days - eat as you normally eat and reflect on how you feel when you eat like this. You will then be more than ready to start on Monday and will only have 5 days before your next S day.

No-S is not a race - it's a way of eating for life and S days are an important part of the plan. I know how you feel about calorie counting and point tracking and wish you all the best. I look forward to reading your check-ins.

batty

Post by batty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome and encouraging advice!

I think I need to get started now, though! I hope I can be an exception to the rule and get through until next Saturday, because I am so fed up (no pun intended, but true in all ways!) I just have to feel I'm getting myself finally committed to something that I can do. I hope I'm not setting myself up for failure, but I feel like I can succeed if I start right now. I sure hope so.

I plan to eat leftover steak, cut into stir-fry for lunch. I'll cut the steak into strips and the two of us will eat one steak, cut up into a stir-fry of veggies and soy sauce. I think I'll leave the rice out because it's very hot, were pressured for time, and I'm lazy!

Supper will be a challenge. We have to rush off to a wedding two hours away, leave early (so there won't be a lot of temptation with foods there, we don't have time to hang around after the wedding), then get back here to attend a sports event, which we'll be late for by that time. Why does everything always happen on the same day for us?

My big problem will be finding something to eat somehow in between the wedding trip and getting to the sports event. I don't know what kinds of fast food joints will be available on the way, and I want to just be able to make a filling, sensible choice. Wish me luck!

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:44 pm

welcome. Glad to have you a part of our forum.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

batty

Post by batty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:49 pm

thanks.

So far it's good to be here, while cooking lunch, I almost grabbed bites of the steack while cutting it for our stir-fry, and then I remembered what I had posted on this board.

I think so far it's kept me from cheating! The steak goes with the stir fry, not with the cooking!

and now, time to enjoy that stir-fry, and not know or worry about how many points, calories, carbs or whatever is in there!!!!

batty

Post by batty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I made it through a busy day yesterday!

Got my green mark on my noS Habitcal, one green mark and a ton more to go.

Today I ate my bowl of cereal and so far I feel like I am starving to death. Greatly anticipating lunch, and I hope that will make me feel better.

Get through today, and then tomorrow starts the real, official No S week for me. I know I started at a bad time, but I just have to feel like I AM started on doing something.

I'll be planning out my treats for next Saturday, all week long!

Today might be hard to get through, because I'm pretty hungry. I'm posting on this board so that I feel publicly watched in my efforts to succeed. So, there it is: I'm hungry, I'm motivated, and I'm telling everybody about it!

blue

Post by blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 am

wellcome :lol:
Im resarting so kind of new too. Good luck, stick with it when i do im sane ansd at a healthy weight

batty

Post by batty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks, everybody!

Well I started this on Saturday, in spite of some advice here, then on Sunday screwed up totally. We had unexpected guests, it was very hot, the ice cream tasted very good, the cokes were good, the chips were good, etc. I'm not counting it as failure on my Habitcal, because failure is just not really an option for me until I have a little time under my belt. So I put a yellow day for Sunday, supposed to be an S day anyway.

This is already Tuesday, and Monday was so busy and went by so fast, yet, I did stick with no snacks, no sweets, no seconds and got another green day on record. YAY!!!!

Let's see how today goes. I had strawberries, bananas and toast with jelly for breakfast: I'm not counting the jelly as a sweet because it wasn't for any kind of sugar high or as a dessert, just the only thing I had to put on my toast.

For lunch I'll meet with someone at a Japanese restaurant and I already know which stir-fry I want (the cheapest one!!!!), so that's covered.

Not sure what we'll have for supper yet, but it probably won't be a very big deal, as we're both in meetings for lunch and probably won't want a big supper.

Hoping for another green day to chalk up!

Good luck, everybody!

batty

been pretty busy screwing up

Post by batty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am

Hi,

Well I've been keeping pretty busy screwing up. I got so frustrated I started counting calories and trying to just do whatever to get control again, and realized why calorie counting just doesn't work.

Now I'm back to trying again: Nos again starting today!

I sure hope I can get control this time.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi batty,
Glad to see you are back. Don't think of your first time as a failure. Some where on the site it says that it takes most people 12 times to change their habits, which should make you feel like you're doing pretty good. I think that the minority of people can change to No S habits the first time with no problems. If you keep trying you'll get it sooner or later. It also sounds like patience is challenging for you. I know it was for me when I started. I think the best thing to do-even though its harder than it sounds-is to focus on behavior and forget about results. And by that I mean: DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF! Hide your scale, give it to a friend, post a note on it with a date 1 month from now when you give yourself permission to weigh yourself. I know this will be hard if you're a scale addict but it really helped me. At the beginning of changing my eating patterns I always feel like I should lose weight immediately, but that is unrealistic and I think not seeing immediate results on the scale can lead to failure.

Just my two cents.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

batty

Post by batty » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I just wanna start seeing success, in one way or another! Gotta take it slow and easy.

Yesterday I made it... today I will try again!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:59 pm

ShannahR is right - try to see success in terms of getting the habits right. You could use the habitcal to track your green days, or join the July challenge. Some of us find that the accountability of posting on the boards is very useful. I like checking-in daily because I get so much encouragement and some really useful advice. And take it steady - there's no rush. This is a long-term way of eating - not a quick diet.
Keep posting :D