mkat's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mkat

mkat's check-in

Post by mkat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:54 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to the No-S program but I've decided to try it out for at least three weeks. Despite a summer of hard labor, I still have clothes that I can't squeeze into, so I'm looking to lose about 7 pounds (not necessarily in the three weeks), going from 172 to 165.

Today was my first N day: SUCCESS! I tried to eat really big meals so I wouldn't be hungry; it kind of worked but I still thought about snacks a lot.

B: 2 eggs fried, roasted cauliflower and broccoli with garlic, piece of toasted baguette with butter, glass of soy milk.
L: 1 cup macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli, apple
D: lentil soup and brown rice, multigrain crackers with pecorino cheese
Exercise: morning yoga (10 minutes) and a short walk in the park

AnneK

Post by AnneK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 am

Hola Mkat, and welcome!

I'm on day 16 and really enjoying No S. I found the snack cravings went away after a week or so.

I hope you do well and enjoy it!
5'7"
Starting weight Oct 16 2010: 156
Current weight Nov 13 2010: 153

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 am

Welcome! I'm on magical day 21 today. I'm absolutely loving this way of eating. Good luck!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mkat

Post by mkat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks for the encouragement, AnneK and Zippa Dee!

Day 2: Success

B: smoothie with soy milk pineapples, strawberries, and raspberries & two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey
L: lentil soup with brown rice and peas, 2 apples (yes, two!)
D: mexican pork cemita (sandwich), horchata, and 2 chips with guacamole

I did have a hard time without snacks today and was feeling crabby. But what I love about this plan is the evenings. It really feels good to go to bed knowing that I did not eat like crazy all night after dinner.

mkat

Post by mkat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 am

Day 3: SUCCESS!

B: Cream of wheat with raspberries and milk, handful of peanuts
L: macaroni and cheese, broccoli, apple with peanut butter
D: white bean soup, crackers, artichoke hearts with butter and pecorino romano
E: long walk in the park with a friend

mkat

Post by mkat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 am

Day 4: SUCCESS!

I was home all day today which I thought might be a problem for snacking, but instead I had a lot fewer dishes to wash because I wasn't eating all day! I actually feel more free when I know I just don't have the option to eat.

B: 2 slices of multigrain toast with peanut butter and honey, smoothie with milk and soy milk and fruit (raspberries, mangoes, pineapples)
L: macaroni and cheese, broccoli with butter and pecorino, whole milk yogurt with a little maple syrup
D: 3 slices of pizza (well, it fit on the plate. It did.) and a can of beer.
Exercise: rode my bike to buy groceries and walked about half an hour in the evening

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:45 am

You're doing awesome kat! I think it is more freeing when you just don't snack. You don't have to think about or worry about what you will snack on. You just don't. Have a great day!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mkat

Post by mkat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:40 am

Woohoo, made it through the week!

Day 5: Success

B: coffee and chocolate croissant (okay, maybe that's a little *sweet*) and a smoothie with milk/soy milk, strawberries, mango and banana
L: 2 slices of pizza and sauteed collard greens with garlic
D: grilled cheese and home-made tomato soup, apple-cinnamon yogurt

Tomorrow will be my first weigh-in. I wonder what will happen...

mkat

Post by mkat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Good news! I've lost 2 pounds, down from 172 to 170. My goal is 165 or maybe (when I get there) 160.

Very happy to have results the first week! And when I consider the results, not snacking wasn't very hard. Oddly, I was really craving sugar last night after dinner. I'm very glad today is an S-day, that was the only way I could stop myself!

mkat

Post by mkat » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:33 am

S-Day: Exempt

Today was an S day, and I took it seriously. :)

B: Coffee and croissant.
L: grilled cheese sandwich and homemade tomato soup, piece of chocolate-covered toffee
Afternoon Snacks: Latte, 2 more pieces of toffee, chocolate pudding, 5 spelt crackers, 3 pieces of cookie dough (!)
D: short ribs with carrots and egg noodles, 2 small glasses of red wine, 3 chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk
Exercise: 20 minutes of bike riding and about the same amount of walking
Last edited by mkat on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnneK

Post by AnneK » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 am

What a FINE S day!

I'm totally with you on the toffee.

And congrats on your weight loss!

mkat

Post by mkat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 am

S-Day: Exempt

I ate very irregularly today!

Breakfast: This recipe, which is such a nice treat and a way to get protein in my breakfast! http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/brea ... lla-079472

Lunch 1: 3/4 of a bagel with cream cheese, small piece of chocolate cake

Lunch 2: apple, cheddar cheese, crackers, and a little peanut butter

Snack: tea, more cheese and crackers

Exercise: rode my bike everywhere I went

mkat

Post by mkat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 am

Day 9 - Success!

Breakfast: smoothie (avocado, strawberries, raspberries, banana, a little yogurt, milk, and soy milk)
Lunch: grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup, apple, almonds
Dinner: 2 eggs on tortillas with avocado, sour cream, cheese and hot sauce

AnneK

Post by AnneK » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:05 am

YUM! You are eating all my favorite foods. I'm coming over!

mkat

Post by mkat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I know, they are my favorites, too! This is getting easier.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

I think I'll start out today with a smoothie too. Sounds good!!

mkat

Post by mkat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 am

Hi everyone!

