just keeping track

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

flutterby7

just keeping track

Post by flutterby7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:20 pm

today is actually day three for me so i switched over to the daily check in forum. Here is how it went:
Day 1: Success
Day 2 SUCCESS! even ate out and couldn't believe I could have what i had, but it was one plate and event the smaller size i use at home
Day 3 : so far so good but... today for luch I tackle the buffet! I have been invited to lunch by one of my dearest friends at a place with a pizza buffet. Now can I just get one plate from the buffet? hmm that will be the test. Or I could just order from the menu.... I will check back later to keep track.

question: my mom (God love her) doesn't know I am trying this No S diet and brought me a starbucks this morning. grande vanilla latte. now, I didn't drink but 1/4 of it because it was too sweet. but, do i consider this a drink or a fail day because it is definitely a sweet (in my mind anyway, i was going to save it for an S day) or do I switch today for an S day this weekend? Any thoughts?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:15 pm

A) Yes, you can stick to one plate from a buffet!

B) In the interests of clarity, take the failure, recognize it's a small one, and move on.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I conquered the buffet! One plate and it included about 1/3 of it covered in salad. yea!

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Great Day! good solid breakfast (egg&cheese on toast), good lunch (pizza bread) felt oddly guilty about this but it fit on one plate and a small plate at that. I am not so crazy hungry that I am dying for the weekend and my S days free for all. I was having major growly stomach this morning so I ate breakfast at home when I usually eat at work at 8 or 8:30 but I stayed full and was not extra hungry for lunch, cool. I am planning my sweet but not so crazy that I will make it for breakfast. It's weird this feeling of freedom. Also ordered Wii Fit yesterday since I can't get out to work out since I am home with three kids when I am not at work. But then , they should enjoy it also :-) I may even try the sledgehammer thing, lol. Lets review:
Started No S on 1/4/11 - Success
1/5 - Success
1/6 - hmm not sure what to call this i guess Fail due to latte, but good rest of day
1/7 - Success so far :-) only one meal to go
1/8 - S day
1/9 - S day

no snacks, no sweets, no seconds - that's my mantra and I have to keep repeating it to myself every day M-F that is.

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:55 am

i went off the deep end today. Wow, Failure so ugly i am not going to go into detail. and then i got on the scale(I haven't done that for months) and almost cried. Really? Really? How did I let this get so bad! Sigh, well tomorrow is another day and i will try again.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

Failure isn't ugly, not in No S. Failure is a day, out of many. When you start piling up more green days instead of red days, that is satisfying. We all have red days, in eating, and in life. Good luck tomorrow!

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm

awww i feel your pain. i have had some really ugly failures too. but I agree with Over43. we all have red days. i know that probably doesn't completely cheer you up, but just remember tomorrow (today?) is a new day! :)