Machelle's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

machelle

Machelle's Daily Check In

Post by machelle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Ok, so I am pretty new to this whole thing. I really need to stay accountable though, so here is my very first check in. I have done both Weight Watchers and the every other day diet and have lost around 15 pounds, but kept falling off the wagon due to deprivation which led me to a bit of a binge. When I found out about No S, I was so happy I could actually eat three meals a day, so feeling deprived is not anywhere close to how I feel on this...just a welcome relief and a feeling of satisfaction. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure out what I will eat every day rather than trying to figure out how I am NOT going to eat.

Definitely need to start incorporating exercise. I have some Leslie Sansone walking dvd's and may start doing those.

I just started this on Tuesday of this last week, so I haven't even done a whole week of No S yet. Actually, I only did 3 days of true No S, so I am looking forward to doing an entire week. It is tempting to make Monday a no s day even though it is a holiday and I can officially do this, but not sure yet.

I am worried about the initial weight gain. Hopefully, very soon, everything will even out and my body will realize that I am actually going to feed it like a normal person...3 meals a day. :wink:
8/31/10 Start.
Starting weight: 134.5
Current weight: 132.5
~~ Goal: 115 ~~

machelle

Post by machelle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:30 am

Yesterday was an S day of course. I ate a big bowl of ice cream and had a few beers. Felt just awful. Forgot to mention that Friday night I went out to Olive Garden for dinner with a friend...ate wayyy too much and felt awful then too. Sooooo...lesson is being learned quickly to tone down the eating/drinking on S days. I'm counting Friday as an S day, because it was just over the top.

Today I am planning on having a moderate breakfast and then later, fire up the grill and have a burger. I think the remainder of my weekend will be toned down a whole lot. I want to feel good and not miserable from overindulgence.

I have decided that I am going to Lowe's and get a sledgehammer and do 15 minutes a day with it. I love it that I don't have to carve out a huge chunk of time to get in shape. I can definitely do 15 minutes a day without a problem! Pretty excited about starting this. I'm interested to see the impact on my body this will have. Never swung a sledgehammer around before....

***Edited to add***

Went to Lowe's and got the sledgehammer. I actually did 30 minutes of walking this morning. It was wonderful! Will start SG tomorrow! :D
8/31/10 Start.

machelle

Post by machelle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Today I just feel great! I did another 30 minute walk with my 16 year old daughter!! I loved it! We had a nice talk and got some exercise in besides! I'm so happy she decided to join me. She even said that she felt a little sore from our walk, and she is always walking around the malls and other places, but I told her it's not the same as continuous walking (with a purpose). I am going to be walking for a very long time. It's wonderful to breathe the fresh air, hear the birds chirping, and even passing a few walkers on the way. We have a great little bike path where I live, and it is very pleasant.

Did SG for the first time today for 14 minutes...what a killer! I did not anticipate it being that difficult. I was sweating by the end of it. I can tell that combining SG and walking is going to make a lot of difference in my overall fitness level. I've been pretty sedentary for a long while.

Yesterday was an S day, but I kept it pretty tame. Didn't go to bed feeling bad at all. Woke up feeling good. Throwing some chicken breasts on the grill today for lunch and will have plenty extra to carry me over for lunches next week. Nothing better than left over grilled chicken. 8)
8/31/10 Start.

machelle

Post by machelle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 pm

So I have been consistently walking at least 30 minutes a day and shovelgloving. I can already see changes happening with my body! I have also been following No S perfectly. So far so good. I am still a little sore from all the walking and SG, but it's a good sore. I've also already dropped a couple pounds! Yeah!
8/31/10 Start.

machelle

Post by machelle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:25 am

Ugh...today was not a good day. I stuck with No S, but didn't do my walking or SG. I really don't like fail days!! :(
8/31/10 Start.

machelle

Post by machelle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Got right back in there and did my urban ranger thing and SG. Good No S day....even though its FRIDAY!! Fridays can sometimes be a bad thing for the waistline, but today was a good one. I didn't beat myself up too much about yesterday. I know I will have times that I just won't adhere to everything, but I like to try the best I can.
8/31/10 Start.

machelle

Post by machelle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Went for a nice long walk this morning. It was *wonderful*. The weather is beautiful right now. Went for 60 minutes today. This is the longest walk I have done, so I am pooped. Good start to an S day anyway. Motivates me to get other things done today too.

*edited to add*

Wow, that walk absolutely motivated me! I got so much done today! Way more than I thought I would. My kitchen is all organized....a MAJOR undertaking that I have been dreading for a long time. Had a fast food burger and a few fries, but it's all good. 8)
8/31/10 Start.