Day 10 - Success!

Really noticing today and yesterday how much I want to eat sweets after dinner. I think this is particularly because I had eggs on tortillas for dinner, which is what I often eat when I'm tired and don't want to spend a lot of energy cooking - and on nights when I was tired, I would often eat sugar like crazy. Verrrrrry interesting. Anyway, here's what I ate today.

B - Egg and cheese on a hard roll.
L - short ribs on egg noodles, garlicky collard greens, apple, almonds
D - 2 eggs on tortillas with avocado, sour cream, hot sauce and cheddar

This was a very eggy day! How I do love eggs.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am

And isn't it awesome that you can eat what you love!! :D Have a great day!

Diets Don't Work.

AnneK

Post by AnneK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 am

Eggs eggs eggs!

I have relied a lot on sugar (and coffee!) myself to keep me going when I am sleepy. I wonder if maybe what I really need to do when I am tired and sleepy is get some rest.

!!

mkat

Post by mkat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 am

Okay, Day 11! Success!

B: smoothie (avocado, raspberries, strawberries, soy milk, regular milk, lemon)
L: bean soup & collard greens, apple
D: salmon, brown rice and veggie bowl (takeout), elderflower spritzer, small bag of popcorn

mkat

Post by mkat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 am

Day 12: Success!

B: weetabix cereal and milk
L: indian restaurant - that crispy bread they serve with the 3 sauces, coconut milk soup, sag paneer, curry chicken, rice, garlic naan - and a tiny spoonful of rice pudding at the end, and also a tootsie roll candy (I'm not counting it as a failure, but duly noted - I don't want this to be a habit!)
D: grilled cheese and tomato soup, glass of red wine

Got to go for a walk today - the weather is so wonderful. I love fall.

mkat

Post by mkat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:44 am

Day 13: Success!

B: Bagel with veggie cream cheese, grapefruit juice
L: tomato soup and grilled cheese, apple
D: chicken noodle soup, cheese and crackers, apple crumble yogurt

mkat

Post by mkat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Day 14 - S-Day - Exempt

Ha. The beast was just waiting to come out. But I want to be accountable for what I do every day; for me that really helps. And I also want to remind myself that it's okay to do whatever I want on S-Days, especially while I'm getting the hang of the program.

B1: small chocolate croissant
B2: greek yogurt, pomegranate
L: Grilled cheese and tomato soup, 3 chocolate chip cookies, expensive dark chocolate
Snack (in the park): white wine, a few bites of bread, maple sugar candy
Snack: more maple sugar candy
Dinner (at a vegetarian chinese restaurant): tea, dumplings, lo mein, veggie lamb curry/vegetables, veggie chicken, brown rice - surprisingly good!
Snack: junior mints, at the movies
Later: 2 beers
And finally: cheese and crackers at 2 am

:)
Are you guys impressed that i remembered all of that?

mkat

Post by mkat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:00 am

Day 15 - S-Day - Exempt

B: 3 scrambled eggs with cheddar on tortillas, with sour cream and hot sauce
L: chicken noodle soup (homemade!), chocolate
Snack: ginger ale
D: pretzels and chocolate chip cookies (what kind of dinner is that?)
EDIT: Dinner 2 = apple with cheddar cheese
Exercise: rode my bike about 11 1/2 miles

I am a little sick today. This may explain what I ate.
Last edited by mkat on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnneK

Post by AnneK » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 am

Holy crap we ate the same dinner last night. Well, I added Greek yogurt. Does that make my dinner any healthier?

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: Too funny. You all must be bosom friends. Have you ever seen the show "Anne of Green Gables"...if so you will appreciate the phrase "bosom friends" more.

Have a great day kat!!

Diets Don't Work.

mkat

Post by mkat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Yesterday, guys, was a failure. But not today!

mkat

Post by mkat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Hmm. Yesterday turned out to be a second failure, but a much less spectacular one! Thinking I'm really back on track today.

B: 2 eggs scrambled with cheddar and garlicky chard on tortillas, with hot sauce and sour cream
L: homemade chicken soup, pear, lemon yogurt, crackers
D: pasta with homemade tomato sauce and creme fraiche
An hour later: brownie and a glass of milk (the failure)

Not so bad, really. It's been a tough couple of days and those comforting-with-food habits are sneaking back in.

mkat

Post by mkat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:02 am

Day 18: failure!

I made a very conscious choice for the second day in a row to eat a brownie after dinner. It didn't really help with my stress, but at least I only ate one! I don't think there's any point in feeling bad about it. It also helps to read the stories of others who've had a few difficult N days... its about the long haul, not one or two or three failures.

B: smoothie with soy milk, yogurt, pineapple, mango and banana (soy milk + yogurt = weird, do not try this at home)
L: homemade chicken noodle soup, apple, almonds
Snack: Orange
D: pasta with homemade tomato sauce and creme fraiche; roasted brussel sprouts with garlic
After dinner: Brownie and a glass of milk

Took a long walk in the park with a friend.

By Friday at 5 pm, the paper I'm trying to write (the source of my stress) should be gone... just in time for S days! :)